Saturday. Alarmed at being alarmed by impertinent technology.

Good morning. Was asleep, now woken up for the second time. Waiting for impertinent technology engineer to call.
Who knows what is to follow?
Not a Giro Hero!

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, another grey start with that cool northerly blowing, dog already walked, cycling soon , a trip to the garden centre later.
    Have a good day
  • And there I fancied a mooch at Shorter Rochford. Silly me.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    'ning

lazy ride, shops, long bask

many carbs in anticipation of a long hard ride tomorrow (as long as it isn't blowing a gale)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning
    Woke up early and can't get back to sleep either.
    Race later but really not in the mood, not even going to try to fix the creaking bike in protest.
  • thistle_
    oxoman said:

Have a nice day all, good look with the race Thistle.

Might just stay in bed.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

And there I fancied a mooch at Shorter Rochford. Silly me.

According to their C19 update, they are open till 4.

Claver it in grease Thistle. It will either cure the creak or muffle it. Win win. That'll teach it.

Weather seems calm if a little dull but still warmish.

Rear wheel has terminal lateral flex unfortunately fortunately so i'll just go for a few flat rides whilst the newer hoops turn up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Mizzling damp here. Not used to such weather. A wee bit of pottering and house jobbies beckon. Then I foresee an afternoon of Dauphine and Il Lombardia telly ogling. Tough day.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Lie in had, been to tip already. Now for a spot of bike maintenance then into town later for supplies etc. Grey and not so hot which is quite welcome.

Neighbour dropped by last night so say 'his' (he owns it with 6 others) local micro brewery had now moved to its new site and I might want to head up there with him to do some sampling. May just take him up on it :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Mizzling damp here. Not used to such weather. A wee bit of pottering and house jobbies beckon. Then I foresee an afternoon of Dauphine and Il Lombardia telly ogling. Tough day.

I'll catch the Dauphine later. Ineos did a wonderful job of towing all the big boys up the hill and shredding Bernal in the process Thursday* - no spoilers please, i'll get Friday's highlights today.

*Thank fook. Does that mean an open Tdf?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    pinno said:

Nah. Means the tedious yellow Jumbo Visma train strangling the life out of the race stage by stage and making it boring and predictable. Boo. What we want is panache. Etc etc ad infinitum transposing from previous years' comments on Sky.
  • pinno
    It might be battle of the Ineos Jumbo. They might cancel each other out.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Walked dog, in dead calm but cloudy morning. Just drizzle most of the afternoon though so spend most of it faffing in the shed.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, this was followed by mild pottering. Now relaxing with a cuppa.
    Looks like Imposter and the latest milemuncher really need to get a room again, they can't leave each other alone. We need a new irony thread for the fact that the most prolific poster in the old irony, now whinging, thread is Stevo whinging about whingers.
  • pinno
    Summed up nicely VN.

Imposter was giving First Aspect some unwarranted jip on another thread.
  • veronese68
    He's an aris, and I don't mean FA.
  • Stevo_666

Afternoon folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, this was followed by mild pottering. Now relaxing with a cuppa.
    Looks like Imposter and the latest milemuncher really need to get a room again, they can't leave each other alone. We need a new irony thread for the fact that the most prolific poster in the old irony, now whinging, thread is Stevo whinging about whingers.

At least its on topic :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon folks,

At least its on topic :)
    This is true 😁
  • thistle_
    edited August 2020
    orraloon said:

pinno said:

Nah. Means the tedious yellow Jumbo Visma train strangling the life out of the race stage by stage and making it boring and predictable. Boo
    Il Lombardia sounds like it was exciting...

I can send you the video from today's time trial if you want to see what boring is really like :wink:
  • pinno
    How did you do Thistle?
  • thistle_
    edited August 2020
    Infinitely better than last week but don't know yet: due to covid you don't get your result there and then, once you finish you bigger off home and wait for them to appear on Facebook. Haven't done that route before either so nothing to compare to.

Shame about hitting the rocks around a bend on the way back giving a double pinch flat, broken spoke and a long walk back :angry: Found a new cafe on the way back though so every cloud and all that.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Life goals.
  • hopkinb
    Hired the car for arrival into Heraklion, Crete a week tomorrow. sungod class flights. 2 bed villa within a hotel, in-room check-in, our own pool.

I can almost be certain that one or both jurisdictions will impose a quarantine of some sort.

We will be ok even if trapped in Greece, taking laptops etc, but another couple of weeks missed for the kids at school is making me baulk, if not Mrs H³, who has abandoned all her paranoia.

First World problems.

In better news, I have some pork shoulder and decent dried kashmiri chillis. I will be buying waxy potatoes and using what I already have in the cupboard to make vindaloo tomorrow.
  • pinno
    That stuff i'm sure was called Space dust or Star dust or something like that.
  • thistle_
    hopkinb said:

Life goals.

Fizzy wiz sounds appropriate in this case.
  • thistle_
    hopkinb said:

We will be ok even if trapped in Greece, taking laptops etc, but another couple of weeks missed for the kids at school is making me baulk, if not Mrs H³, who has abandoned all her paranoia.

Can the kids not join in their classes by VC temporarily? Might be better than nothing.

Someone from work is off to a Greek island soon and is taking her laptop but is intending on coming back and quarantining (if needed) rather than staying out there.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    hopkinb said:

Hired the car for arrival into Heraklion, Crete a week tomorrow. sungod class flights. 2 bed villa within a hotel, in-room check-in, our own pool.

I can almost be certain that one or both jurisdictions will impose a quarantine of some sort.

First World problems.

In better news, I have some pork shoulder and decent dried kashmiri chillis. I will be buying waxy potatoes and using what I already have in the cupboard to make vindaloo tomorrow.

ba club? fyi the current onboard catering is dire... i was offered a sandwich choice of chicken slurry or beetroot and carrot sludge, i think the choice changes every couple of weeks, there's also a small pot of something salady (only edible thing) and one of chocolate glop

assuming you're at lhr, first lounge brekkie was pretty good, other ba lounge i think just has bacon rolls etc., i got a baguette from pret for onboard, i'd recommend doing similar (or get a picnic from gordon ramsey's or f&m)

on the plus side there's plenty of bubbly on-board and it was well chilled for a change, in plastic cups though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinb
    Ta for the pret recommendation! I think Mrs H³ upgraded to club to provide additional distancing. No gold here, so only access to standard lounge. Also, a 7.00 a.m. flight, plus me driving at the other end means no bubbly for me. Well, maybe just the one.
  • hopkinb

hopkinb said:

Can the kids not join in their classes by VC temporarily? Might be better than nothing.

Someone from work is off to a Greek island soon and is taking her laptop but is intending on coming back and quarantining (if needed) rather than staying out there.
    True, unlikely to actually be trapped in crete.

Their schools haven't been doing VC classes. So it'll just be 2 more weeks away from school, and it's the boy's GCSE year.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

Their schools haven't been doing VC classes. So it'll just be 2 more weeks away from school, and it's the boy's GCSE year.
    Hoppy, looking at the news you well be right about quarantine for Greece (unfortunately). We binned our early Sept jaunt to Portugal, mainly because junior and Strifey were still paranoid about flying, but thinking about it if Portugal stays on the quarantine list we'll be stuck at home when we're trying to get ready for her to go to uni and only end a day or two before she goes. Which will be a real pain.
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

Hoppy, looking at the news you well be right about quarantine for Greece (unfortunately).
    The Daily Heil had a nice simple map of Europe showing infection rates per country which explains why some countries were added to the unclean list (it didn't go as far as Greece though).
    Then the article seemed to be blaming Nicola Sturgeon for it all :lol: