Alloy seatpost and frame. Is super grip or similar needed?

I’ve read conflicting reports re the use of Supergrip or similar for an alloy seatpost and frame.
Just wondering what people do?
Do you just clean and let the seatclamp do its work, or do people use something such as Park Tool Carbon/ Alloy Assembly compound?
I have an annoying creak from the seatpost of my gravel bike so just about to remove/ clean etc, but would be interested in what people do.
( Will also check that it’s not the saddle at fault, but will start off with a clean of the seatpost.)
Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    With an aluminium frame and an aluminium seat post I would use regular grease between the items.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Grease makes things slip and slide .That is what it is made for. That is not what I want my seat post to do. Copper slip assembly paste ( or similar) is what I use. It will prevent corrosion and a stuck seat post.
  • Thank you all for your thoughts so far. What are your thoughts on something like Park Tool’s Anti- Seize Compound ASC 1 which seems to get good reviews please? Is this the most suitable?
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-anti-seize-compound-asc-1
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited August 2020
    Shouldn't be necessary for alloy in alloy is my thoughts. Just use whatever grease you have to hand. Thinner over thicker if you have the choice.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216

Thank you all for your thoughts so far. What are your thoughts on something like Park Tool’s Anti- Seize Compound ASC 1 which seems to get good reviews please? Is this the most suitable?
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-anti-seize-compound-asc-1

That is what I would use in your situation.
  • Copperslip
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Grease is the word

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Thanks all - all much appreciated! Have some time off work tomorrow and will give it a clean and application before going out for a ride
    Best wishes.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    As an aircraft technician I was taught to and still do use a PVJC (pigmented varnish jointing compound) such as Duralac on all aluminium alloy assemblies. It prevents any electrolytic corrosion from even slightly dissimilar metals and it air hardens to form a weak bond similar to thread lock. Frame material and seat pin can be dissimilar enough to cause a problem if left undisturbed for long enough (as is the case with Duralumin sheet and Hiduminium rivets).
  • Hi all and thanks Manglier for that info which I will store for future reference!
    Gave everything a really good clean yesterday and then applied the Park Tools ASC1. Went out for a 40 mile gravel ride on some pretty challenging tracks and lanes - with no creaking! Use the bike throughout the winter so will be interesting to see how well it works- although regular cleaning will be needed.