Pro cyclists ......

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited August 2020 in Pro race
So we got pro cyclists like Dylan Groenewegen who cheats by pushing his opponents into the barriers (this is not the first time he has done it). What is even more crazy, is that other pro cyclists such as Simon Geschke from CCC are attacking the organizers rather than Dylan Groenewegen.

What the hell is wrong with these people? Dylan should be thrown in jail and every single pro cyclist who defends Dylan needs to be banned for life.

What is also disturbing is that Team ineos / sky still employs racists like Moscon who has abused black pro riders.

Luckly, Simon Geschke will be out of job soon hopefully considering that CCC will end their sponsership after 2020.

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    No replied needed
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • zest28
    gsk82 said:

No replied needed

Thanks for supporting criminal and racist behavior in pro cycling.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    What’s racism got to do with this?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Nothing. Let's not feed this particular troll.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • zest28 said:

So we got pro cyclists like Dylan Groenewegen who cheats by pushing his opponents into the barriers (this is not the first time he has done it). What is even more crazy, is that other pro cyclists such as Simon Geschke from CCC are attacking the organizers rather than Dylan Groenewegen.

What the hell is wrong with these people? Dylan should be thrown in jail and every single pro cyclist who defends Dylan needs to be banned for life.

What is also disturbing is that Team ineos / sky still employs racists like Moscon who has abused black pro riders.

Luckly, Simon Geschke will be out of job soon hopefully considering that CCC will end their sponsership after 2020.

You are a very disturbed individual.
    Seek help.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • zest28
    edited August 2020

zest28 said:

Seek help.
    I suggest you seek help since you are fine with people smashing other people in the barriers at 50 mph in order to win. Fabio could have been killed yesterday with the criminal behavior of Dylan who has done this multiple times in the past.

And if you are also fine that Moscon is still in pro cycling despite being a clear racist and also has a history assaulting other pro cyclists, that says enough about you.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,125
    Are you the pro-armstrong thread guy?
  • zest28
    edited August 2020

Are you the pro-armstrong thread guy?

Taking substances which everybody was on and willing to kill other pro riders (and spectactors) for a win is not even on the same level.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    I've been waiting for someone to be able to bring Ineos/Sky into this.

I agree DG deserves a ban, the rest of the season at least. Jackobsen may never race again, dependant on how bad the physical and mental scars are.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Shorter bans imposed more consistently will be more effective in preventing sprinters blocking others than one massive ban imposed when the consequences are more severe. No sprinter expects their opponent to end up in hospital, they are hoping to squeeze them just enough that they back off yet it could be argued the gap was still there.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

Shorter bans imposed more consistently will be more effective in preventing sprinters blocking others than one massive ban imposed when the consequences are more severe. No sprinter expects their opponent to end up in hospital, they are hoping to squeeze them just enough that they back off yet it could be argued the gap was still there.

Very good point and I whole heartedly agree with it. Well said.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    Yep, the periodic freak out and call for life suspension /imprisonment /death penalty is pretty ridiculous. It only happens when the consequences are bad. Better to have regular smaller penalties that are meaningful
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DG only did what most sprinters do all the time, they barge and block one another all the time in bunch sprints to try and protect their position.

What surprises me is the lack of proper safety barriers at sprint finishes.... The usual choice is those metal barriers which are probably worse than if there was nothing there at all. Surely in this day and age, someone could come up with a decent safety barrier that would at least help to soften a sprinters fall. I.e just look at F1 where there's tyre walls to soften impacts after huge gravel pits. Trying to stop sprinters doing what they do (barge for position) is just not going to work, accidents will always happen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Again, the problem with cycling road racing is that it is on public roads and all barriers and other finish infrastructure has to be of a type that can be erected and dismantled in a few hours to minimise the time the road is closed. Riders regularly hit the barriers but this is the first time I've seen anything like that.
  • Sure, but there must be possibilities for something safer, that's quick to erect.... Inflatable crash mats/padding, custom linkable barriers etc... I'm no safety expert, but surely it can be done.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020

Sure, but there must be possibilities for something safer, that's quick to erect.... Inflatable crash mats/padding, custom linkable barriers etc... I'm no safety expert, but surely it can be done.

If you make it that onerous to have a sprint finish they just won’t have a sprint finish.

How about things that are already done like the right kind of fences and hoardings that stay solid?
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    I would have thought something resembling ice hockey fencing could work- walls rather than railings, a bit taller with a transparent section. Any rider hitting that stuff would glance off rather then the catapult effect we see all to often.
    Not a nice for the fans, but rider safety has to come first- they’re being treated like roman gladiators at present.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited August 2020
    I am amazed by the response of many fans.
    Blame the course, blame the barriers, blame the organizers, blame the UCI, talk about modernisation and rider safety, but don't apportion any blame to the rider because he was "only doing what riders have always done and you can't stop top sprinters from doing it..."

Wrong, you can stop riders doing it and we all know how. As DeVlaeminck has suggested:

"Short bans imposed more consistently will be more effective."

After all, what punishment is "relegation to the back of the group," to a sprinter, who only thinks in terms of coming first?

That's why they do it all the time.
  • zest28

DG only did what most sprinters do all the time, they barge and block one another all the time in bunch sprints to try and protect their position.

What surprises me is the lack of proper safety barriers at sprint finishes.... The usual choice is those metal barriers which are probably worse than if there was nothing there at all. Surely in this day and age, someone could come up with a decent safety barrier that would at least help to soften a sprinters fall. I.e just look at F1 where there's tyre walls to soften impacts after huge gravel pits. Trying to stop sprinters doing what they do (barge for position) is just not going to work, accidents will always happen.

Do you know that moves like this is illegal according to UCI? So the excuse that everybody is doing it is not a valid reason, it is illegal for good reason.

Also, you do not see world class athletes like Lewis Hamilton smashing his competitors into the walls in order to win in Formula 1.

So cyclists like Dylan (who has done this many times in the past) is not a true athlete as he is a cheat who repeatedly puts the lives other competitors in danger and should be kicked out permanently (and this also holds true for other pro cyclists who do this).

This sort behavior (which happens to be also illegal according to UCI) is inexcusable.
  • zest28
    edited August 2020
    You also don’t shoot people (which is also illegal) because you see other people doing it?

People who commit such offenses are removed from society often permanently for good reason as they are a danger to others.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    zest28 said:

Also, you do not see world class athletes like Lewis Hamilton smashing his competitors into the walls in order to win in Formula 1.

Oh yes you do!
    Too early for panto?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Is there a rider penalty point system? If not then the UCI need to implement one similar to f1 - so a rider accumulates points for every infraction of the rules, including dangerous riding/ causing an accident, and when a certain number is hit they are suspended.

It has been pretty successful in f1 and I think, over time, would work in cycling and help to increase fair riding and improve safety.
  • Pross
    zest28 said:

You also don’t shoot people (which is also illegal) because you see other people doing it?

People who commit such offenses are removed from society often permanently for good reason as they are a danger to others.

You seem to have a problem understanding the difference between something be illegal i.e. a criminal act and something being against the rules of a sport so it's hard to take your opinions seriously.
  • Pross
    zest28 said:

DG only did what most sprinters do all the time, they barge and block one another all the time in bunch sprints to try and protect their position.

Do you know that moves like this is illegal according to UCI? So the excuse that everybody is doing it is not a valid reason, it is illegal for good reason.

So cyclists like Dylan (who has done this many times in the past) is not a true athlete as he is a cheat who repeatedly puts the lives other competitors in danger and should be kicked out permanently (and this also holds true for other pro cyclists who do this).

This sort behavior (which happens to be also illegal according to UCI) is inexcusable.
    I don't think many are doing that. It's more a case of why this example of bad riding led to a more severe crash than in all the other examples. We've had examples before where a poor finish layout has contributed to a crash or made the effect worse (Abdu with the giant coke can for example) and officials learned from them and made improvements.
  • Pross
    siddy1972 said:

I would have thought something resembling ice hockey fencing could work- walls rather than railings, a bit taller with a transparent section. Any rider hitting that stuff would glance off rather then the catapult effect we see all to often.
    Not a nice for the fans, but rider safety has to come first- they’re being treated like roman gladiators at present.

Well organised events have the rails of a barrier in the finish straight faced with solid advertising hoardings that provide a decent alternative. In most cases a rider hitting the barriers will get stopped and gently deflected in the right direction although they will often still fall as balance is obviously quite precarious on a bike at 30mph plus. It's the same way a motorway safety fence works.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    I'll say it again. Paint a hard shoulder. Job done.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,125
    Yes, there's no way a crash is going to end brilliantly for everyone, but you can reduce the worst case scenario, as well as trying to reduce the number of crashes.

A Cote d'Azur down each side has been mentioned as a possibility, with entering/pushing someone into the blue having the same penalty as pushing into the barriers.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    zest28 said:

zest28 said:

Seek help.
    I suggest you seek help since you are fine with people smashing other people in the barriers at 50 mph in order to win. Fabio could have been killed yesterday with the criminal behavior of Dylan who has done this multiple times in the past.

And if you are also fine that Moscon is still in pro cycling despite being a clear racist and also has a history assaulting other pro cyclists, that says enough about you.
    oh god hes one of those cancel cretins
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020

I am amazed by the response of many fans.
    Blame the course, blame the barriers, blame the organizers, blame the UCI, talk about modernisation and rider safety, but don't apportion any blame to the rider because he was "only doing what riders have always done and you can't stop top sprinters from doing it..."

Wrong, you can stop riders doing it and we all know how. As DeVlaeminck has suggested:

After all, what punishment is "relegation to the back of the group," to a sprinter, who only thinks in terms of coming first?

Honest question is what Groenewegen did really that bad?

I see it happen *a lot*. Most sprints in fact. It’s only that Fabio decided to go round rather than squeeze the brakes.

DQ seems reasonable, no?
  • I am amazed by the response of many fans.

Honest question is what Groenewegen did really that bad?

I see it happen *a lot*. Most sprints in fact. It’s only that Fabio decided to go round rather than squeeze the brakes.

DQ seems reasonable, no?
    Did you read my post?
    For someone who for months has been arguing about the need for regular re-evaluation of "historical" acts, you are doing the opposite here.

I haven't got the knives out for Groenewegen.
    I am saying it is no longer acceptable to deny rider culpability on the grounds of: " he did nothing wrong because sprinting has always been like that..."
    You of all people should recognise the need for change, not just in terms of safety precautions, but in using the actual rules as a deterrent to potentially dangerous acts.

I can't help but think that if this had been Nacer Bouhanni, this debate would have taken a much more straightforward line.