Friday, Is this the real World

Morning, near tropical at the moment, early ride, relaxing , unless anything else crops up
Have a good day

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    'ning

glad you have some decent weather too :smiley:

ride, cafes, shop, bask
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • parryman
    parryman Posts: 153
    Work (well, the WFH Friday approximation)
    Did a beer run to Lidl for their beer festival line up yesterday, so 5pm I'll be tucking into some of those.
    Might see if I can get a quick blast about on the bike later (pre-beer)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
    .•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨).•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.•´¸.•*´¨The Amazing Parryman
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Hounds walked, quick run and now work stuff all day.

Later is pack the car up ready for costa Cornwall
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    tlw1 said:

Hounds walked, quick run and now work stuff all day.

Later is pack the car up ready for costa Cornwall

Are you popping into here by any chance? https://the-track.co.uk/
  • thistle_

Morning, near tropical at the moment, early ride, relaxing , unless anything else crops up
    Have a good day

Tropical here too, in that it's calm, warm and humid. The drizzle on the ride this mornig was nice, the morons on the roads were not but I guess that's the problem with going out at early rush hour.

WFH for a bit today, then might challenge myself to find somewhere sunny to go that's not overrun by tourists.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, plenty of work today plus I get to argue with electricians on on their interpretation of the Edition 18 regs had three in all giving wildly different quotes and guidelines on burying cable and what the work would require.

Sparky 1, SWA taken from existing socket (in kitchen) buried 2ft for safety - £195

Sparky 2 , SWA taken from a different socket which seeing zero use buried 18 inches max circuit load 30a but will need a new RCD in the consumer unit to avoid unwanted tripping. - £460

Sparky 3, SWA taken from main consumer unit, unit will require replacing as is not up to current spec (plastic body not metal) cable only need to be buried 4-5 inches - £1400

Hassle I don't really want today but needs to be done.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    ^ only 4-5 inches buried? 😳 Is that the same numptie that laid the Virgin fibre cable into this rental place I have the now, buried approx 1cm below the surface? What could poss go wrong?

Gonna be a hot one, forecasting 32. This lazy bleeper better get his act together and get out soon before is too scorchio. Think a gravel jaunt up on the Ridgeway, beautiful and quiet up there, before quite probably a few beers.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Finished one big job at home, another to start immediately after.

Hermes are annoying me as my parcel has been at their depot for two days now. Not that I've got a clue what to do with it except screw them in and look at some numbers. I should really buy a book.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I buried the cable to the garage myself. Left ends for the sparky to work on. No one but me knows the depth.

Trying to find a suitable helmet for shorty. Everything is sold out. One of you guys must have something knocking around?
    Swap a GP4000 for a helmet Thistle?

Must cut grass.
    Cooked after yesterdays pedalling 'jolly'. Frikkin wind. Frikkin hills. Friikin clouds and a spot of frikkin drizzle. Frikkin wheel bearing set up. Frikkin close pass tourists/farmers/short sighted geriatrics driving frikkin micro cars. Frikkin 3rd world roads. Frikkin flood debris. Frikkin gigantic puddles.
    parryman said:

Work (well, the WFH Friday approximation)
    Did a beer run to Lidl for their beer festival line up yesterday, so 5pm I'll be tucking into some of those.
    Might see if I can get a quick blast about on the bike later (pre-beer)

Beer > bike > beer shirley?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    p.s, looks like our holiday to Italy is fucked.

Possible quarantine on return to the UK for anyone driving through northern Europe :(
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    ...if only Shorty didn't want blue...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149

p.s, looks like our holiday to Italy is censored .

Possible quarantine on return to the UK for anyone driving through northern Europe :(

Has anyone told Veronese he won't be going to the pub until late August?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Morning, plenty of work today plus I get to argue with electricians on on their interpretation of the Edition 18 regs had three in all giving wildly different quotes and guidelines on burying cable and what the work would require.

