LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    David Aaronovitch in The Times today really not impressed by Evgeny Lebedev being ennobled: "This Gatsby de nos jours is not, as far as I can tell, a bad man. It’s not his fault that his main qualification in life has been his father’s wealth. But he no more deserves a place in the British legislature than your uncle Cedric. "

And Claire Fox, ex Revolutionary Communist?

"Last year Ms Fox won a seat as an MEP. The problem was that her constituency, North West England, included the town of Warrington. In 1993 the liberation warriors of the IRA had exploded a bomb in the town centre killing two young boys, Tim Parry and Johnathan Ball. In the wake of that bombing the Parry family helped to start a peace movement. The RCP’s “response to Warrington” was to support the attack — “we defend the right of the Irish people to take whatever measures are necessary in their struggle for freedom” — and to decry the peace movement. They even attempted to disrupt a commemoration held that month in Hyde Park.

That was 27 years ago. It’s not prehistory. My eldest daughter is the same age as Johnathan Ball would have been. But in the years since then Claire Fox has never regretted, resiled from or apologised for her stance at the time. Before her election last year she merely said that “I don’t hold those views any more because there is no war going on in Ireland any more”. Adding, “my personal politics and views are well known . . . though on this issue they have remained unaired for many years.” They have, have they? Orwell would have admired the use of the passive tense there.

And the prime minister? He who castigated Corbyn over the IRA? According to No 10 this week Ms Fox “has addressed her historic comments about the Troubles”. Historic comments! Any weasel would be proud of that euphemism."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/57e36116-d734-11ea-8f95-6d813022b2d7
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,535
    Yeah it’s rotten.

Also noticed Tories removed the stipulation that a certain proportion of new housing developments must be ‘affordable’ (trivial pet hate of mine that term). 🤨
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14946

£17bn lost on a fat finger trade by the govt.

No accountability. No comeback. Just swept under the carpet.
  • https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14946

Any idea why they did not remove it for everybody - so saving money and allowing them to laugh at a Pyrrhic victory
  • kingstongraham

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14946

Any idea why they did not remove it for everybody - so saving money and allowing them to laugh at a Pyrrhic victory
    Are you really asking why didn't the Conservative government do something that takes something away from older voters?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    How does the government get to discriminate by age for other things e.g. minimum wage?
  • kingstongraham

How does the government get to discriminate by age for other things e.g. minimum wage?

It's argued that a lower rate encourages employment of younger people, which is a legitimate aim.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,609
    Young individuals aren't in a position to take the government to court and don't have the support of unions.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717

My guess would be that no one has properly challenged it. As the judges and firefighters did in the report above.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552

It's argued that a lower rate encourages employment of younger people, which is a legitimate aim.
    I've heard the justification, I just don't understand how it fits with the legislation. I doubt it would be possible to, for example, pay women less to become refuse collectors on the basis that it would encourage employment of women.
  • kingstongraham

I've heard the justification, I just don't understand how it fits with the legislation. I doubt it would be possible to, for example, pay women less to become refuse collectors on the basis that it would encourage employment of women.
    True. The other justifications are that it somewhat encourages young people to stay in education, and young people's living expenses are lower. The second justification wouldn't achieve any legitimate aim, but the first might.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,609
    Looks like even his own MPs are losing patience with Johnson. An article by Isabel Hardman.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/16/tory-mps-have-given-their-leaders-the-benefit-of-the-doubt-until-now

One MP describes him as "w***ing into the void".
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,670
    rjsterry said:

Looks like even his own MPs are losing patience with Johnson. An article by Isabel Hardman.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/16/tory-mps-have-given-their-leaders-the-benefit-of-the-doubt-until-now

Not surprising. BloJo (and for the benefit of any reader who does not find that funny, it's not funny, it's derogatory, see what I did there?) is a lying devious narcissist w@nker whose seed unfortunately has penetrated all our lives, not just the mini harem of females who have borne an unspecified number of mini FatBos
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    orraloon said:

rjsterry said:

Not surprising. BloJo (and for the benefit of any reader who does not find that funny, it's not funny, it's derogatory, see what I did there?) is a lying devious narcissist w@nker whose seed unfortunately has penetrated all our lives, not just the mini harem of females who have borne an unspecified number of mini FatBos
    You missed out the alleged biscuits. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,415
    orraloon said:

rjsterry said:

Conventional wisdom would have us believe that the bitterest substance known to man is denatonium bezoate (Bitrex). We were wrong - it's the bile of Orraloon ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    Come on then Tory boy, set out precisely the plus points for the dUK having Wank4rBo as PM.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Come on then Tory boy, set out precisely the plus points for the dUK having Wank4rBo as PM.

My point is how bitter you seem to be. Cheer up, it could have been Magic Grandpa in charge, propped up by Wee Jimmy Krankie.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    And there you have it. Nul points for BloJo. Even from ToryBoy. Strange days, most peculiar.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

And there you have it. 80 seat majority for BloJo.

FTFY.

You saying you preferred the alternative? :D
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

My point is how bitter you seem to be. Cheer up, it could have been Magic Grandpa in charge, propped up by Wee Jimmy Krankie.
    I hear Barcelona are trying to say it would have been worse with Corbyn in charge.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I hear Barcelona are trying to say it would have been worse with Corbyn in charge.
    And your dream team out of the available choices would be...?
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

And your dream team out of the available choices would be...?
    https://youtu.be/g-xK2SnT7Vs
  • Stevo_666
    So basically what you and Looneybin are saying by not answering my question about a viable alternative is that he's bad, but the best of a bad bunch?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,842
    Stevo_666 said:

So basically what you and Looneybin are saying by not answering my question about a viable alternative is that he's bad, but the best of a bad bunch?

Come on, Stevo, you're the one avoiding admitting that the Government is incompetent. Even Jeremy Warner has seen the light. It's in the Telegraph, so it must be true. Go, on, you can do it. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/08/16/has-become-britain-cannot-get-covid-strategy-right/
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

No.

No idea if Corbyn would be better or not, but I can honestly say I never voted for him. Given a binary choice, I might have.

Viable alternatives who would be preferable? Off the top of my head, only of people who have tried: Hunt, May, Starmer, Burnham.
  • orraloon
    orraloon said:

It's all gone quiet. C'mon Toryboy JATFQ.

• Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

It's all gone quiet. C'mon Toryboy JATFQ.

My point above was how bitter you seem to be. Thanks for supplying more evidence ;)
  • kingstongraham
    So does Williamson go (again)?
  • rick_chasey
    No precedent to suggest anyone will resign for a massive f*ck up.