Tour de l’Ain and Critérium du Dauphiné 2020 *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited August 2020 in Pro race
The Tour de l’Ain sets off this Friday to finish next Sunday. This year it takes on far greater significance as teams look to sharpen the form in preparation for the fast approaching Tour de France. As a result, a clutch of WT teams are in attendance with several bringing what looks to be three quarters of their Tour squad.

Top Riders.
AG2R La Mondiale
Alexis Vuillermoz, Benoît Cosnefroy
Cofidis, Solutions Crédits
Jesús Herrada, Guillaume Martin
Israel Start-Up Nation
Daniel Martin, André Greipel, Nils Politt
Jumbo – Visma
Primoz Roglic, Tom Dumoulin, Steven Kruijswijk, George Bennett, Robert Gesink, Tony Martin
Team Ineos
Egan Bernal, Geraint Thomas, Chris Froome, Andrey Amador, Jonathan Castroviejo, Tao Geoghegan Hart
Trek – Segafredo
Bauke Mollema, Richie Porte
UAE-Team Emirates
Fabio Aru
Arkéa Samsic
Nairo Quintana, Winner Anacona

The race opens with a hilly stage before continuing with two tough days in the mountains. Three days of racing add up to 8,510 metres of climbing. The final stage offers the Grand Colombier as finish climb, thus serving the first taste of the upcoming Tour de France with the last 17.4 kilometres rising at 7.1%.

Stage 1: Montréal-la-Cluse - Ceyzériat
Friday 7 August - The opener of the Tour de l'Ain serves 1,789 metres of climbing, while the race totals 140 kilometres.

Stage 2: Lagnieu - Lélex Monts-Jura
Saturday 8 August - The 2nd stage of the Tour de l'Ain is a 141 kilometres race with an elevation gain of 3,159 metres.

Stage 3: Saint Vulbas - Grand Colombier
Sunday 9 August - The last stage of the Tour de l'Ain offers a first taste of the upcoming Tour de France. The 145 kilometres race with an elevation gain of 3,562 metres returns again in next September's showdown, also with the final haul up on the extremely demanding Grand Colombier.

The Montée de la Selle de Fromentel is a test of 11 kilometres with an average gradient of 8.5%. The last 3 kilometres are especially demanding, as they go up at 11.5%, 14.5% and 12.5% respectively.

Next up is the Col de la Biche. This 6.4 kilometres climb at 8.9% features two kilometres at over 10% in the middle section.

Eventually the route goes all way to the top of the Grand Colombier. The riders enter the climb in Culoz and on this side it adds up to 17.4 kilometres, while the average gradient sits at 7.1%. The Grand Colombier is hard and irregular with a number of double digit sections, including the last 400 metres before the finish line.

Favourites 2020 Tour de l’Ain
*** Primoz Roglic, Egan Bernal,
** Geraint Thomas, Tom Dumoulin, Nairo Quintana, Richie Porte
* Daniel Martin, Steven Kruijswijk, Chris Froome, Bauke Mollema, Fabio Aru

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Thanks. I'm all excited now. This could be a fascinating race.

Besides the hoped for drama at the front, I'm interested to see how young Thymen Arensman does. 2nd in the 2018 Tour de l'Avenir behind Pogacar when only 18 years old, I believe that his participation means that the entire top 10 from that year will have ridden for a WT team.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    edited August 2020
    Ain definitely on for Ineos-watch Thomas first race back? Froome to maybe show more than domestique talent? Bernal to repay the favour from Ocitaine?

Jumbo-Visma bringing the big guns as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • That final stage looks very interesting, first decent showdown between Ineos and Jumbo too. We know Bernal is firing, interested to see how Roglic, Dumoulin are going
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Am I the only one to have just noticed Amador, after 10 years at movistar, is now at Ineos?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195

Am I the only one to have just noticed Amador, after 10 years at movistar, is now at Ineos?

It's been mentioned, but surprisingly little discussion about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Am I the only one to have just noticed Amador, after 10 years at movistar, is now at Ineos?

He was in a long protracted transfer for ages. Lots of contract issues so the move took months. Was spotted training with an Ineos top well before the transfer was finally confirmed
  • The last 100km of the final stage (to Grand Colombier) are the same as the stage that will be in the Tour
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited August 2020
    Interested to see the form of riders on the Colombier.

Can I ask the cyclists here a question? I’ve watched the tour since 89 and Giro since mid 2000s but apart from some leisurely cycling/commuting I’m not really a cyclist. Always been a runner.

How much more form can riders find 3 weeks out from a grand tour? Or conversely how close to top form should they be? (Clearly timing things to peak for the 3rd week is key too) I guess this year is a bit different with the lack of racing. Just curious though I guess riders will be different.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I think asking a hobby cyclist on here is probably not that meaningful since we probably don't have the physiology or time to train of a pro cyclist...

Form is basically a balance between your long term training and your short term training - if you've done too much close to the event you will be carrying a lot of fatigue, which means you won't have any form - this is what a lot of amateurs get wrong coming up to an event, thinking they can train a lot in the last week.

From my own understanding, 3 weeks out there's not all that much left that a pro can do with their fitness but what they can do is reduce your fatigue, which results in them coming into form (ideally).

Although, GTs are weird and unnatural so everything is more or less guesswork on our part, since even riders who share data don't share their longer term training load charts etc.. Something I've heard a lot that riding into form is not really what happens, closer to the truth is that everyone is deteriorating over the 3 weeks, but some deteriorate faster than others. Although that doesn't fully explain e.g., Yates' collapse the other year (I think he came into that too close to the peak and without having tapered enough, myself, which is supported by what they've said since).