Sparky 1, SWA taken from existing socket (in kitchen) buried 2ft for safety - £195

Sparky 2 , SWA taken from a different socket which seeing zero use buried 18 inches max circuit load 30a but will need a new RCD in the consumer unit to avoid unwanted tripping. - £460

Sparky 3, SWA taken from main consumer unit, unit will require replacing as is not up to current spec (plastic body not metal) cable only need to be buried 4-5 inches - £1400

I was with you up to 'SWA' there Step.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Hot outside, bit I'll be sitting in my little North facing room beavering away. Fnarr Fnarr.
  • step83 said:

Just buy a long extension with an RCD built it and and some poles. run the cable about 10ft up, problem solved*. Or, buy some plastic waste pipe and run it inside that*. If it's on a plug you should be able to treat it as a simple extension cable*.

*I'm not a sparky and I have not read up on this.
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

Trying to find a suitable helmet for shorty. Everything is sold out. One of you guys must have something knocking around?
    Swap a GP4000 for a helmet Thistle?

PlanetX have loads in stock, but they're all adult sizes and I guess you're after a kids one?

I've got a couple of bike helmets lying around but they're all large and crash damaged unfortunately: I was keeping one in case somewhere did a trade in deal, but now I've got another damaged one and nowhere was doing a trade in at the time.

• orraloon

*I'm not a sparky and I have not read up on this.

Woah, that was a surprise 😊
  • pinno
    Up in the air cable?! PITA.

Grass cutting got kaiboshed by rain.

That bike trail thingy in Cornwall looks well good innit.

Found a helmet for Shorty. [Fat lot of good you lot are]
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

Hmm GP4000 or Pro3 for a time trial?
    Only got 1 GP4000 though :confused:

@thistle_(mbnw) : So you haven't worn out the Pro 3's i sold you?
    I have one GP4000 - if yer quick, i'll post it to you cheap.
    Yeah your Pro3s got well and truly thrashed last year. In the end, one kept getting punctures and could never find the cause and the other had some cuts and blisters in the tread/sidewall so called it a day and bought another pair new when they were on offer.
    They'd been sitting in the drawer though because there wasn't much point putting them on just to ride up and down sh!tty potholed glass strewn roads until racing started again.
    I've put the Pro3s on for now and I'll see how they go, they seemed a bit skittish while out earlier but maybe they just need breaking in a little. A few slides around the left hand hairpins tomorrow should sort it out :smile:
  • pinno
    TBH, I loved the Pro3's but I am surrounded by fields and farms and I got punctures galore.
    Glad you got some use out of them.

I still have that single Gp4000 :smile:
  • step83
    oxoman said:

Step. As a sparky myself, number 3 is pulling your bits. Current regs and previous regs state all consumer units must be metal body, however they don't state they have to be upgraded immediately. Cable should routed to prevent mechanical damage and a spade depth isn't enough. Nothing wrong with number 1 as long as its able to be isolated from point of connection i.e socket in kitchen. Normally a switched fuses spur 13amp supply max. Must be protected by 30mA RCD whichever way you go. Number 2 sounds like he's taking it off the ring or an old cooker supply if rating at 30amp and potentially giving it it's own trip which is probably the best idea. Just depends what your intending on doing in said shed. If like wheelspinners you want a powerstation if just a light and turbo set up option 1, if intending doing a bit in between then option 2. All 3 should be a minimum Part P accredited or NICEIC approved contractors. Number 3 is suggesting the best installation until he buries it just below the surface. All 3 are an improvement on flex run in garden hose or twin and earth in plastic pipe, seen all sorts over the years and all work just not necessarily right or safe. Have fun Step.

Yeah thinking option two, he is looking at taking it from the end of the existing double in the living room that we don't use. pin it to the outer wall then across the garden (buried) and up to a panel. He mentioned about a time delay RCD so if I trip the garage it wont trip everything else.
    Stuff wise, the two biggest power tools it will run are a pillar drill or grinder both induction motor single phase. bar that a radio, pair of LED lights and charging for battery power tools, maybe a turbo trainer.

First one I can't find anything that hes Part P accredited.

second he is NICEIC as hes doing inspection work while his hand heals (some kind of tendon injury to his hand)

Third, he is registered again but kept trying to throw in jargon, he took one look at the fuse panel an decided it was a C1 risk. Its a Plastic unit which is not near a fire exit or wooden staircase I did a mental eye roll when he came out with it.

Cable I'm digging the trench anyway was going about 18" bed of shingle and then I have some yellow electrical cable warning tape I can lob in too.

Beats what I took out, hole bashed into the wall feed taken directly off the back of a socket, normal house cable or an extension lead buried in the garden stapled to the wall up an in via a small hole in the garage wall then down into some sockets. warm cables and one of the sockets hummed if anything was plugged in.
  • FFS, just buy a generator from machine mart, then you can take your electricity wherever you want.
  • Just dropped mrs DHL and little DHL's at the beach for the day. Got the shopping on the way home, popped into screwfix and got some 32tpi hacksaw blades to cut the carbon steerer (finally), some GU10's for kitchen and downstairs toilet, and had my lunch while watching the sweeney. Now back WFH.
  • pinno

...and got some 32tpi hacksaw blades to cut the carbon steerer (finally)...

Masking tape > slide on a spacer > mark with marker pen > wood saw. Hacksaw blades don't stay straight IMHO.
    That's how I did mine.
    I put a nick at the point I wanted to cut the steerer. With the masking tape on, I could feel the mark underneath the tape and then used this to mark my cut.
    The spacer gives you a near perfect right angle.

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited August 2020
    pinno said:

...and got some 32tpi hacksaw blades to cut the carbon steerer (finally)...

Masking tape > slide on a spacer > mark with marker pen > wood saw. Hacksaw blades don't stay straight IMHO.
    That's how I did mine.
    I put a nick at the point I wanted to cut the steerer. With the masking tape on, I could feel the mark underneath the tape and then used this to mark my cut.
    The spacer gives you a near perfect right angle.

I like the way you use a cup of tea to contain and dispose of the carbon dust!
    I was going to smear grease at the cut to collect it but the tea should dissolve it if it is weak and watery.
    edit: i see you clamped the steerer in a vice. :s
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Stevo_666 said:

Have they already decided? This morning I read making a decision on France in 5 days. We should get back just before it in that case. No matter, they'll be shutting the pubs soon anyway ;)
    Glorious day he here, lounging by the pool then packing before going to dinner with friends. Hit the road tomorrow :'(
  • Stevo_666 said:

Have they already decided? This morning I read making a decision on France in 5 days. We should get back just before it in that case. No matter, they'll be shutting the pubs soon anyway ;)
    Glorious day he here, lounging by the pool then packing before going to dinner with friends. Hit the road tomorrow :'(
    it's going to be a tortuous and toll filled route driving back though.
  • Great news from Mrs DHL, they want me to collect them from the beach now because it's just started raining. The trouble is 500,000 other people all want to leave at the same time so this is gonna be fun...
    To misquote Apocalypse now: never get out of the car, absolutely god damn right.
  • orraloon
    Hypothetical ? V68 drives back from Italy. Whatever his route is, his choice. I'd be considering, as in the past, avoiding the French autoroute tolls and e.g. going that route via Luxembourg / Belgium / Lille and up to the coast motorway at Dunkerque for Calais, me being a cheapskate.

Belgium! Bzzzt. But the noddy reentry form you have to fill in, which they didn't check at all at Calais 2 weeks ago, doesn't need any 'proof'. So who's to know which way one has got to Calais? Telling porkies to authority? Oh you mean following our illustrious role model BloJo.

Or alt, if you don't get out of your car in Belgium? Just drive straight through. Or if your car wears a mask? Ooh, I've just thought of a marketing opp, see you on Amazon...
  • step83
    oxoman said:

Step. Local authorities keep the part P register. Your 3rd guy sounds like he's either just qualified or taking the Michael. 2nd guy sounds about right price wise and install wise. You could always run a geni off the turbo.

Yeah booked No2 spark hes dropping off the SWA monday so we can dig the trench he said let him know when the cables in so he can witness its down far enough he reckons a couple of weeks an he will be OK again poor guy cant clench his hand at the moment.

On steerer cutting, this is why I have a steerer cutting guide, and a nice 12" hacksaw with a 32tpi blade.