Wednesday, the owl dropped into the mouse party

Morning, dry and warm no rain as yet, cycling soon before it gets to hot, busy afternoon I’m afraid to say
Have a good day

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    'ning

longer ride, more cafes, much basking
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • parryman
    parryman Posts: 153
    WFH for the most part (super busy weeks too)
    Expecting a delivery of booze today
    (3 bottles of rum, 1 Irish whiskey and 1 bourbon)
    Will do a sampling tonight.
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
    .•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨).•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.•´¸.•*´¨The Amazing Parryman
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, quick pootle down to the shop for a loaf of bread, how on earth is it 24c already?

Thankfully meant to cool down for the weekend. lots of typing to do, chucking some freshly ground beans into the machine today, Cappuccino with Oat milk and toast, ahhh peace till the kids start screaming up the road.

Honestly can their parents not torque them quietly or least move from what is obvious a physical torture going from the screaming to a mental form or use drugs, just for the peace of the neighbours.
  • Morning all. Just prepping the bagels for breakfast but thought sg might be interested in this.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    LD has the march on SG due to the difference in BST.

Good effort on the thread title.

I get quite annoyed at my girls if they scream.
    Pedaling soon but might dance with the grey stuff. Can't work out why the wind has shifted to N by NW. I had plans to go on the badlands loop but that would mean a headwind home now.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Pretty warm sat in my office, shame I was to tired to get up at 6am for a ride as it would have been glorious. Serves me right for watching tv after dinner.

Booked on a swim session tonight, might eat out to help out later as well.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Hounds walked, decent play in the play boat, nice run and now breakfast. Holiday is going well
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    pinno said:

LD has the march on SG due to the difference in BST.

land of the tabby is bst, i'm just being lazy

mad headwind on top of the volcano road, not many cyclists around, club la santa looked shut when i went past

basking time
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Mornin' All.

So hot last night I had to sit by the window at 4am to get a bit of fresh air. Now sitting here sweating in my spare room and trting to work. Have just removed my top and slung a towel over the back of the chair. Just hope nobody makes an unannounced video call...

Also I spoke to Hoppy this morning who is alive and well but is sporting a decent beard to disguise himself.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Also I spoke to Hoppy this morning who is alive and well but is sporting a decent beard to disguise himself.

Well I should hope so. After all he did pop in here just yesterday and if he wasn't, that would have been one speedy downhill.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    Some work till I got bored with it. Minor fettling of new bike, but showery weather cancelled the test ride.

Building another wheel set, and surprised to find that DT Swiss spoke in a DT Swiss hub is a lousy match and very awkward to work.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well I should hope so. After all he did pop in here just yesterday and if he wasn't, that would have been one speedy downhill.

Maybe he thought sungod had hired a hitman from his poolside sunbed in the land of the tabby to bump me off following my possibly libellous statement that he's a shortarse! Obviously I offer a full and unreserved retraction and apology, and not just because of the prospect of pastries at Colbert. :)

Been revisiting the bike after having been extremely lazy throughout July and early August, easing back into it with a daily 30km. Mainly so I don't have to buy new clothes.

I was lucky enough to speak to Stevo earlier from the refrigerated hut, while she was walking the dog. Now back sweating in the house, albeit with a fan keeping the worst of the heat off.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    edited August 2020
    Afternoon folks,
    I was in the office enjoying the AC this morning, now back at home sweltering with everyone else. Altohugh a choc ice delivered by the female child did help.
    We seem to have acquired another bicycle, or a BSA. A BSA being like a BSO but I think it's been used as an anchor. I suspect the lad was drinking by the river and has brought a new friend home.
    Today being Wednesday means a pub garden will be enjoyed later. I should talk to H³ too, we were discussing garage beers and fettling. I point and he hits it.
    Have to be around the house tomorrow in case of results day meltdown, not heat related. All should be good as announcement about using mock results mean she has more than enough. Good luck tomorrow Stevo
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Lunchtime (tuna nicoise baguette without the egg - didn't want egg-boiling additional heat). Sat listening to the storm making it's way over.

Shocking news coming from Scotland. Sounds like it could be an industry changing one... :-(
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Redecoration continues, too hot now, short shower. Parasol up and bike repair stand up and ready for the beast.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Started 0730, jacked it in at 2, starting to get a bit heat bumbled so sensible call. The other guy working there, landscaper doing paving de-pointing, lots of dust is lovely in these temps, binned it off an hour earlier. Weakling. So far today 4-5 litres of water and nowt expelled bar sweat...

Meant I caught the final 10km of the Dauphine. Just about cooled down enough for a shower. To be followed by cold drinks inc beers.

😳 Not good in NE Scotland.
  • Stevo_666

Have to be around the house tomorrow in case of results day meltdown, not heat related. All should be good as announcement about using mock results mean she has more than enough. Good luck tomorrow Stevo

Thanks V, had a quick look at the news reports as she slipped a grade in her mocks, but if I read it right it's the best of mocks or predicted grades and she got good enough predicted grades from the school. (Failing that, we pick up the phone and hope enough have deferred into '21/foreign students decided not to come here on account of C-19 that they will let her in anyway).

