Closing account and deleting post

i have got a bit fed up with bike radar. Too many argumentive people on here. I can't work out how to close my account. Can i delete every post I have ever made. Before the board changeover i had another account. I want to remove all those posts too. Thats how some people on here make me feel. Time to move on.
www.thecycleclinic.co.uk

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Simply learn what topics and members to ignore.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    oxoman said:

Don't go, between you and Ugo your able to assist with most wheel issues. Forget the tubeless arguments because they are currently the marmite of today for roadies as ebikes are to MTBers.

It's inevitable... after a while one gets fed up of getting insults in return for free advice, which would otherwise come at £ 50 an hour. Malcolm probably has better things to do than wasting his time here...
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    It's a shame there's not an ignore option for when some posters get a bit much.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We all give free advice. If we all start charging or leave the forum, then the Workshop pages would be pretty dire.

Absolutely no need for insulting people though... although that's happily overlooked, there's been some shocking xenophobia in Cake Stop.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695

It's a shame there's not an ignore option for when some posters get a bit much.

That would be a great addition. The forum would appear much more pleasant if one could avoid seeing posts from certain members.
  • ugo.santalucia
    There used to be an option to ignore comments, but ultimately if blatant insults go unchallenged, then it's clear that people will go. I haven't seen a comment from Monty Dog in years... he probably left for the same reason.

A few months ago I got heavily insulted on YACF for simply saying that maybe the fast times in dual carriageways TT were down to draft from heavy traffic... moderators didn't seem to care, so I left.

I might leave here too, to be honest... when you get called "a low quality import" and the comment goes unchallenged, then you feel like maybe it's time to pack your bags... don't want to be part of a Cycling KKK Forum, do you?
  • kingstongraham
    I'm not sure what you have to do to get suspended from here, but there's been at least a few comments in the last few months that should be way over that line.
  • ugo.santalucia

I'm not sure what you have to do to get suspended from here, but there's been at least a few comments in the last few months that should be way over that line.

I personally wrote to the admin team, but didn't get a reply
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    It should be possible to disagree with something without people reacting like a snowflake, though. And the "ignore" function on an internet forum is, literally, to ignore something.

Prejudice is another matter and I saw a comment about "imports" recently Ugo, and not only you but everyone ignored it because it wasn't worthy of a response. I'd like to think if it was stepped up any further, some forum-self policing would have happened (it has in the past).
  • First.Aspect

A few months ago I got heavily insulted on YACF for simply saying that maybe the fast times in dual carriageways TT were down to draft from heavy traffic... moderators didn't seem to care, so I left.

Physics, eh? People really don't seem to like it. At least you didn't try to say that rough road surfaces slow people down. They'd have really kicked off.

• kingstongraham
    If when you went to a pub, and there was some people in the corner who shouted insults at you, you might go elsewhere. Even if some regulars shrug and say "they're always like that, just ignore them".
  • ugo.santalucia

If when you went to a pub, and there was some people in the corner who shouted insults at you, you might go elsewhere. Even if some regulars shrug and say "they're always like that, just ignore them".

That's exactly it... if nobody says anything, in essence it makes it OK. I was surprised nobody commented on the racist comment in question and in essence it makes me wonder whether I should go and waste my time elsewhere.
  • Ben6899

I personally wrote to the admin team, but didn't get a reply
    I had a warning for calling someone a C U Next Tuesday. Which ironically was provoked by that poster being absolutely awful (hate speech kind of awful) to others.

Moderation here is weird.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • First.Aspect

I think a better analogy would be having a chat at the café stop and dealing with someone who drops in a racist remark. Although, I don't think I/we can comment on what it is like to be the recipient. I just don't want a contributor like Ugo to leave as a consequence.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think this applies in any way to challenging technobabble (sorry Malcolm, that's just my opinion) or even the type of playground banter that flares up, however childish.

If you start moderating that sort of thing, the forum will be about as interesting as the CTC forum and everyone on it will be called Derek (that comment would be moderated out, btw).
  • No, please don’t leave we need experienced sensible talented and kind people to share their wisdom. We need you!

The barrel perhaps needs purging of a few rotten apples – don’t the moderators have a three strikes and you’re out policy or something similar
  • Ben6899

– don’t the moderators have a three strikes and you’re out policy or something similar

If they did, I can think of one poster who'd be out indefinitely.
    Ben

• First.Aspect

That's exactly it... if nobody says anything, in essence it makes it OK. I was surprised nobody commented on the racist comment in question and in essence it makes me wonder whether I should go and waste my time elsewhere.
    FWIW I'm not averse to a bit of conflict ( :o ) and I only didn't comment because it had been flagged already.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2020
    Thecycleclinic my post was only to point out that although I don't doubt your exceptional knowledge it is too much in depth the the average user to comprehend in my opinion,

My response was only in fact meant so you would hopefully respond and get your point across in a more simplified manner that I could understand which you did.

We all have our opinions and I use my experiences as my way of giving information to others, right or wrong, who are in a similar situation, to promote debate and give another view point.

