2009 Giant Anthem X2

Hi Guys,

Ive had this bike from new but its in need for some TLC now. After 2 visits to Halfords for them to repair they don't seem to get it anywhere right! So I'm thinking of buying parts and getting them replaced by someone local instead. The problems I have are:

1. Front Wheel buckled, what would be a good replacement? Currently they are Mavic XC 317. Ive seen Rodi M460 Front Wheel Front 26x1.9 32h Disc with Alivio Disc 6 bolt black (2020), would this be ok?
2. Noise coming from bottom bracket, which one is a good replacement? The crankset could do with replacing too, would this be a 170mm or 175mm? And what would be a good replacement? Ive seen Shimano FC-MT300 Crank Set 44/32/22 teeth 3x9 speed (2020) & Race Face X-Type Team XC Bottom Bracket BSA 68/73 mm (2020), would this fit?

I had the suspension serviced 1 year ago but unfortunately not been on the bike since but its all okay.

Ive just recently got back on the MTB. My knowledge around bike is minimal. Any help would be great! Also any good bike mechanics around West Yorkshire would be great.

Kind regards,
Dr Ayub

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Former owner of a 2009 Trance X5 here.

Hi Guys,
    1. Front Wheel buckled, what would be a good replacement? Currently they are Mavic XC 317. Ive seen Rodi M460 Front Wheel Front 26x1.9 32h Disc with Alivio Disc 6 bolt black (2020), would this be ok?

That wheel has a quick release axle. It would be fine with my X5 but I think the X2 uses a 15mm through axle which is different.
    The size (26", 1.9" width and the 6 bolt hub) are all fine.

2. Noise coming from bottom bracket, which one is a good replacement? The crankset could do with replacing too, would this be a 170mm or 175mm? And what would be a good replacement? Ive seen Shimano FC-MT300 Crank Set 44/32/22 teeth 3x9 speed (2020) & Race Face X-Type Team XC Bottom Bracket BSA 68/73 mm (2020), would this fit?

That bottom bracket and crank will work together however you probably only need to replace the chainrings on the crank, not the whole crank. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new crank rather than the individual chainrings...
    I suggest only replacing the bottom bracket for now and see if that makes things better.
    If you get back into riding, you can buy a new crank later. Most new MTBs only use 1 chainring up front with a bigger cassette which is something you could consider, but you might struggle to find a cassette that will fit on your rear wheel that will give you enough gear range.

Unfortunately as I've found out, parts for 26" mountain bikes are becoming harder to get hold of and more expensive. In the end, it was cheaper for me to get a nearly new second hand MTB than to repair my Trance X5 (and I do all the work myself so I was only looking at the cost of the parts!)

• oxoman said:

Your best bet is find a decent local bike shop and they should be able to sort your bike out properly. I wouldn't use any halfords bike mechanics as not many of them are any good. If you give a better idea of your locality I'm sure someone can recommend a decent place. West Yorkshire is a big place. 26" wheeled bikes will be around for a while yet.

I am based in Calverly Leeds. I agree, 2 occasions with them and my bike is the same. They replaced the cassette and chain and that’s when the noises etc started.

Former owner of a 2009 Trance X5 here.

Hi Guys,

That wheel has a quick release axle. It would be fine with my X5 but I think the X2 uses a 15mm through axle which is different.
    The size (26", 1.9" width and the 6 bolt hub) are all fine.

That bottom bracket and crank will work together however you probably only need to replace the chainrings on the crank, not the whole crank. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new crank rather than the individual chainrings...
    I suggest only replacing the bottom bracket for now and see if that makes things better.
    If you get back into riding, you can buy a new crank later. Most new MTBs only use 1 chainring up front with a bigger cassette which is something you could consider, but you might struggle to find a cassette that will fit on your rear wheel that will give you enough gear range.

Unfortunately as I've found out, parts for 26" mountain bikes are becoming harder to get hold of and more expensive. In the end, it was cheaper for me to get a nearly new second hand MTB than to repair my Trance X5 (and I do all the work myself so I was only looking at the cost of the parts!)

Thank you guys. I purchased the bike when I graduated and cannot seem to part from it! I’ve ordered the Wheel and bottom bracket. Currently I have the quick release on front and back. Thank you for the help!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited August 2020
    A decent LBS may be able to straighten your wheel if it's not too badly buckled.
    WRT the bb and chainset, it may be more economical and easier to fit new parts. I'd recommend Shimano HollowTech 2 (HT II). Decent 3 ring chain sets are getting harder to buy so you might want to consider changing to a 2-speed, which would mean also getting a new front shifter and possibly mech.

What chainset is currently fitted to the bike?

As oxoman says, taking the bike to a good LBS and asking their advice is the best thing to do if you are not confident about identifying and replacing parts yourself.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Type "bicycle repair near me" into Google and that will give you a list as a starting point.

Be aware that most good bike shops that do repairs are very busy, my LBS has a 60 bikes waiting to be fixed, pretty much all the time now!!
  • JBA said:

A decent LBS may be able to straighten your wheel if it's not too badly buckled.
    WRT the bb and chainset, it may be more economical and easier to fit new parts. I'd recommend Shimano HollowTech 2 (HT II). Decent 3 ring chain sets are getting harder to buy so you might want to consider changing to a 2-speed, which would mean also getting a new front shifter and possibly mech.

What chainset is currently fitted to the bike?

As oxoman says, taking the bike to a good LBS and asking their advice is the best thing to do if you are not confident about identifying and replacing parts yourself.

Thanks. Ive purchased the above items. I kind of want to keep it as original as possible. There is a mobile mechanic that I might give a call to who covers Leeds. The current chainset is the original one for the bike. Ive ended up buying 2 new Wheels instead of one. The current wheels are the original ones from when I bought it in 2010. Thanks Guys