Good luck.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Spent a good couple of hours in Teams meetings wondering WTF everyone was talking about until I realised I was sent the wrong meeting link.
  • pinno
    There's something about London and it's ability to trap heat. Underground is lovely innit?

Not as bad as Madrid. I remember walking out of the 'cool' of the train station and feeling like I was hit by a bus. Dry heat I find worse than humid heat.

Malindi some time ago, just after the rains, 42deg and humidity off the scale.
    Fans were all switched off as they just moved warm air.

10 am to 4pm was spent indoors doing very very little. Then add the doldrums - low pressure in the tropics. Splitting headaches which was only cured by mineral rich fresh Coconut milk.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited August 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Thanks V, had a quick look at the news reports as she slipped a grade in her mocks, but if I read it right it's the best of mocks or predicted grades and she got good enough predicted grades from the school. (Failing that, we pick up the phone and hope enough have deferred into '21/foreign students decided not to come here on account of C-19 that they will let her in anyway).

Good luck.

It's a monumental F up stevo, V.
    I'm doing interviews at clearing tomorrow and acceptance/rejection has already been based upon the grades provided as the official result through UCAS (though applicants don't get to see this yet). The first we knew of any of this was on the news. We have no idea what is going on and zero confidence in how it will pan out. I believe :* that the grade already calculated will be used in UCAS for acceptance and clearing but students can appeal if the want to use mock or predicted. Of course, by the time that goes through all the "desirable" places will be gone. This is only a best guess mind.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Good luck.

I'm doing interviews at clearing tomorrow and acceptance/rejection has already been based upon the grades provided as the official result through UCAS (though applicants don't get to see this yet). The first we knew of any of this was on the news. We have no idea what is going on and zero confidence in how it will pan out. I believe :* that the grade already calculated will be used in UCAS for acceptance and clearing but students can appeal if the want to use mock or predicted. Of course, by the time that goes through all the "desirable" places will be gone. This is only a best guess mind.
    Thanks DHL, if the 'grades provided' is what she was predicted to get by the school at the time of doing her uni applications then hopefully she'll be OK, as she got slightly better than needed.

Unfortunately if something goes pear shaped the mock results won't help.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Really f'ing glad female child's predicteds are a level or 2 above what she needs to be accepted.
    DHL, have we ever worked out or asked which Uni you are at? Hope for your sake you don't have to deal with any of my offspring.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good luck.

Thanks DHL, if the 'grades provided' is what she was predicted to get by the school at the time of doing her uni applications then hopefully she'll be OK, as she got slightly better than needed.

Unfortunately if something goes pear shaped the mock results won't help.
    It should make little difference if they are slightly down, as the same thing will be affecting many others, and all institutions, however prestigious, adjust the grade boundary down to fill their courses before opening up to clearing. If they have been hit by international recruitment and withdrawn applications due to CV-19 then they should still get in. No institution will want empty spaces and the Russell-Group will be hoovering up until full.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Booked two tables outside at the local beerery so I'm looking forward to that!

Kids are never happy, our lad has been out of college since march and as we've been shut the works has been relatively quiet, we've hit a busy period and some simple stuff needs cutting, drilling, fettling etc so from earning nowt to over £200 in a week he's still moaning as it's "boring".

FFS, kids these days...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Booked two tables outside at the local beerery so I'm looking forward to that!

Kids are never happy, our lad has been out of college since march and as we've been shut the works has been relatively quiet, we've hit a busy period and some simple stuff needs cutting, drilling, fettling etc so from earning nowt to over £200 in a week he's still moaning as it's "boring".

FFS, kids these days...

Using a beachcaster and hang is money on that one note at a time. Jiggle it around in front of him to catch. That'll stop it being boring for him.
  • Booked two tables outside at the local beerery so I'm looking forward to that!

FFS, kids these days...

Using a beachcaster and hang is money on that one note at a time. Jiggle it around in front of him to catch. That'll stop it being boring for him.
    You are not alone hd, offered cash in hand to two local gardening students to replant my large fig tree. On a weekend, lunch thrown in. 10 weeks ago. Not a fvk1ng dicky.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Yes! We have the thunder, the lightning and we have the rain! At last. Get the humidity down and lower the overnight temps so maybe can get some decent sleep tonight.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Booked two tables outside at the local beerery so I'm looking forward to that!

FFS, kids these days...

You are not alone hd, offered cash in hand to two local gardening students to replant my large fig tree. On a weekend, lunch thrown in. 10 weeks ago. Not a fvk1ng dicky.

I'm sure you meant to type that you offered payment in the most tax efficient manner.

FFS, kids these days...

I'm sure you meant to type that you offered payment in the most tax efficient manner.
    Indeed l did. With the expectation that it would be reported to HMRC by the recipients.

Not a Giro Hero!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning
    Another compulsory day off so spent it oversleeping then going for another walk along Offa's Dike.
    Was tropical just like being on holiday and eventually reached my lift back as the storms started.

Just had a monumental storm here for an hour with hail the size of marbles and so much rain that the back yard is under 2 inches of water, as is the neighbours front yard - it's never flooded before in the 10 years I've been here :astonished: