Boardman MHT 8.9

Hi

Some of you may read tbe thread about my voodoo bizango carbon rear wheel wobble thread and now that bike has had to go back to halfords. Pretty much the only other bike they have at around that price range is the boardman mht 8.9. Has anyine got one and whats it like to ride

Andy

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I haven't ridden either bike, but on paper I think I'd opt for the Boardman. There is barely any difference in kit apart from the brakes, weight is with 400g of each other but the Boardman has much better forks with Rockshox Reba.
    I also like the fact that the Boardman has mounting points for a rear rack. No use if you are only ever going to use the bike off road, but if you want to use it for commuting or touring a rack can be very handy.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited August 2020
    The Boarman MHT 8.9 gets a 5* review from Bike Radar's Guy Kesteven. He is the reviewer I trust the most. If he says it's 5* bike for the money then it is!

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mht-8-9-review/

But that was the a Sep'18 review, so the bike may have changed since then, check the specs.

Here is a Jun'20 review from someone I've not heard of, but his review is thorough and he gives good advice in way that will allow you to decide if the bike is good for your needs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYDO2yw9eE
  • Hi I’ve got the boardman 8.9 and it’s a great bike for the money. Had for nearly year now purchased the large but I think it’s just a tad to big for me and will be selling soon if interested?
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    May not be relevant, but I have had a Team FS for 3 1/2 years and apart from the poor set up by Halfords ( little or no air in the suspension and the crank fell off! ) The bike, it's self is great.
    Just normal wear and tear of the drive train over nearly 4,000 trail miles.
    Very happy with it.
  • ToneC
    ToneC Posts: 33
    Got the Boardman 2016 Pro FS and of the 4 or so mountain bikes I have use of, it's the bike I reach for. ( Don't mention the gravel bike)
  • pearceygy said:

Hi I’ve got the boardman 8.9 and it’s a great bike for the money. Had for nearly year now purchased the large but I think it’s just a tad to big for me and will be selling soon if interested?

Unfortunately no good for me unless u take cycle to work scheme. The bikes a replacement so thats why I am stuck with halfords. You say a large is a bit too big. How tall are u you if you don't mind me asking as I'm trying to get a gage. I know inside leg etc is different of people with same heights but as the review said its quite a compact bike. According to website im.between small and medium so whatever happens to come available first as I think both will be suitable