Bib shorts with extra storage - Cargo or Adventure shorts if you prefer

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited July 2020 in Road buying advice
Greetings,

fancy trying a pair for the extra storage, especially those little pockets on the thigh part.

These two caught my eye, both brands I have had good experience with in terms of fit and quality.
https://wiggle.co.uk/etxeondo-exo-adventure-bib-shorts

https://wiggle.co.uk/ale-stones-cargo-bib-shorts/

Any others to consider at a similar price point?
La Passione have one, but currently full price at £115 I think.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Rapha Cargo bib shorts, the "Core" ones are £110 at the moment. I have a pair and the quality is excellent. As well as the pockets on the thighs there are two pockets on the back. I think they do other ones in their more expensive ranges too.
  • daniel_b
    i.bhamra said:

Rapha Cargo bib shorts, the "Core" ones are £110 at the moment. I have a pair and the quality is excellent. As well as the pockets on the thighs there are two pockets on the back. I think they do other ones in their more expensive ranges too.

Thankyou - had a look, but they are out of stock in every single size.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Everyone has got gravel bikes and gone bike packing I think.
  • daniel_b
    fenix said:

Everyone has got gravel bikes and gone bike packing I think.

I think you are right, there must be huge queues out on the trails!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Look at red white. they've just brought out a cargo bib..
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Wiggle do a Aeron version with pockets that are circa £90. Reviews are good and my last pair of Aeron bibs were superb..
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2020
    Thanks both, will check out those in due course, didn't realise dhb made a version.

I bought the penultimate pair of Ale shorts in small for £74 and wore them at the weekend, on a 3.5 hour ride, and they were superb - firstly the pad was really comfy, they didn't cross my mind in the entire time, and secondly the pockets were awesome.

I didn't put a huge amount in, 2 bars in one side, and a bar and cliff bloks in the other, and at first was worried they might rustle, or feel weird on my leg, but I genuinely did not notice them, and it was super easy to get to them.
    The extra bonus was that this freed up a pocket in my jersey, so I could stash my gilet in there. So much more flexibility, and as someone who feels the cold great to be able to carry extra layers, or warmers with more ease, and not have overflowing pockets.

I have to admit to thinking they may be a bit of a gimmick, but I can see them becoming the mainstream predominant style in the not too distant future.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    The aeron shorts are ok but the pocket is pretty dismal. It's lycra and not extra elasticated at the top so it's ok for gels or bars but nothing of value.

The Galibier version is excellent though, two proper sized pockets and very secure. Straps are a bit short though so YMMV if you're over 5'10 or so.
  • daniel_b

The aeron shorts are ok but the pocket is pretty dismal. It's lycra and not extra elasticated at the top so it's ok for gels or bars but nothing of value.

The Galibier version is excellent though, two proper sized pockets and very secure. Straps are a bit short though so YMMV if you're over 5'10 or so.

Interesting - is that the pro 5 liberte with the blue detailing on one leg?
    I have a short torso, so could do the job nicely - how do you find the pad and sizing?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Trust Dan to be on the case...

Those galibier do look good - I've had bits and pieces from them and they've all been good so far.

I've used Tri shorts in the past and found that the thigh pockets were pretty delicate. I think even packets of gels abraded through. So do pack the pockets carefully.

It'd probably be better if jerseys came with extra pockets tbh.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    @Dan, yes those are the ones. I'd say true to size. I have short legs and a normal torso so I'd guess you'll be grand. Size wise I can fit my iPhone 11 Pro in the pocket, and that's with a decent case on it. Feels secure but usually I just keep food and keys in them.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2020
    @fenix - you can rely on me Sir :-)

@Dan, yes those are the ones. I'd say true to size. I have short legs and a normal torso so I'd guess you'll be grand. Size wise I can fit my iPhone 11 Pro in the pocket, and that's with a decent case on it. Feels secure but usually I just keep food and keys in them.

Cool, will investigate a bit more.

I wore the Ale shorts out again on Sunday, for what turned out to be a speedy (for me) group ride of 6 - it was meant to be 17-18mph, we ended up averaging 20mph on the nose, with no stops - again the shorts were fantastic, super comfy whether on the tops, hoods or drops, and the pockets were hugely useful - actually kept my phone in one, with some cliff bloks, and a load of energy bars in the other one, the fact they were in there caused no discomfort, weird noises, or worry of items falling out, and access to my food was super easy - not that the back pockets are hard, but this is just that little bit easier.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MTB_Roadtripper
    MTB_Roadtripper Posts: 61
    edited August 2020
    +1 for the Galibier Liberte shorts.

£59 is doing themselves out of money I reckon because they are very good. The shoulder straps are a bit snug when you put them on but can't say I noticed them on the bike. Zero complaints from me.

5' 11, 83kg, 34 inch waist 42 inch chest with a bit of a Beyonce natural bootay going on. XL for me.
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • daniel_b
    Fancy a pair of these, but will wait and hopefully there will be a sale in the next few months to bring them into double figures:
    https://uk.lapassione.cc/products/cargo-bib-shorts
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18