Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Peanut butter.

I have a jar which I use for making milkshakes for after a ride (spoon of peanut butter, chocolate drink powder, milk and blitz.) very nice.

But the odd times when I've actually tried to eat it, such as the bit stuck to the spoon, Ye Gods, it's awful! How does anyone eat this stuff? They must have a lot of time on the hands, it takes me an age to get rid of it.

The older I get, the better I was.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

I have a jar which I use for making milkshakes for after a ride (spoon of peanut butter, chocolate drink powder, milk and blitz.) very nice.

But the odd times when I've actually tried to eat it, such as the bit stuck to the spoon, Ye Gods, it's awful! How does anyone eat this stuff? They must have a lot of time on the hands, it takes me an age to get rid of it.

Mix it with Nutella. Transformative.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

This needs to be in the unpopular opinions thread you weirdo! :)

However, it may depend on brand. The mrs purchased some American brand a couple of years back to try and it was peanut scented sugar. It was horrible.
    I know lots of foods have lots of sugar in but, if I can’t specifically taste the sugar, they are OK. So much US stuff is just pure sugar.
  • capt_slog
    morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

However, it may depend on brand. The mrs purchased some American brand a couple of years back to try and it was peanut scented sugar. It was horrible.
    I know lots of foods have lots of sugar in but, if I can’t specifically taste the sugar, they are OK. So much US stuff is just pure sugar.

:smile:

Perhaps. But the bit that intrigues me really is, how does anyone eat it?

I find it's like a mouthful of glue.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

Seriously!?

Mix it with Nutella. Transformative.

I shall try this.
    What I have done for a sneaky snack is put Nutella on some Digestives and then sprinkle nuts on top.
    That's one for the Silly commuter weight loss thread.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • capt_slog
    pinno said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

Seriously!?

Seriously, in that I drink it?
    or seriously that it's nice? :)

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    capt_slog said:

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

Usually in a sandwich with olives, tomato’s and onions and to finish in another sandwich with honey.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

Definitely. It's the best thing you can put on toast. The only problem is that the really good high peanut content stuff can be really hard to spread. I could quite happily eat it straight from the jar.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,128
    edited August 2020
    capt_slog said:

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

I love it, love it on toast, love a spoonful of it straight out of the jar. Mmmm a mouthful of peanut butter flavoured glue.

Always unsweetened though, that american sh*t is inedible.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Pross said:

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

Definitely. It's the best thing you can put on toast. The only problem is that the really good high peanut content stuff can be really hard to spread. I could quite happily eat it straight from the jar.
    Eh? Peanut butter (at least anything deserving that name) should be... 100% peanuts. What else goes in it??
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • kingstongraham

Pross said:

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

Eh? Peanut butter (at least anything deserving that name) should be... 100% peanuts. What else goes in it??
    Skippy peanut butter:

Ingredients
    Roasted Peanuts (90%),
    Sugar,
    Hydrogenated Palm Oil,
    Salt

Sunpat:

Ingredients
    Peanuts 95%,
    Stabiliser: E471,
    Cane Sugar,
    Peanut Oil 1%,
    Sea Salt

Horrible
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Meridian Peanut Butter
    Ingredients
    Roasted Peanuts whole skin on.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

Pross said:

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

No my area of expertise, but I would have thought some butter based on the name.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

No my area of expertise, but I would have thought some butter based on the name.
    Clearly not, or you wouldn't need to butter the bread first.

I have always assumed it includes some form of epoxy resin, on account of the remarkable adhesive properties.
  • kingstongraham
    webboo said:

Meridian Peanut Butter
    Ingredients

In my opinion, the Whole Earth with a little bit of salt (and oil) is tastier. But never sugar. Never, never, never.
  • First.Aspect

webboo said:

Meridian Peanut Butter
    Ingredients

In my opinion, the Whole Earth with a little bit of salt (and oil) is tastier. But never sugar. Never, never, never.
    Americans put sugar in everything. That is why that are all so... tall.
  • pinno
    Lovely - palm oil. Brilliant.
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

Lovely - palm oil. Brilliant.

Yes, just seen that. Balls. It's so tasty and now it's ruined for me. Why palm oil not peanut oil??

Onto the no added oil stuff for me.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

Pross said:

morstar said:

capt_slog said:

Peanut butter.

Clearly not, or you wouldn't need to butter the bread first.

I have always assumed it includes some form of epoxy resin, on account of the remarkable adhesive properties.
    That's something I learnt today. I always assumed it was a mix of peanuts and butter, but Google tells me I'm completely wrong.

Next, I'm going to find out that egg mayonnaise doesn't contain mayonnaise
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    if you like nutella you can't get snobby about palm oil...
  • kingstongraham

I'm reassured slightly... https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/8-things-know-about-palm-oil "Globally, palm oil supplies 35% of the world’s vegetable oil demand on just 10% of the land. To get the same amount of alternative oils like soybean or coconut oil you would need anything between 4 and 10 times more land"

I'll stick with sustainable palm oil then. Luckily I think Nutella is gross.
  • First.Aspect

Tell me it isn't so.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225

Tell me it isn't so.
    https://www.nutella.com/us/en/range
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2020
    And in the UK:

That's a terrible list of ingredients, no wonder it is vile
  • pinno
    I don't know why you don't make your own peanut butter.

It's quite simple. Take unsalted peanuts and put them in a blender. Slowly add Pure Sunflower Oil until you reach the desired texture. Add salt if required.

Palm trees for Palm oil could be grown on land other than virgin rainforest. There's hardly any habitat left for the Orangutan.
    It may be more sustainable than the alternatives but at what cost?

Tell me it isn't so.
    Yep and the digestive biscuit I put it on contains palm oil.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/food-cupboard-essentials/mcvities-digestive-biscuits-500g

I try to cook all our food from scratch and in doing so, I can reduce the amount of Palm oil we consume.
  • First.Aspect
    You lot spoil all the fun.

At least Skittles are okay to eat still. They are made of rainbows.
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

Because someone else will make it and sell it to me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151

pinno said:

Because someone else will make it and sell it to me.
    Thats how capitalism works :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno

You lot spoil all the fun.

At least Skittles are okay to eat still. They are made of rainbows.

I used to eat Peanut M&M's. Then I discovered they contain Palm Oil. Then I discovered Lidl's own chocolate covered peanut fake M&M's which don't contain palm oil and... they taste as good!

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/palm-oil/palm-oil-free-list