Monday , tell me why I don’t like Mondays

Morning, miserable damp and grey, rain forecast for most of the day, I might have to start decorating again, or would I be better off getting wet on the bike ?
Have a good week

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    'ning

forecast here is sunny with extreme uv

lazy ride, cafes, shops, extreme basking
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    'Ning

Grey and damp here. UV index is possibly something negative.
    Hardly slept, and must have been at an awkward angle because I've given myself backache and a sore Achilles.

LD, do you have a wet weather bike for days like today?

Sungod, have you found the tabby yet?
  • sungod

Sungod, have you found the tabby yet?

on a road of transcendental smoothness, amidst the shimmering mirage, the tabby materialised, i stopped for a chat

she asked why humans were not quarantined to stop them giving the virus to innocent pussycats

i explained that while this was sometimes through ignorance and selfishness, it was often simply a well meaning desire to pamper their feline owners that resulted in inadvertent transmission
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning,

Agree on the weather, its utter garbage, damp down here in the Heck counties with more rain an possibly storms later.

Did attempt a pedal yesterday on the gravel bike brakes screaming constantly so binning those an replacing them. Need to remember remove pads before cleaning appears disc brakes are fussy.
    Dug out the old commuter hack, been lurking in the garage for a good six months un ridden. Bar the chain being a bit gunky it rode like a dream. Think some mudguards will be needed with this mainly aquatic weather were having.

More work based shenanigans, is it home time yet?
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441

'Ning

Yes I do but I removed the mudguards when I serviced the bike, as the rear one was damaged, I suppose I should order some new ones, it brightening up a bit at the moment, so when I have done a few little jobs I will be out, unless the heavens open up again

• thistle_

'Ning

Yes I do but I removed the mudguards when I serviced the bike, as the rear one was damaged, I suppose I should order some new ones, it brightening up a bit at the moment, so when I have done a few little jobs I will be out, unless the heavens open up again

If you go fast enough you don't get wet.
    Maybe.
  • Morning all, mini DHL fed, just waiting for mrs DHL to see if she's going to have breakfast at 8am or 11am. Imm supposedcto book a table for lunch but no point if breakfast is late. Possible walk in the purbecks as the weather should keep the zombie hordes at bay.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    Getting stuck into a bit of work and the absence of meetings for most of the day. Bit tired as senior hound thought he could hear something suspicious a few times in the night and decided to bark to let us know. So coffee seems appropriate.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    sungod said:

...it was often simply a well meaning desire to pamper their feline servants that resulted in inadvertent transmission

FTFY.

[Don't lie - they'll see through it]

Dull here too.
    Must go and lump some lumpy wood around. That's me fixed up for the winter err, I mean long rainy season.

On that note, have Aldi brought out their winter bike kit stuff yet? I need one of their breathable bright yellow waterproofs. They're excellent BTW.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    Another day done, another day billed. I should be concerned, embarrassed, guilty, or something about the almost complete lack of any effort on my part, and the totally complete lack of any input from my (on paper) employers.

But DILLIGAF?

Nope. Ker-Ching.

Translation: today I was paid to browse BookFace, shop online for stuff I don't need, and stare out the window enjoying a coffee and cake. Win!

Even went for a ride at their expense, which made it just slightly awkward to be miffed at the light shower that dampened my glasses.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    Ditched the current idea of driving to Italy through France because of, well, CV.

Flying instead now.

Has anyone had any experience of flying in the current climate? Any tips other than a full haz-matt suit?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_

Ditched the current idea of driving to Italy through France because of, well, CV.

Flying instead now.

Has anyone had any experience of flying in the current climate? Any tips other than a full haz-matt suit?

Sungod/hopkinb class sounds like it's the way to go.
    Probably makes it more of a holiday too if you can afford it (and if it's available on that particular route).
    If you were planning on driving down to Italy you could always drive to Heathrow/Gatwick to get a better flight.
  • Stevo_666

But DILLIGAF?

It would be amusing if your real name was Kevin :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod

Flying instead now.

air on a plane is safe, it's refreshed more often than most ground environments and goes through hepa filters

my flight was only 25-30% full, but it'll depend on airline, route, date etc.

airport services like parking, shops etc. may not be as normal, for uk airlines looks like onboard catering/buy on board is reduced or eliminated

masks have to be worn except when eating/drinking, but tbh overall i found lhr and the flight more pleasant than normal!

there are some special provisions for flights to italy, at one point they banned cabin baggage, but i think that's over now, but i'd plan on filling in forms and extra queues both ends
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Think they still have them, bottom of the window there will be a tiny winy hole, have to breathe through that to be safe ;)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Can be arsed to read above, but sat in the sun drinking cider 😎
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Flying instead now.

Sungod/hopkinb class sounds like it's the way to go.
    Probably makes it more of a holiday too if you can afford it (and if it's available on that particular route).
    If you were planning on driving down to Italy you could always drive to Heathrow/Gatwick to get a better flight.
    :)

Love the idea of it being hopkinb class! It's definitely sungod's milieu - I'm Cov scum. I always had an ambition to turn left upon entering a plane, but when we did get upgraded to business on the way home from Florida last year, the business cabin was on the right, and all the cattle class types had to come past on the way to their 9 hours of unpleasantness. Mind you, I soon outed myself as a noob, by being unable to operate the privacy screen. I didn't really want to, as I had a good view of a French woman of my age, in exceedingly good nick, who was getting stuck into the champers a la sungod, while I had a couple of very large Hine cognacs. I thought my slack-jawed gawping was making her uncomfortable though, so I tried to do the decent thing, failed, and she had to show me how...

Mrs H3 wants to get up to silver/gold, so is forever upgrading herself whenever she flies. It can actually be surprisingly cheap, especially when you consider what you have to pay to check a bag.

Work today - trying to explain complicated and arcane German tax rules to Japanese business guys with no tax knowledge. Trying to get my minions to do something that should be simple. Beating my head against a brick wall would have been easier, and more fulfilling.
  • thistle_
    hopkinb said:

Mrs H3 wants to get up to silver/gold, so is forever upgrading herself whenever she flies. It can actually be surprisingly cheap, especially when you consider what you have to pay to check a bag.

I got up to bronze with some epic work trip halfway round the world but it's probably expired now as it was about 5 years ago.
    Tried to blag lounge access with it a couple of times but was always directed to the scum class lounge.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Evening folks,
    What's an aeroplane?
    Busy day of working in the office, aircon was nice as it was quite humid out. Had to resist making others look stupid, they managed successfully without my help.
    Another fun day with A level results, hope you haven't been working DHL. On the subject of which I wonder how flan is doing, wasn't admissions his bag.
    Another day of wfw tomorrow.
  • sungod
    the lounge dragons are expert at rebuffing blaggers

bear in mind ba has cut the tier points needed

you can get silver now in just three returns in club europe if you choose the 80 tp/leg routes - i.e. 3x160 tp is 480, silver only needs 450 at the moment

if you expect to fly ba much, silver is has some decent benefits

tp by route chart here...

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/01/11/how-many-tier-points-does-each-british-airways-route-earn/
  • pinno

Evening folks,
    What's an aeroplane?

Some silly feckers think that you get in an aluminium tube powered by Kerosene burners and go up in the sky and then land somewhere else.
    Bizarre.

@Flaneur

That should rattle his cage.

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited August 2020
    She peruses that regularly. Our/her cancelled trips from Spring/early summer (JFK in biz, MAD and OSL in the same and LEI in econ) plus this one to Crete and her to Ibiza in Oct would have had her on the gold borders. She's a bit obsessed. For a nicer lounge, she doesn't even really drink the bubbly. It's her cash, not mine...

As long as I have 5 mg diazepam, and a cognac, i put on the noise cancellers and I'm sparko until doors to manual and cross check. Mind you, the kids can cause havoc...
  • pinno
    That's the only way you'll get me on a plane but that's no use when normally, i'm the driver at the other end.

• thistle_
    hopkinb said:

As long as I have 5 mg diazepam, and a cognac, i put on the noise cancellers and I'm sparko until doors to manual and cross check. Mind you, the kids can cause havoc...

does the diazepam and cognac not work for them?
  • pinno

hopkinb said:

does the diazepam and cognac not work for them?
    Ha ha. My though was that Diazepam is a depressant and Cognac a stimulant.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2020
    Used to travel a lot with work in my old job and while lounges and the occasional upgrade to first were nice perks of being 'gold', I wasn't going to spend my own money getting to that tier as it just wasn't worth it.

Nice while it lasted and I still have some air miles left over for a long haul holiday or two at some point.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    My apologies for not responding to SG above yesterday, I did actually type a reply and then for some reason closed down my browser.

I shan't be flying anything other than Economy I'm afraid, us northerners are careful (not tight, just careful) and the lounge doesn't open for my arrival time the airport.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    Stevo_666 said:

Used to travel a lot with work in my old job and while lounges and the occasional upgrade to first were nice perks of being 'gold', I wasn't going to spend my own money getting to that tier as it just wasn't worth it.

Nice while it lasted and I still have some air miles left over for a long haul holiday or two at some point.

Yeah did that too. I accumulated so many miles I bought my sister a few first class return flights Oz to US and Canada for skiing holidays, because the last thing I wanted to do was get on another bloody plane...

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS