The Ribble Fiasco

I am currently caught up in the Ribble Cycles fiasco which essentially means I am just shy of £5000 out of pocket with absolutely no idea when my bike will be built or arrive etc.

Ordered an Endurance SLR with a few upgrades on June 29th with an expected dispatch date of August 6th. So, in the grand scheme of things its not even that late but upon talking to customer service I've been given the "ooh just a week or two" chat a couple of times now. One of the lads fessed up a little and admitted build dates are undecided, "new system" yada yada...

The Ribble trust pilot reviews are appalling right now.

So I am in two minds, I really wanted this bike, do I stick it out and see what happens, maybe it will show up in the next week or two?

OR

There is a Giant TCR at a relatively local bike shop, similar spec and I have been riding a Giant Defy for the past 3 years and im happy with it.

I know, no one can actually answer this question for me but humour me with your opinions.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
All City Big Block SS 2020
Giant Defy Adv 1 2016

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You have seen the news this year, right?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Yeah, nothing against Ribble but for that sort of money I'd rather have the Giant.
  • Wow, what is the spec for this pegasus?
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • kfm2773
    kfm2773 Posts: 19
    Giant all day long, and you'll be supporting your LBS
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I think "Ribble" on the side of a bike looks silly.
  • Oi, I have a wibble. Black lettering on black carbon. But I wouldn't drop 5k on one. Plenty of exotic rides out there for less.
  • You have seen the news this year, right?

What? Has something happened?

Nah look, I get it...but Ribble have clearly been marketing very well and taking huge orders that they cant fulfil in a timely manner, if at all. You can blame Covid for the slow delivery of frames and parts but its imperative at that point that you update your customers, perhaps curtail your orders and generally be honest. Don't tell people 21 days and certainly don't boast about it.

Wow, what is the spec for this pegasus?

The SL R frame, integrated carbon bar n stem (all internal), Ultegra Di2, Ultegra Hydro brakes, their Level 5 56 DB Carbon wheels, stuck some Conti's on it. All very black and pretty, to me.

I reckon my mind is made up though, I went to see the TCR today and there are more pros over cons with it than the Ribble. Not to mention I could be on it by Saturday.

Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I remember when we were all on custom steel - the delivery dates were a very rough guideline. Worth waiting for though.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    5k for a Ribble? 😯
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    5k for a pedally-bike?!! 😯😮😟😖
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Yikes, I like Ribble stuff.....but 5 grand?! Really??
    Have you really considered what you can get for that sort of money?

30 seconds of searching has shown a range of S-Works Tarmac or Roubaux frames available at Certini on sale for less than £2500 (depending on your size). Pick up your favourite groupset and a cracking set of wheels and you'll still be under budget and have a seriously amazing bike.

Your choice of course, but for the money you are thinking of spending, you are into the upper echelons of good bikes if you buy smartly.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    While you have already ordered yours it's worth looking at what would happen if you ordered today:

In Stock X-Small: Order today to dispatch to you October 31, 2020
    In Stock Small: Order today to dispatch to you October 31, 2020
    In Stock Medium: Order today to dispatch to you October 31, 2020
    In Stock Large: Order today to dispatch to you October 31, 2020
    Pre-Order X-Large: Order today to dispatch to you October 29, 2020

That's the case with very many of their bikes. If they are not allocating build weeks properly then you could be in with a long wait.

Did they give you a build week? When I ordered my CGR SL in April it said build week X (and came the week later).
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • A man can but dream. Why not have it custom built?
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • Storck have some in their outlet. Full DI2 Durace within budget (ish).
  • I know 5 grand (4899) for a bicycle is a lot of money but I'm surprised people are blown away by that considering S Works, Cervelo etc reach the 10's. I dont really spend money on any thing else other than road cycling and mtb, thems me things.

Bsharp, I very much doubt that at any point before im too old to ride bicycles will I buy a frame and build it up myself, thats not my jam. A bit of maintenance here n there, I enjoy but messing about with all that isn't for me.

