Dangerous junction apparently.

ballysmate
ballysmate Posts: 15,921
As per the title. At first glance it doesn't look too bad but does anyone know it?

https://youtu.be/SYeeTvitvFU

Comments

• Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    You've only got to watch all the cars ignoring the lines just during that 4 minute video to see why it's all going wrong there.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Yep, drivers ignoring STOP signs is always going to end badly. But I wonder how many other junctions will be similar in that vehicles approaching from side roads are always going to be approaching from behind the cyclist's view?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited July 2020
    I don't know it well, but I know of it, Ipley Cross crossroads is a lethal junction for cyclists.

Think I read there was a recent development to make it safer, after a year or more if deadlock regarding the special preservation order on the grass to the sides of the current road layout.

It seems to be a combination of vehicles not complying with the stop signs, plus the angle the roads meet, meaning a cyclist could be in the blind a-frame spit on the driver's side as they both approach the junction.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh yes that's notorious.

They either need to change it so that it's staggered so you can't go straight over or put some boards up so that drivers can't see if it's clear or not until they are at the junction.

I'd be very wary cycling past there.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    It is local to us and I ride past it quite a lot. Also used in the P164 tt course, although as a left turn, so quite safe. Apparently there is a plan to stagger it with a "land swap" from another junction. You cannot lose grazing area in the New Forest.

If they go ahead with the plan it will make the turn smoother from the tt course point of view B)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Sure I've heard of a similar crossing somewhere several years ago - unless maybe it was another article on this same one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I remember seeing a dead penguin there. No idea how it came to be there.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    oxoman said:

Similar to a crossroad near me, it's just after a lot years and lots of stupid car drivers crashing they altered it by opening it up. Did it work, 🤔 no, made it worse. Now considering an island, personally a large counterweight hanging from a crane ready to swipe stupidity out of the way might be best.

There were a couple of T junctions on the main road to the coast from here at either end of a short bypass that were perfectly fine apart from the occasional idiot/drunk.

The council decided to change it, initially to traffic lights and there were so many more crashes as a result that they changed it again about 12 months later to two roundabouts which is better than the traffic lights but still causing more accidents than the T junctions.