sunday bound for a star with fiery oceans

'ning

ride far, eat much, many climby climbs and swoopy descents, bask
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited August 2020
    Morning from a very wet Lincolnshire , not sure what’s happening today , dog walked and dried, just having a coffee
    Have a good day
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    edited August 2020
    That damn grey stuff has drifted North. Thanks, you b4st4rds.

Eldest wanted a walk around an estate today. Well that's what she said yesterday but so far she's not inclined.

Watched Friday and Saturday's highlights of the Dauphine and then Il Lombardia. 4 hours cycling fest last night.
    Overdose.

Bed time for you Spinner? Another day fixing the clusterfuck to look forward to?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning
    Broken wheel repaired, maybe. Too moist to take it out for a test at the moment.
    Seem to have a cold, might explain why I was nearly beaten by a 12 and 14 year old yesterday.

Anyone seen any good deals on decent inner tubes at the moment? Inner tube drawer in the kitchen seems to be full of tyres but devoid of tubes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Morning.

Slow start to the day and Stropteen is still lounging in her pit after having a mate round for a good part of the day and evening. At least no Dads taxi was needed given she was hosting.

Will walk dogs soon the do some MTB fettling as I'm off roading on Wednesday for a change.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

'Ning
    Broken wheel repaired, maybe. Too moist to take it out for a test at the moment.
    Seem to have a cold, might explain why I was nearly beaten by a 12 and 14 year old yesterday.

Anyone seen any good deals on decent inner tubes at the moment? Inner tube drawer in the kitchen seems to be full of tyres but devoid of tubes.

CRC seem to have a few discounts on inner tubes at the mo. Tried to get one from my LBS yesterday as I was on the high street, but cba to queue for half an hour to get in.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    oxoman said:

Thistle without starting a debate, how about going tubeless. Both my road bikes are and I can't fault them. CX still on tubes though till I change the wheels

Yeah it's on the to do list :wink: MTB is tubeless but I
    have a stash of non tubeless road tyres to get through first.
    Front wheel is tubeless ready so when I'm bored I might see if I can get one of them to seal on it.
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

CRC seem to have a few discounts on inner tubes at the mo. Tried to get one from my LBS yesterday as I was on the high street, but cba to queue for half an hour to get in.

Ta.
    CRC are doing conti tubes for £4.50 each or 6 for £35 :confused:

• pinno
    edited August 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Ta.
    CRC are doing conti tubes for £4.50 each or 6 for £35 :confused:

Not wanting to continue the debate but...

Go latex. They roll better, feels almost like a tub (specially on my Vittoria 28mm's) and they are more puncture resistant.
    (They'll even improve your TT times).

I really do not know what all the fuss is about - they say they are softer, more likely to blow and are a bit of a hassle. That's all bollox.

I've had 1 puncture* in 2 seasons. That might be the Vittoria's superb puncture resistance but I dare say that the Latex inner tubes are partly responsible.

*Yes SG, we don't have a glass shards problem up in the sticks.

They might cost a bit more but in the long run, you'll make the saving.
    And you can use a standard puncture repair patch - my preference is Rema tip top. I find the cheaper patches don't work.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    pinno said:

That damn grey stuff has drifted North. Thanks, you b4st4rds.

Eldest wanted a walk around an estate today. Well that's what she said yesterday but so far she's not inclined.

Watched Friday and Saturday's highlights of the Dauphine and then Il Lombardia. 4 hours cycling fest last night.
    Overdose.

Bed time for you Spinner? Another day fixing the clusterfuck to look forward to?

Bl00dy rain all day here too on and off, mostly on. Minor shed clean up works, a turbo ride till boredom made me nearly fall off. Did some rowing, and even dug out the skipping rope (well, skipping plastic cord thing - no rope involved) but the Achilles didn't appreciate it.

Set up spare amp / speakers in office with laptop as source so I have some serenity to listen to while dealing with the clusterfuck tomorrow!

Bed time in a few hours, am in a bad habit of staying awake late lately.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_

I could get one to to try with the money saved by not falling CRC's multipack scam :wink:

Do you need special glue for the patches?
  • pinno

I could get one...

Do you need special glue for the patches?

(you need two unless you have a unicycle)

No - though I just get the Rema Tip top kit containing their glue so i'm not sure about the rest.

Sometime in the future when you're a bit more flush/less tight*, you'll convert to Vittoria's and virtually do away with this puncture malarkey.

*Pick one.
  • thistle_
    I've got about 100 tip top patches and a tube of Halfords glue (2010 vintage).
    But if the tubes are that good it will be a while before I have to patch one.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    rema tip top kit is tip top, i have one for commute

veloflex tubs are enjoying the glass-free roads, don't think i've ever had one cut in all the times i've been here

rode to haria and back, headwind made the first 60k just brutal, on the plus side i spent most of the way back on 53/11

sadly the entire tiggy-winkle family seemed to have been slaughtered on the road up out of los valles
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

sadly the entire tiggy-winkle family seemed to have been slaughtered on the road up out of los valles

Sounds bad for punctures.

• pinno
    What are you on SG - Corsa,
    sungod said:

rema tip top kit is tip top, i have one for commute

?

Don't you just change the inner tube?
    ...and you don't ride Tubs to work?

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    inner tubes are for repairing, as i think you know
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Good deed day done. Out for a pleasant, and what turned out to be longest ride of year so far, much easier when temps are mid 20s vs mid 30s last weekend.

Came upon a stranded what I thought to be a young lady rider, though the longer the conversation went on, the less sure about that I became. Whatevs, of no significance.

S(he) had a flat, had patches but had no glue. Now I ride tubeless on the road bike. However hold on, in my little box of bits which I do take with me whichever bike I'm on, I might... Yes there is a 1/3rd full tube, and yes it is still soft. There ye go.

I award myself a pat on the back 👍, and have myself a beer...
  • thistle_
    orraloon said:

Came upon a stranded what I thought to be a young lady rider, though the longer the conversation went on, the less sure about that I became. Whatevs, of no significance.

You'll always be wondering now....

You don't get all these weird and wonderful experiences sitting at home or in a car.

Hopefully karma will catch up with you for the good deed someday :smile:
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Took mini to grandma for a few days. Braved Westfield Stratford, as not bought new clothes for approx 2 years. Most items are covered in bike oil or food oil, or dog sh1t.

New shorts x 2. New jeans x 2. Nice evening t-shirts/shirts x 5. 2 x 5 packs of cheap h and m t-shirts. Done for another 2 years. Just need to add a couple of uniqlo fine knit jerseys and all is accomplished. Need a new suit mind, though what with the current situation I might wait a bit.

Tomorrow is bagging up the old stuff for donation/rags.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Dunno if there are any snookerists here? Mad Ronnie seems to have this year sewn up.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Gravel bike rider missing from Saturday, unfortunately body found today. Bad. Wishes to next of kin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-53801988
  • pinno
    hopkinb said:

Dunno if there are any snookerists here? Mad Ronnie seems to have this year sewn up.

Me.

...and what's amazing is that he's held the cue in 100 different ways. Really pi$$es you (me) off.
  • thistle_
    orraloon said:

Gravel bike rider missing from Saturday, unfortunately body found today. Bad. Wishes to next of kin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-53801988

Sad news. Wonder what happened (crash? Heart attack?)