Touring/Gravel shoes

Hello! Would you guys be able to point me in the right direction for choosing a good touring shoe? Being a road racer, I am used to road cleats and securely clipping in with a large contact area, but my road shoes won’t be practical for getting off the bike and exploring. Is there a good in between? A shoe that offers good pedal grip AND good walking around?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    I used road shoes for years and have recently switched my second bike to combination SPD/Flat pedals. I use MTB shoes with recessed cleats and it works great.
  • shiz
    shiz Posts: 19
    Thanks for that Singleton. Would you say it was a worthwhile switch, or you’d say it makes no difference and I should continue with my road shoe setting?
    singleton said:

I used road shoes for years and have recently switched my second bike to combination SPD/Flat pedals. I use MTB shoes with recessed cleats and it works great.

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Shimano A600 pedals are SPD but single sided with a good platform and good bearings. they are billed as a 'touring' pedal, I use them on my road bike in combination with some carbon soled Shimano XC racing shoes.

work really well on the bike and you can walk in the shoes off it.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    although A600s look to be discontinued now, there is an es600 instead, no idea if they are any better.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Shimano RX8s look lovely if your budget will stretch.
  • shiz
    Thanks for this, Edward.S
    edward.s said:

Shimano A600 pedals are SPD but single sided with a good platform and good bearings. they are billed as a 'touring' pedal, I use them on my road bike in combination with some carbon soled Shimano XC racing shoes.

work really well on the bike and you can walk in the shoes off it.

• shiz
    that looks like a good inbetweeb. Thanks for the pointer
    mrb123 said:

Shimano RX8s look lovely if your budget will stretch.