Upgrading to carbon frame advice

Currently looking to upgrade to a carbon frame, my current bike is a 10 year old Giant Defy that had served me well but I'm keen to upgrade to carbon.

I could look at another Giant Defy or buy a carbon frame and build myself. I'm aware that this could be more expensive but I like to get my hands dirty and learn how things go together.

Any advice on a carbon frame, generally for endurance rides. I've found a few online but there are generally no reviews.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you don't want scatter-gun responses then maybe a few qualifying details would help guide the respondents.

Firstly what's your budget either for the frameset or for the whole build. If the latter do you have any preconceived ideas about the groupset you want as a minimum spec.

Secondly -do you want disc brakes or are you happy with rim brakes
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Depending on the condition of your current components I'd suggest buying the best frameset you can afford and transfer the components over.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    se99paj said:

Currently looking to upgrade to a carbon frame, my current bike is a 10 year old Giant Defy that had served me well but I'm keen to upgrade to carbon.

I could look at another Giant Defy or buy a carbon frame and build myself. I'm aware that this could be more expensive but I like to get my hands dirty and learn how things go together.

Any advice on a carbon frame, generally for endurance rides. I've found a few online but there are generally no reviews.

You say 'upgrade' to a carbon frame. What are you expecting the carbon frame to give you that the alu frame currently doesn't..??