New bike 150mm dropper

I have just purchased a vitus mystique vrx 27 full sus and got the large frame as it started 5ft 10 to 6ft2 (I'm a fraction short of 5ft 11).

My worry is that my friend has the vrx hard tail with a 150mm dropper and is a little taller and he has the dropper post all the way down into the frame. The full sus vrx does not allow the dropper to go all the way into the tube due to the frame design, so I'm worried it will be too high when the post is in the up position.

What do u reckon? Surely if crc say its fone for 5ft 10 and above I should be ok?

Comments

• Ps it has not arrived yet obvs
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Rider height is just a rough guide. Inside leg measurement is a far more useful indicator.
    Afraid you'll just have to wait and see how the bike fits.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited August 2020
    When the bike arrives, push the dropper body all the way into the seat tube, with the post fully extended. Ride the bike, if the saddle is too low, you'll be fine. :)
    Adjust from there.

If the saddle is too high (mine was too high by 10mm), then you have two options:

1) Use the dropper function to get the saddle to the correct height. This is a very short term solution because the first time you need to lower the saddle further you lose that position. I have tried this and I discovered that my 4rse was not calibrated well enough to judge where the correct height was while travelling across rocky ground.

2) Buy or swap for a dropper with 125mm travel (or less depending upon the imbalance). End of problem! Then sell the almost new 150mm dropper.
  • Thx, or option 3 send the bike back an order a medium. Hoping it's good though as those withan xl frame says it fits great for some 6ft 2 so its only 3 inches taller than me
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    My medium hardtail came with a 150mm dropper post. It was too high for me and was fully inserted. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inside leg measurement. As Steve said raising and lowering then losing the position each time you drop didn't work for me and got sick of doing it very quickly.

Not to say it won't work buying a medium size frame as seat tubes vary between bikes but it's also not guaranteed to be a solution either.

I removed it and replaced with a rigid seatpost for now. Will get around to selling my 150mm dropper and sure a 125mm travel dropper would fit me properly.
  • steve_sordy
    You need to look carefully at the geometry chart to see if the top of the seat tube is lower on the medium than the large. Lower by enough to make a difference that is! The bottom bracket height will be the same for both bikes.
    If the seat tubes are not far enough apart, then your only hope is that the dropper on the medium is 125 and not 150, but that usually happens only when you get to the small size and below.
  • Can you cut a branx dropper then? I guess not if its internal routing
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Don't know anything about cutting droppers, internally routed or otherwise, my guess is no but I could be wrong.

Still reckon your best option would be to sell unused 150mm dropper if it's too tall and buy a 125mm which wouldn't leave you out of pocket by much if you get a fair price for a fitted but unused dropper.
  • steve_sordy
    I am unaware of any dropper that can have its travel reduced. Although on another Forum, someone did try cutting one down and came on to ask if it could be fixed! :o
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited August 2020
    The On One Dropper Post can be travel reduced by 10mm or 20mm using shims.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • R they easy to install on the brand models?