Bender, there was no build date, it was a preorder with a dispatch date of August 6th, with the workshop to keep in near constant contact (didnt hear a peep). I'm not naive, I expected a delay and then over the weeks I just kept seeing the reviews rolling in on Trustpilot and excitement turned to anxiety and all the cons of online direct selling started to eat at me. Ive had a couple of high end YT mtbs over the years and its been flawless (granted without Covid boom) so Im not against direct sellers either then or now.

Anywaaaaay, I went to see the TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc at 5pm yesterday, cancelled the Ribble order by 6pm, was refunded by 6:15pm and picked up the TCR at 2:30pm today and have spent the rest of the day setting it up, picking stickers off it and generally fawning over the beautiful blue paint job. Great shop too, naturally a free service but also a Retul fitting (once the government allows) so yeah, done the right thing.

First ride tomorrow. Cheers troops!
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • oxoman said:

You should get on well with it, cracking bike. Just make sure you've got bits for repairing tubeless if you've not had them before.

Only on mountain bikes, fairly well versed in the use of plugs...if that works on skinny road tyres? Always ride with a tube or two in the saddle bag, anyway.

Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • oxoman said:

If you know how to use plugs then your ok, but if taking a tube as back up remember you'll need a decent tyre lever to get them off the rim and also a tool to remove the valve.

Which tool? Valve core or....something else?
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    edited August 2020

oxoman said:

If you know how to use plugs then your ok, but if taking a tube as back up remember you'll need a decent tyre lever to get them off the rim and also a tool to remove the valve.

Which tool? Valve core or....something else?
    Probably pliers to undo the lock nut thing. They need to be done up reasonably tight to get them to seal against the rim (on the other side) and especially if they're left for ages the dust/dirt/rain/mud makes them really stiff and hard to undo with your fingers sometimes.
  • Cheers folks!
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Let's have some pictures then...
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I bought a bike from Ribble 5 years ago now without an issue & used them since with no issues. They are proper getting slaughtered on TrustPilot at the minute but to be fair they aren't the only ones.

Having said that if I had 5k to spend I would go TCR over Ribble all day long.
  • mrb123 said:

Let's have some pictures then...

Waiting on some nicer bottles cages, they're currently mismatched....yes, I am that kinda guy and im cool with it :# Grabbed a couple KOM's that had been evading me for a while on its maiden voyage. All good aside from the saddle which is frankly sadistic.
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • I realise we are all different but what saddles do you go for?

I have the Selle Italia Nekkar from my Defy, getting on a bit, bit of a lump, ugly but it is comfy so will probably stick that on for the time being.

However, not overly happy about putting a scruffy, heavy ol saddle on my shiny new bike.
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • ibr17xvii
    oxoman said:

Giant saddles are a bit marmite for comfort. First thing I changed on my 3 giants.

Glad it's not just me.

My 1st TCR & had a couple of rides on the Giant saddle but it was frankly awful so went back to my trusty Selle Italia Flite.

Dying to have a go on their new Flite Boost with the wider cut out but too expensive at the minute & when I saw one in the flesh it's got more plastic than previous versions which makes it look cheap IMHO which it certainly isn't.
  • ibr17xvii

I realise we are all different but what saddles do you go for?

I have the Selle Italia Nekkar from my Defy, getting on a bit, bit of a lump, ugly but it is comfy so will probably stick that on for the time being.

However, not overly happy about putting a scruffy, heavy ol saddle on my shiny new bike.

If you've got on with Selle Italia in the past have a look at their range. They will deffo have something to bling up your shiny new bike.
  • MTB_Roadtripper
    MTB_Roadtripper Posts: 61
    edited August 2020

Still using all the spacers, waiting for proper fitting but feels good.

Little bits include JRC out front mount and VEL Carbon bottle cages. Got a Fizik Antares saddle in the post, will see how that does....does the Giant Variant carbon seat post accommodate carbon railed saddle...im assuming so.
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • Stunning color. I particularly like the black wheels/blackwall tyres look.
  • 5k for a bike isn't that great these days. 5k for an Officer Dibble? Gerrin' bin! Giant make some of- if not the best quality carbon frames on the market ( I don't own one). Easy decision.