Hand built wheels specs - reasonable?

Going to swap the Zuus carbon wheels I have on my best bike and instead of looking for a factory set, I’ve been in touch with Harry Rowland. The build I’m seriously thinking about is:

Bitex hubs
Kinlin XR26T/XR26TR rims, 24/28 using Sapim race and D-light spokes.
Chrome plated brass nipples

Does this sound like a better option than going for something like The cheapo Zuus wheels or Zondas? They don’t have to be bullet proof because they are for my best bike.

Thanks

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Never mind, I’ve gone for them. Only difference is aluminium nipples not brass since these won’t be used in awful winter weather. Seem like an awesome deal for the money charged. And he had them ready built so I guess hand built from stock rather than precisely matched to my needs.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    They'll serve you well
    left the forum March 2023
  • johngti
    Hoping so. First set of non- factory wheels I’ve owned
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Nice wheels. How much were they, if you don't mind me asking?
  • johngti
    £327 including delivery, so cheaper than the Zondas (that I’ve used before) and similar.
  • I’ve recently had a pair of wheels from Harry and they are absolutely brilliant. Can’t remember the exact spec but very happy with them and perform really well 👍🏻
  • johngti
    That’s good to know! I’m a little worried that I’m expecting too much!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    edited July 2020
    Harry Rowland is a wheel building legend. Considered one of the best for at least 20 years and counting.
  • johngti
    So I believe! I’ll see if my expectations have been realised tomorrow when they arrive. I’m lucky that he had a pair built and in stock I think 😀
  • johngti
    edited July 2020
    First impressions are very good. They’re light (~1500g) and spin well and the 28mm gp4000s look good on the wider rims.

My only slight disappointment is that the join in the rim is very much visible. That obviously doesn’t spoil them but it’s a negative. I’ll try to get out for a ride in the morning and give them a run.

• johngti
    Well, did a short ride this afternoon. At first I wasn’t too sure what they offered but then I noticed the acceleration they provided. Must be the tension in the spokes or something. Nice handful of PBs (according to strava) including one up a nasty little steep climb. They’re clearly stiffer as the ride is a bit harsher than on the Zuus carbon wheels but not horribly so, just feel more of the road.

So, worth it? Definitely. Especially at the price, I don’t think any alloy factory wheels at £300-400 would come close.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Sweet!