DB Wheel upgrade

Hi everyone,

I’m considering an upgrade of my Fulcrum Racing 900 DB to something lighter and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. I’m examine 2 sets, a Fulcrum Racing 3 DB vs DT Swiss PR 1600 spline DB 23. On paper Fulcrums are slightly heavier and not tubeless competable, but I don’t see many DT swiss equipped bikes, when I hit the road and I didn’t have had the experience with DT swiss (I had Fulcrum Racing 7 equipped bike for several years). I don’t look for extreme low weight or aero features, but for reliability and ease of maintenance, so a regular mechanic could service them and of course have no plans to ride gravel with a road bike. What is in the best option in your opinion the budget of 350 – 400 Euros?

Thanks’ in advice

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you can push your budget a fraction then some handbuilt wheels are a possibility. These from Malcolm at Cyclecinic would fit the bill

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-disc-brake-wheelsets/products/borg22-disc-road-cx-wheelset-front-and-rear-heavy-rider-touring-28-spoke

Many on this forum (including me) have sourced wheels from Malcolm and can vouch for the quality and reliability
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    The DT Swiss rear hub requires a specific tool for servicing if that makes a difference. Having said that my 240s (very similar) have been very reliable and I'm only now considering buying the servicing tool after 5000 miles in all weather conditions. There is no issue I just figured I should probably give them a clean out and re-grease at some point.
  • DCR wheels and wheelsmith give you plenty of options at good prices.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    i.bhamra said:

The DT Swiss rear hub requires a specific tool for servicing if that makes a difference. Having said that my 240s (very similar) have been very reliable and I'm only now considering buying the servicing tool after 5000 miles in all weather conditions. There is no issue I just figured I should probably give them a clean out and re-grease at some point.

The hubs on some R24 Spline wheels I had did not require any special tool.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I think the wheels the OP referred to have the 350 hubs (I may be wrong though), but if it is those they have the star ratchet freehub mechanism which needs a splined tool remove the lock ring and access the hub bearings.