This is not a personal attack aimed at you or anyone in particular. If you think that I am sorry you feel this way and I was also being very immature in my responses I am sorry for that too.

You're conclusions of the notching issues are valid, I believe are mine too. I won't respond or quote any comments you make on threads in the future, if you ever post again.

I obviously can't apologise on behalf of anyone else that my have offended you but I hope you will see my comments in the context and meaning the way they were intended.
  • Ben6899
    edited August 2020

A lot of us flagged it, Ugo. And there is absolutely no point commenting because the person who posted the comment simply cannot see the error or can see the error and refuses to accept it.

We would rather posters like you and Malcolm hang around than we be left with xenophobic idiots in Cake Stop (I'll probably get reported and a warning for that).
    Ben

• First.Aspect

Thecycleclinic my post was only to point out that although I don't doubt your exceptional knowledge it is too much in depth the the average user to comprehend in my opinion,

My response was only in fact meant so you would hopefully respond and get your point across in a more simplified manner that I could understand which you did.

We all have our opinions and I use my experiences as my way of giving information to others, right or wrong, who are in a similar situation, to promote debate and give another view point.

This is not a personal attack aimed at you or anyone in particular. If you think that I am sorry you feel this way and I was also being very immature in my responses I am sorry for that too.

You're conclusions of the notching issues are valid, I believe are mine too. I won't respond or quote any comments you make on threads in the future.

I obviously can't apologise on behalf of anyone else that my have offended you but I hope you will see my comments in the context and meaning the way they were intended.

There was nothing wrong with any of your posts. If you can't see the humour or take some teasing, you need to leave the internet, pub, group ride or pretty much any other interaction between people.

Or move to Canada.

That'll get moderated out.
  • Ben6899 said:

A lot of us flagged it, Ugo. And there is absolutely no point commenting because the person who posted the comment simply cannot see the error or can see the error and refuses to accept it.

We would rather posters like you and Malcolm hang around than we be left with xenophobic idiots in Cake Stop (I'll probably get reported and a warning for that).
    As a relative newbie some of the cake stop posts did rather surprise me. Other forums tend to moderate more effectively in my view.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • First.Aspect

Ben6899 said:

As a relative newbie some of the cake stop posts did rather surprise me. Other forums tend to moderate more effectively in my view.
    It used to be more heavily moderated, heavy handedly and unevenly.

Moderation seemed to give moderators a Napoleon complex.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

Ben6899 said:

It used to be more heavily moderated, heavy handedly and unevenly.

Moderation seemed to give moderators a Napoleon complex.
    You're not wrong there, but some things that are going on now are getting ridiculous so a little more moderation wouldn't go amiss. People do tell the xenophobic one but he does it on purpose to get a reaction. Like the class idiot in primary school and he will carry on because he gets away with it and revels in people kicking back against it. There are also too many people that will never admit they are wrong and clutch at straws in wild attempts to justify their position.
    I understand why Cycle Clinic feels the way he does, I suspect it may be more of a long term drip, drip and he's had his fill. I really hope he doesn't go as I value his opinion, as I do Ugo and many otherson here.
  • Aw diddums, some people on this thread have been happy to dish it out in the last 4.5 years but don't like the same back. That's your problem, not mine.

I am happy to call a truce to those who have been dishing it out (and you know who you are) who post an apology/retraction on the Brexit thread for all to see.

Your call, but if you don't want criticism, don't dish it out (or throw unfounded accusations like 'racist' around when that is clearly a lie)
  • I left for a bit due a complete idiot on the forum.
    But then I thought, why blame myself?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Never blame yourself.
    Plenty of others will be wiling to do that for you.
  • kingstongraham

Aw diddums, some people on this thread have been happy to dish it out in the last 4.5 years but don't like the same back. That's your problem, not mine.

I am happy to call a truce to those who have been dishing it out (and you know who you are) who post an apology/retraction on the Brexit thread for all to see.

Your call, but if you don't want criticism, don't dish it out (or throw unfounded accusations like 'racist' around when that is clearly a lie)

What I take it you mean is "I also don't like when I get abuse". Which is fair, because you do get some, and it shouldn't happen.
  • I logged to check if there was answer to my question. There isnt but there is argument again. Well one person has tried to start one. In fact when have i called anyone racist. Never on here as i know none of you. I may have used the word in context with views like that can look... as a way of discussing them. However i would have been quite careful in how i phrased that. I don't believe i dish out abuse. Also i thought whats in the brexit thread stays in the brexit thread. Everyone has to shout at one another. I don't talk to people like that in real life even if i can be a bit abrupt sometimes. I certainly don't want it here.

Still cant work out how to close my account. Should be simple really.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    It was just the usual suspect trying to start the argument, Malcolm.

Apart from you telling someone they're tubeless method was shonky ( ;-) ) I don't recall you ever sending abuse in anyone's direction. Being frank or blunt - as is you prerogative - is absolutely fine in my books.
    Ben

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

Still cant work out how to close my account. Should be simple really.

Should be a means under GDPR to close your account/remove personal data, although I don't know if it will also delete every post you've made.