BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Do you think they thought that it would all be up for negotiation again as part of the trade agreement, so would disappear if there was no deal?

It is strange that nobody bothered to ask Boris why he was confidently stating that we could simply ignore the terms of the Agreement he had signed.

His seems to say anything that comes into his head to make an immediate problem go away.

Why people chose to believe him is a mystery to me. I can only think that it is a Trumpian ability to tell people things they want to believe.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531

We’ve signed the withdrawal agreement by mistake

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    What's wrong with the withdrawal agreement?
  • What's wrong with the withdrawal agreement?

I have not read it in detail but I believe it does not meet the objective of the UK leaving as a whole with NI having the same customs arrangement with the EU as Dover.

I am guessing IDS has noticed that NI has got the non-sh1tty end of the stick and wants to even things up.

I have not read it in detail but I believe it does not meet the objective of the UK leaving as a whole with NI having the same customs arrangement with the EU as Dover.

I am guessing IDS has noticed that NI has got the non-sh1tty end of the stick and wants to even things up.
    And it leaves us holding the can for €180bn of open ended debt.

• We’ve signed the withdrawal agreement by mistake

Nice. Wins the internet today.

Got a source for this?

I've not seen anything like this being reported
  • TheBigBean

Yes, subject to democratic approval in four years time. Seems fine to me.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207

Got a source for this?

Got a source for this?

So a deal is going to cost us £160bn? Thus no-deal saves us £160bn?

Is this why Barnier is so worried as his chances of getting a deal are less likely now?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    God No!
    No!
    Please No!
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham

Got a source for this?

So a deal is going to cost us £160bn? Thus no-deal saves us £160bn?

Is this why Barnier is so worried as his chances of getting a deal are less likely now?
    It's already law - https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8039/

• TheBigBean
    The news is that IDS doesn't like it, but he voted for it. No one seems to have actually researched the issue.

Anyway, it seems the UK continues to guarantee its share of the EIB loans, so the figure being quoted probably assumes that every loan fails to be repaid which isn't very likely.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    There is many a confusion between the withdrawal agreement and the deal at the end of it. Separate things.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham

The news is that IDS doesn't like it, but he voted for it. No one seems to have actually researched the issue.

Anyway, it seems the UK continues to guarantee its share of the EIB loans, so the figure being quoted probably assumes that every loan fails to be repaid which isn't very likely.

So, am I right to say that a no deal doesn't save us £160bn, because the £160bn is just a big number to scare people, but no-deal won't save us any of it anyway?
  • The news is that IDS doesn't like it, but he voted for it. No one seems to have actually researched the issue.

Firstly, was any of the EU's Coronavirus funding an EIB loan?

It says we will not be liable for any loans when we are no longer a member of the EU as that means we cannot be a member of the EIB and that occurred on 31st January 2020.

It also says we are not liable for any programmes agreed after leaving the EU ie 31st January 2020

However, there is a paragraph saying we are liable for EU commitments as of end of WA (31st December 2020). I cannot work out if these are solely standard budgetary commitments or any commitment made up to 31st December 2020.

I'll admit I don't know and don't know if £160bn is part of a deal/no-deal negotiation
  • TheBigBean

So, am I right to say that a no deal doesn't save us £160bn, because the £160bn is just a big number to scare people, but no-deal won't save us any of it anyway?
    This is the withdrawal agreement, so no deal has no impact on that, but otherwise I believe you are right, but credible reporting on Brexit is hard to come by.

Got a source for this?

A bit more research and IDS does not understand what he is talking about, which probably explains the lack of coverage.

Also, nothing to do with the EU's C19 liabilities

• TheBigBean

Got a source for this?

A bit more research and IDS does not understand what he is talking about, which probably explains the lack of coverage.

Also, nothing to do with the EU's C19 liabilities

That's what I said.
  • tailwindhome
    edited August 2020

A bit more research and IDS does not understand what he is talking about

I have heard it said.

To paraphrase Shrek, the stupidity of IDS's tweet is like an onion, it has layers.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    I haven't read the article, but I think the campaign was doomed, and therefore a fall out was always going to happen. "Let's make it the best of three" was only going to win over the hardcore.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531

I haven't read the article, but I think the campaign was doomed, and therefore a fall out was always going to happen. "Let's make it the best of three" was only going to win over the hardcore.
    It’s a really good read.

Good journalism should be paid for and all that.
  • TheBigBean

It’s a really good read.

I'll start paying when I find good journalism.

For example, on the discussion above about IDS's statements, why do I have to go read the withdrawal agreement references to the EIB, to understand the issue or lack of it? Shouldn't good journalism being doing that? Instead journalism focuses on the non-issue or on the u-turn.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406

No wonder it was so popular on here then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    Gove in NI today
    Needs a suitcase full of mitigations and a solution for the UK supermarket chains.
  • Gove in NI today
    Needs a suitcase full of mitigations and a solution for the UK supermarket chains.

expand please
  • tailwindhome

Gove in NI today

expand please
    N e e d s a s u i t c a s e f u l l o f m i t i g a t i o n s a n d a s o l u t i o n f o r t h e U K s u p e r m a r k e t c h a i n s
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

It’s a really good read.

I agree, its a good read, unfortunately I think the people who were running this were seen as the upper middle class elite, as they may have gained a bit of traction in London but outside of that it never really came off!
  • Gove in NI today

expand please
    N e e d s a s u i t c a s e f u l l o f m i t i g a t i o n s a n d a s o l u t i o n f o r t h e U K s u p e r m a r k e t c h a i n s

very good