New shoes...

Hey all,

After 9 years of use my old specialized comp Road shoes have finally died.

They been fantastic, and very happy.

New shoes wise I'd like to upgrade on what I had.

I'm currently looking at specialized torch 3.0 which I've found on discount, just wondering how stiff they are ie climbing and sprinting compared to my old comps.

Budget wise upto £200.

Thanks

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    edited August 2020
    I moved from Spesh Comp (two velcro straps) to Torch 3. They do feel stiffer but I wouldn't say it is a dramatic difference.

They took longer to wear in which is a probably a function of the stiffness. I wore the box standard Comp versions but with the Torch 3 I had to fit a pair of Spesh orthotics (blue version) to support my arch.

I'd still buy the Torch in the same circumstances. I paid £200 in June 2018.

Note that I am not a racing snake and the Torch are well beyond by cycling performance. I wanted Spesh shoes with Boa and the Torch were on offer.
  • The nearest competition to torch I see are the shimano rc7 shoes retailing around £150.

Any experiences of these and or comparison to specialized torch.
    Cheers
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I'm a fan of Shimano shoes. They always seem really well made and fit me well.

That said, Fizik ones always look fantastic, e.g.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/fizik-aria-r3-road-shoes-108547.html
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited August 2020
    I have the torch 3.0 shoes and also the sworks 7.

The sworks shoes are, as expected, noticeably stiffer but the torch are stiff enough, far more comfortable and are my go to shoe.
  • redvision said:

The sworks shoes are, as expected, noticeably stiffer but the torch are stiff enough, far more comfortable and are my go to shoe.

Cheers for insight, seen I can get a pair of torch 3s for £132 so reckon that's a hard bargain to say no too.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833

redvision said:

Cheers for insight, seen I can get a pair of torch 3s for £132 so reckon that's a hard bargain to say no too.
    Not sure why you are hesitating especially if you know Spesh fit you. Moving to another brand will be a bigger risk in terms of fit and comfort.
  • navrig2 said:

redvision said:

Not sure why you are hesitating especially if you know Spesh fit you. Moving to another brand will be a bigger risk in terms of fit and comfort.
    Tbh I wanted a upgrade and heard many good things of shimano but agree with you and glad I've stuck with the brand, shoes are lovely