Kinesis R1 - Cables through down tube rattling

Hi all.
Im the proud new owner of the Kinesis R1 and I love it. What I don't love though is I can hear... I assume... the cables going into the Downtube rattling when im on anything but perfectly smooth tarmac.
Does anyone else have this issue with any bikes like this? Or an R1 of your own?
i didnt build it, was built by my LBS.

Comments

• cookie56
    cookie56 Posts: 19
    I would have expected the LBS to use a churro or other such “padding” on the outer cables running down the downtube. I have them on my Roubaix
  • As per Cookie56 - something like this is likely what you'll need. I'm not familiar with the R1 but having a quick look on the Kinesis website it looks like the cable outers run through the frame. As there are no removable cable ports on the frame this will be a bit of faff to install but if you do it will remove the rattle.
    Stuffing some bubble wrap into the down tube should also alleviate the issue.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-internal-routing-anti-vibration-foam
  • djwmcnae82
    djwmcnae82 Posts: 15
    Thank you. Sorry I didn't get any notification that you're replied.
    I'll speak with my lbs and see what they say. Have emailed Kinesis as well.
  • Another option is this little trick that I’ve used on one bike for now.
    You may find that it’s only one cable outer that is causing the rattle but it could be more. By sliding the outer in and out of the frame slightly you may be able to tell.
    If you can then target the outers in question by pulling out of the frame slightly and wrapping some insulation tape around the outer at the point it entered the frame. This should add just enough tension to the outer to stop it from rattling on the frame.
  • djwmcnae82
    Well... Now I feel a bit silly. On my ride this morning I could really hear this rattle and was getting annoyed due to it being brand new etc.. however I got out of the saddle and it stopped... Sat back down and rattle rattle... Up.. stops...
    So is it the cables? The seat is tight, I stopped and checked both screws. Seat clamp tight...
    So I'm now confused as to where this sound is coming from.
  • Noises on bikes have a habit of not always being from where you think they are coming from.

It's difficult to know without hearing it first hand but it would make sense if it stops when you get out of the saddle. Can you switch the saddle to a different one to see if it goes away?
  • djwmcnae82

Noises on bikes have a habit of not always being from where you think they are coming from.

It's difficult to know without hearing it first hand but it would make sense if it stops when you get out of the saddle. Can you switch the saddle to a different one to see if it goes away?

I don't have another saddle sadly. May pop to lbs to see if can help.