mavic allroad elite and gravel king sk

Hi i in january this year i purchased a mavic allroad elite wheelset for my gravel bike and after about 6 weeks i was disapointed with the tyres that came with them so i purchased gravel kings sk 38mm with everything being set up tubeless. i have run these for around 1000 trouble free miles now but yesterday whilst doing around 18mph on a flat tarmac road the front tyre just came of the rim (with an almighty bang) on close inspection i could see no damage to the tyre and i refitted with a tube and made my way home cautiously. the rim of my brand new mavic wheel is however badly damaged given it rode on tarmac for around 20 metres while i carefully came to a stop. has anyone else experienced this have i chosen wrong tyres/wheels would i be safer with tubes or have i just been extremely unlucky. tyres were at the correct recommended 60psi although i do question the calibration of my old track pump guage.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    60 psi seems very high to me for 38mm tyres. I'd use about half of that if riding on gravel trails.
  • i was had put them to 60psi as i was going to be on roads all day and had run this way a lots of times. im concerned now that if i buy new front wheel it happens again , do you think i would be safer fitting an inner tube permanently as to be honest i see and feel little advantage to tubeless
  • i was had put them to 60psi as i was going to be on roads all day and had run this way a lots of times. im concerned now that if i buy new front wheel it happens again , do you think i would be safer fitting an inner tube permanently as to be honest i see and feel little advantage to tubeless

The GravelKings SK are blow up big, 60psi is right on the max pressures for tubless. And they are quite lightweight. Clearly they shouldn’t of blown off the rim, but tubeless clearly has its advantages at the lower pressures.
  • fallenagain
    fallenagain Posts: 25
    edited September 2020
    Having had a quick search round, there are two issues here. First of all, the rims are hookless and need compatible tyres which the Gravel Kings aren't. Secondly, the maximum allowable pressure for the rims is 44PSI. So keep an eye on the specs, which are changing almost daily.