Unpopular Pro Race Opinions

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
edited August 2020 in Pro race
As requested by BB.

A couple to kick off with:

My unpopular opinion here is that the much ridiculed sock rule is a good rule as it stops riders looking ridiculous, and I would even be in favour of making it shorter.

Here's an unpopular opinion:

Strong teams in GTs are overrated. It's nearly always the guy with the best legs that wins.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Sep Vanmarcke is the best cobbles rider since the retirement of Cancellara

TTTs have no place no place GTs

The vuelta has been, on average, the best GT of the year over last ten years or so. Froome has really helped with this.

It would have been much better if Froome hadn't joined Sky

Cavendish is not finished

Movistar managed multiple team leaders reasonably well.

Oh, and national jerseys...

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Totally with you on TTTs!

Being a ski jumper has a negligible impact on your ability to descend on a road bike
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Agree on the TTTs and national jerseys. (I assume only worn if it is the jersey of the country(ies) where the race is taking place.)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited August 2020

Agree on the TTTs and national jerseys. (I assume only worn if it is the jersey of the country(ies) where the race is taking place.)

I've banged the anti-national jerseys drum for a long time. I don't think it's that unpopular an opinion

Another unpopular opinion: If he rode today Eddy Merckx would basically be a Belgian Vincenzo Nibali
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

I've banged the anti-national jerseys drum for a long time. I don't think it's that unpopular an opinion
    Is with me.
  • I suspect at this point it's probably a more unpopular opinion to suggest that some of the modern takes on the national jerseys look all right, actually.
  • rick_chasey
    Love a good national jersey.
  • RichN95.
    When Marc De Maar turned up in the jersey for the champion of Curacao, they should have called a halt to the whole thing. It's not even a country it's a liqueur

• rick_chasey
    I’d go even further and say there should be stricter rules on what National jersey is required like they do with the worlds champ.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I like a national Jersey too.

I do think Curaçao is taking the mick a bit, but, well, he earned it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    I can't imagine something similar in other team sports. The Barbarians wear different socks, but I can't think of any others.
  • rick_chasey

Strong teams in GTs are overrated. It's nearly always the guy with the best legs that wins.

2008 Tour de France says different.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It is very easy to regulate a bunch sprint.
  • TheBigBean

2008 Tour de France says different.
    Evans was better?
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    There are only 3 real monuments - Roubaix, Flanders & Strada Bianche.
  • TheBigBean
    jam1e said:

That's an excellent contribution. There are some on here who regard strade bianche as a chipper.
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95. said:

Another unpopular opinion: If he rode today Eddy Merckx would basically be a Belgian Vincenzo Nibali
    His hour record stood the test of time though.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Are we talking unpopular on this site or unpopular with the cycling world in general?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    National jerseys should be controlled like WC is. Eg the pathetic efforts Movistar and Astana do should be banned.

Contador is one of the least stylish (in terms of riding style) riders to have existed.

Sep Vanmarke is vastly over rated.

As cool as EF are in their alternative racing etc they're a waste of a WT license and it should be given to a team who want to race like Alpecin Fenix.

Sagan is done in terms of dominance, and he's ruined the Green Jersey.

Flanders, Roubaix, World Championship. Are the biggest races in cycling.
  • RichN95.
    If Blood doping had disappeared after Festina, Armstrong would still have won the Tour (not 7 times)

Peter Sagan is not a particularly interesting personality
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312

Sep Vanmarcke is the best cobbles rider since the retirement of Cancellara

Untrue. Gilbert won both Flanders and Roubaix since then.

Cavendish is not finished

I hope you're right, but it has been over 2 years since he has won on the road. He actually finally seems finished.

Movistar managed multiple team leaders reasonably well.

They won the team classification after all! :wink:
    The GT they actually won, they didn't really have that multiple leader thing as much. I think it was just Landa and Carapaz.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    jam1e said:

Amen brother
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

His hour record stood the test of time though.

Only because nobody serious bothered until Moser. And then they changed the rules and a scrapheap Boardman beat it with the first serious attempt.
  • RichN95. said:

If Blood doping had disappeared after Festina, Armstrong would still have won the Tour (not 7 times)

I think Jan Ullrich would disagree with you.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • And Pantani.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • RichN95.

And Pantani.

I’m pretty sure he won’t
  • RichN95. said:

And Pantani.

I’m pretty sure he won’t
    That much is obvious. Unless you can raise the dead.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • RichN95.
    Oh, here’s a big one - Paris-Roubaix is better dry than wet. A bit of moisture is good, but proper mud, no
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    RichN95. said:

Oh, here’s a big one - Paris-Roubaix is better dry than wet. A bit of moisture is good, but proper mud, no

Don't think this qualifies. It's clearly better dry.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993

jam1e said:

That's an excellent contribution. There are some on here who regard strade bianche as a chipper.
    Roubaix is disappointing more often than not.
    Strade is the best one dayer.