Rapha pro bib shorts ,comfortable?

lincolndave
lincolndave Posts: 9,441
edited August 2020 in The bottom bracket
As per title really anyone else riding in these, are these shorts ok for 5 / 6 hour rides
I usually buy castelli but there quality has dropped a bit of late in my opinion , the rapha shorts have good reviews, how are the rapha for sizing ?
Thanks for any replies

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I got a pair of classic bib shorts for my birthday in June and they are more comfortable than the newer versions of Assos bibs which is what I have worn for years. I have done a few 70/80 mile rides in them and they are fine. I wear a large in Assos and these are also a large although they are slightly longer in the leg. I’m 5’8” I can wear a medium in the Assos but have problems if I stand up straight.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    I have some Pro Team bibs but wouldn't buy them again.

The pad is very comfortable, however the fit isn't as good as some I've had, and the material has faded a bit over time.

The fit is a bit bigger than Castelli in my view, maybe half a size bigger.

Pactimo are my personal favourites. Excellent pad and build quality. Price is relatively reasonable if you get them on sale or use a discount code.

That said, bibs are like shoes, what works for one person might not suit another.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The incarnation of Pro bibs from a few years ago were the best fit, IMO, but the more recent versions are still great. And very comfortable.

I wear M in everything Rapha (except gilets - L) and M in Assos jerseys, S in Assos bibs/tights. If that helps at all!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Thanks for the replies lads, I think I will invest in a pair of mediums, I see they also offer a free returns
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited August 2020
    I’ve got 2 pairs. I find them to be really very comfy on a long ride. The only bibs I have that out punch them are Castelli Rosso Corsa Superleggeras.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437

As per title really anyone else riding in these, are these shorts ok for 5 / 6 hour rides
    I usually buy castelli but there quality has dropped a bit of late in my opinion , the rapha shorts have good reviews, how are the rapha for sizing ?
    Thanks for any replies

fwiw only castelli ones i've used are rosso corsa ones, i found the pad lost 'body' relatively fast, but the new pad design seems much better (though it takes much longer to dry after washing)

the aero race 4 bibs for instance, the superlegeras mentioned above also have the new pad but imho sizing on these is odd even for castelli, i'd go one size larger with them than the aero race etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I have assos, castelli (only rosso corsa, new and old pad), rapha core and rapha pro, and some chpt 3, which are castelli. My only advice would be to not buy rapha core, they aren't fit for purpose. The assos are the midrange short and are super up to 3 hours. The others work better on longer rides, not that I do so many of them.
  • feltf70
    feltf70 Posts: 20
    I find the Pro Team shorts very comfortable as well - for me, I wear the same size in Rapha shorts, as I do in Castelli.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    There isn't much comfort difference between core and Pro, with the core being my preference as the fit is better. However my Assos S9's have so far been the best shorts I've owned. I've come full circle. My old Assos are a little bit worse for wear than my Rapha shorts which are two years younger.

Comfort, build and material quality is top drawer on the Assos but I appreciate chamois are a personal preference.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    The new Galibier bibs must be worth considering, look like a really premium product...
    https://galibier.cc/product/regale-shorts/
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    slowmart said:

There isn't much comfort difference between core and Pro, with the core being my preference as the fit is better. However my Assos S9's have so far been the best shorts I've owned. I've come full circle. My old Assos are a little bit worse for wear than my Rapha shorts which are two years younger.

Comfort, build and material quality is top drawer on the Assos but I appreciate chamois are a personal preference.

I have some Core Cargo bibs, probably the most comfortable pair I have, I do like the fact the pad is effectively two pieces makes packing them away far easier.

Another vote for Galibier, I have a couple of bits from them, bibs are most excellent though I seem to be too small leg wise for them now.
    I have a Mistral Gilet which is brilliant, water and windproof, high viz strip up the back and lots of reflective bits plus a handy pocket for pocketing things. I have a heavy weight winter jacket from them, been out -10 in that an a base layer then come back sweating like a pig.