Which new Crankset and pedals

Hi all, I'm after a bit of advise, I have a saracen mantra trail which has fsa comet modular 1 x chainset, and recently the whole thing has been clunky underfoot, stripped it back to th bb and that seemed OK. So I'm wanting to know a good budget alternative to replace the pedals and also the Crankset. Cheers

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Not sure what you mean by 'clunky' but it's more likely to be the bb rather than the chain set. There is a lot more force exerted on the bb when pedalling than you can exert by hand so bearings that feel ok when spun by hand can feel awful when pedalling.
    If you are going to change the chain set you might as well change the bb at the same time. I'd swap them out for Shimano - Deore, SLX or XT, depending on your budget.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Any Shimano products bought from Chain Reaction Cycles has a two year warranty.
  • Dean0brown1982
    Dean0brown1982 Posts: 22
    edited August 2020
    JBA said:

Not sure what you mean by 'clunky' but it's more likely to be the bb rather than the chain set. There is a lot more force exerted on the bb when pedalling than you can exert by hand so bearings that feel ok when spun by hand can feel awful when pedalling.
    If you are going to change the chain set you might as well change the bb at the same time. I'd swap them out for Shimano - Deore, SLX or XT, depending on your budget.

I was meaning clunky as in a could feel the thud of problem on the sole of my feet which made me Think It was either the chainset or the pedals, I had an issue with the drive side arm continously coming loose, and the pedals also felt really rough. Thank you for the advise and I will also change the bb at the same time
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185

Any Shimano products bought from Chain Reaction Cycles has a two year warranty.

Shimano Hollowtech II bb and crankset. Lots of good, reasonable priced pedals on C.R.C too.

I like their Nukeproof neutron/electron pedals and my last set I bought for a sale price of £22.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Hmm? If you had the crank arm coming loose then there is a good chance the splines that fit over the bb spindle have been damaged and the clunk or thud you feel when pedalling is the crank arm moving on the spindle. If it is then it will only get worse.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seconded, riding with a loose crank arm is but a short step (or is that pedal) from a mullered crank arm interface.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.