Jockey wheel replacement

prcody
prcody Posts: 67
I am changing my chain-rings, rear cassette and chain on my Ultegra 6800. Looking at changing the jockey wheels as well and just curios is there much to be gained from using a jockey wheel like the below with more teeth or should I just use the standard 6800 jockey wheels.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/kcnc-jockey-wheel-system-763161

Would I actually gain anything performance wise or would it be more of a look to have?

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Apparently they will make a modicum of difference, which you will not notice.
  • They’ll increase chain wrap, which could be advantageous, depending on how you ride.
  • It'll look different, I wouldn't say better though. You'll probably need a longer chain too.
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    I ordered the standard 6800 wheels. Doubt I would get much more out of the bigger ones seeing as I run a basic enough pair of wheels. I'd be better off spending money on better wheels and getting an improvement there.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

They’ll increase chain wrap, which could be advantageous, depending on how you ride.

In what way would 'chain wrap' ever be advantageous, Nick? Doesn't sound like you understand the term...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is this a popcorn moment.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited August 2020

They’ll increase chain wrap, which could be advantageous, depending on how you ride.

In what way would 'chain wrap' ever be advantageous, Nick? Doesn't sound like you understand the term...
    The TGC is increased as well, but here’s a nice little piece that explains the ideas behind oversized jockey wheels
    https://www.velonews.com/gear/tour-de-france-pros-are-using-oversize-rear-derailleur-pulleys-should-you/

Specifically this bit.

“Technically, it would. But when you think of how a drivetrain operates — a chain winding its way over chainrings and then around a cassette, and finally, through the serpentine pulley system of a rear derailleur — the more significant cause of friction is actually the angle the chain reaches as it wraps through the rear derailleur.
    So by opening up those angles and making them less sharp, the chain can articulate less than it would when it passes around smaller pulley wheels. Voila! Less friction”

And particularly the bit that says.
    “ the more significant cause of friction is actually the angle the chain reaches as it wraps through the rear derailleur.”

I think it’s you that may not understand what chain wrap is, or how it effects efficiency. Have a read and then come back and comment.

And from another bike forum.
    “Most derailleurs that use oversized pulley wheels are doing so to increase chain wrap with less compromise to ground clearance than a longer cage would have, because most derailleurs that use oversized pulley wheels are Shimano Altus variants”.

• They’ll increase chain wrap, which could be advantageous, depending on how you ride.

The TGC is increased as well, but here’s a nice little piece that explains the ideas behind oversized jockey wheels
    https://www.velonews.com/gear/tour-de-france-pros-are-using-oversize-rear-derailleur-pulleys-should-you/

Specifically this bit.

“Technically, it would. But when you think of how a drivetrain operates — a chain winding its way over chainrings and then around a cassette, and finally, through the serpentine pulley system of a rear derailleur — the more significant cause of friction is actually the angle the chain reaches as it wraps through the rear derailleur.
    So by opening up those angles and making them less sharp, the chain can articulate less than it would when it passes around smaller pulley wheels. Voila! Less friction”

And particularly the bit that says.
    “ the more significant cause of friction is actually the angle the chain reaches as it wraps through the rear derailleur.”

I think it’s you that may not understand what chain wrap is, or how it effects efficiency. Have a read and then come back and comment.

And from another bike forum.
    “Most derailleurs that use oversized pulley wheels are doing so to increase chain wrap with less compromise to ground clearance than a longer cage would have, because most derailleurs that use oversized pulley wheels are Shimano Altus variants”.
    Can we get this reply moved to directory of complete tools?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    edited August 2020
    It explains why a 34 tooth chainring is easier than a 50 tooth chainring.
    Less teeth, less friction, innit. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    webboo said:

Is this a popcorn moment.

Every post of milemuncher's is a popcorn monent...
  • imposter2.0
    edited August 2020

The usual 'copy n paste' nonsense from you, I see. So, two things:

1 - Can you quantify the 'advantage'? (ideally without resorting to more tedious copy n pasting).

2 - Specifically, how would any advantage depend on 'how someone rode' ?

Or, alternatively, you could spare us yet more of your incessant narcissistic drivel by going back to trolling the beginner's section on cyclechat, where you clearly belong.

• The usual 'copy n paste' nonsense from you, I see. So, two things:
    2 - Specifically, how would any advantage depend on 'how someone rode' ?

Who knows!? Maybe he thinks those who ride at high cadence will see the benefits as the chain runs through the "looser" angles (from the larger wheels) more frequently haha!?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    How many of the people scoffing at "chain wrap" (or however you want to express reduced friction from larger jockey wheels) have shelled out on ceramic bearings or aerodynamic cleats, or some other performance boost of similar magnitude?

I'm just wondering whether you are having a playground pop against gullibility per se or a specific form of it...
  • pblakeney

How many of the people scoffing at "chain wrap" (or however you want to express reduced friction from larger jockey wheels) have shelled out on ceramic bearings or aerodynamic cleats, or some other performance boost of similar magnitude?

I'm just wondering whether you are having a playground pop against gullibility per se or a specific form of it...

Nope. Not me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Nope. Not me.
    Don't you even use a dry lube?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Suppliers of equipment for any hobby would soon go bust if it weren't for the gullible.
    Cycling is no different.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Nope. Not me.
    Nope.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Nope. Not me.
    Nope.
    How can you possibly keep up on group rides?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Nope. Not me.
    Nope.
    How can you possibly keep up on group rides?
    Sit on the back, obviously. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: