Sturmey archer S-RK3 cracking cluncking in first gear

I_One
I_One Posts: 3
Hi am new here. I tried to search my problem here and on google too but nothing useful came up.
My Sram I-motion 3 hub broke. The first / low gear paws broke and I could not find replacement parts. So I got the Sturmey S-RK3 and at the same time went from flat bars to drop bars whit bar end shifting. The shift lever is a genuine Sturmey I dont think its the problem.
It is the same lever like the thumb shifter that came whit the hub just the mount is different.
But soon after I started riding it I have noticed sometimes when I am going up a steep hill or getting going from a stop it makes clucking or cracking noises. But only in first.
The other gears work well.

The position of that shoulder on the indicator keeps moving in second gear. Sometimes its spot on at the end of the axle and sometimes its inside like 2mm.
But when I am in first its always almost maxed out. There is sometimes 1mm sometimes 2mm of movement in the indicator in first gear when I pull it by hand.
In third gear the chain is slack its hitting the frame that slack
When testing the shifting I turned the pedals a small amount to make sure it has fallen into gear properly.

So the question should a loosen or tighten that adjuster??
Or put some oil into it? Its at 200km only I dont think its rusted or dirty inside.
In the shop that build the wheel they told me its only the second sturmey they ever saw so I dont think they would be of much help.
spilo is offline Report Post

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Is it the same hub as in a Brompton 3 speed?
    left the forum March 2023
  • I_One
    its not the same but similar. It shifts whit an indicator + chain.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    hmmm why do my responses need moderating?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Sturmey Archer three speeds are pretty bombproof once youve set them up properly.
    It sounds like the gears havent been set up properly.

Correct tension is achieved using the screw in cable connector near the hub.

It is a simple process. Here is a link I refer to since i only see them once every 6 - 8 weeks or so, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html its a good reminder.
    Once it's set up just ride. Depending on mileage and conditions you might need to get the hub serviced every so often but a chain and cog is usually it. The hub itself can be rebuilt if need be. I've never done it but i wouldnt be put off if I had to. It's a good product.

you will need to adjust the gear every time you repair a rear wheel puncture.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    what he said....
    left the forum March 2023
  • I_One
    I think its adjusted properly it has very little movement left in the indicator in low gear and third is slack.