For me I would only do like a 1 week taper, I gather pros do quite a bit more, but their training load will be miles and miles higher than mine, obviously. I would be training hard on a progressive training plan where I would finish the last block roughly a week before the event, and then I would have a taper week where I dramatically cut the volume (but keep some of the intensity). But then, I only ever do one day events!
  • I think asking a hobby cyclist on here is probably not that meaningful since we probably don't have the physiology or time to train of a pro cyclist...

Form is basically a balance between your long term training and your short term training - if you've done too much close to the event you will be carrying a lot of fatigue, which means you won't have any form - this is what a lot of amateurs get wrong coming up to an event, thinking they can train a lot in the last week.

From my own understanding, 3 weeks out there's not all that much left that a pro can do with their fitness but what they can do is reduce your fatigue, which results in them coming into form (ideally).

Although, GTs are weird and unnatural so everything is more or less guesswork on our part, since even riders who share data don't share their longer term training load charts etc.. Something I've heard a lot that riding into form is not really what happens, closer to the truth is that everyone is deteriorating over the 3 weeks, but some deteriorate faster than others. Although that doesn't fully explain e.g., Yates' collapse the other year (I think he came into that too close to the peak and without having tapered enough, myself, which is supported by what they've said since).

For me I would only do like a 1 week taper, I gather pros do quite a bit more, but their training load will be miles and miles higher than mine, obviously. I would be training hard on a progressive training plan where I would finish the last block roughly a week before the event, and then I would have a taper week where I dramatically cut the volume (but keep some of the intensity). But then, I only ever do one day events!

I was always hopeless at the marathon taper 😂 I got down to 2.58 but nowhere near what I should’ve been able to do off my half time. Almost always felt better in training and I’d even say I probably did too little in a taper that was too long heading in the race itself.

That’s interesting though thanks 👍
  • Stage 1 was quite an eye opener.
    Roglic attacking on the final lump and being lead out for the sprint, only for DQS to come up with another winner in Andra Bagioli.

For Ineos, Bernal and Geraint Thomas were right on Roglic's wheel, although it looked like the Colombian was suffering a bit.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Dumoulin 4th in his first race for 420 days
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm

Stage 1 was quite an eye opener.
    Roglic attacking on the final lump and being lead out for the sprint, only for DQS to come up with another winner in Andra Bagioli.

For Ineos, Bernal and Geraint Thomas were right on Roglic's wheel, although it looked like the Colombian was suffering a bit.

A very strange finish. Need to re-watch it to try and figure out what happened.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Weird ramp right at the end and the line itself was on a funny angle. Don't really think anyone knew what to do with it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Bagioli basically won by accident... :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    ddraver said:

It was all a bit "After you.", "No, after you."
    Team My Man 2022:

• rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Dumoulin 4th in his first race for 420 days

Roglic looked ridiculously strong, mind.

Is he going in too hot again?
  • Dunno.

Little Richie went in too hot yesterday.

99 Richie Porte Trek-Segafredo + 01:16

Better than Froome, mind. His must still be on domestique chores....

113 Chris Froome Team Ineos + 01:46
  • DeadCalm
    Wasn't concentrating the first time I watched it as I had it pegged as a bog standard sprint stage. Doh!
    Didn't see how much work Froome put in but in any event I am still convinced that he will be near to the pointy end in the Tour.
    Roglic looked incredible but then he did for a spell last year. Hard to draw any conclusions from a short drag. Looking forward to the rest of the race.
    Team My Man 2022:

• RichN95.
    edited August 2020

Better than Froome, mind. His must still be on domestique chores....

113 Chris Froome Team Ineos + 01:46

He had to change his bike quite late on. He got back to the peloton, but not back to the front (probably didn't bother) and got caught out by the splits. He wasn't at the front for any of the last 20km while his team was.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah late bike change for Froome apparently.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    ddraver said:

Bagioli looked very surprised. ES took a long time to ID him after the finish too.

• DeadCalm said:

Wasn't concentrating the first time I watched it as I had it pegged as a bog standard sprint stage. Doh!
    Didn't see how much work Froome put in but in any event I am still convinced that he will be near to the pointy end in the Tour.
    Roglic looked incredible but then he did for a spell last year. Hard to draw any conclusions from a short drag. Looking forward to the rest of the race.

Froome?
    I did have a bit of a siesta mid stage, but I only saw Castroviejo do a monster turn. holding the front for a lot of kms, right up until the pointy bit started.
  • DeadCalm
    Jumbo have exploded this. Cracking stage.
    Team My Man 2022:

• rick_chasey
    Missed the split but joined with the select group.

Roglic needs to practice pretending to look rubbish. Looks way too good. Level above everyone else.
  • rick_chasey
    Crazy to think this Jumbo team was once Rabobank.
  • Quality stage, Jumbo making a statement. Roglic does look very strong indeed
  • RichN95.
    Where did Thomas go? He was in the front group, they went to an ad break, and when came back he was gone
  • rick_chasey
    Jumbo doing what they should be by making Ineos chase by sending Kruiswijk up the road.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Where did Thomas go? He was in the front group, they went to an ad break, and when came back he was gone

Yes I thought I missed that whilst getting an ice cream. I think he was dropped but can’t confirm.