Marking a dropper post

I bought an e-mountainbike for my parents, they differ quite a bit in height, and want to ride the same bike. So I want to get the longest dropper post I can fit for the tallest person (dad) and simply make a marking at the ride height for mom.
I know making a mark in an aluminium seat post is just a matter of marking it with a sharp object, but this would damage the seals on a dropper.

Could I still mark it like this, polish it smooth, and cover it with nail polish? I've seen GMBN do this as a repair, and I'm hoping it could be visible for my mom to set to that height.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I wouldn't, it can cause issues. The nail varnish may help for existing scratches, but it's not something I would do deliberately. What would be better is to show your mom an easy technique for getting approximately the right height, such as putting a heel on the pedal and having a straight leg.
  • I wouldn't, it can cause issues. The nail varnish may help for existing scratches, but it's not something I would do deliberately. What would be better is to show your mom an easy technique for getting approximately the right height, such as putting a heel on the pedal and having a straight leg.

I think that is the best thing to do.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Depending on where it is routed internally or externally and how the cable is actually routed you may have to be careful of how you keep moving the insertion height. It's easy for the cable to get out of position on the actuator.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut