My 600lb life...

2»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    I used to read a lot more... now I am a bit lazy... just can;t find anything that interests me... I got too much focused on cycling... so even books became about cycling. I enjoyed the two Paul Jones that I read and a couple from Hutch...

Pathetic, I know... I should read Tolstoj and Dostojevski
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... and Camus
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Watching 600lb lardarses on telly must be the modern equivalent of Victorians going to Bedlam.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

oxoman said:

Prefer doctor pimple popper myself

Saw a clip of that on Gogglebox. First time I've watched something on TV and nearly vomited :unamused:

Gogglebox? Is that where you watch people watch tv?

Yeah I was sceptical of Gogglebox. Concept sounds rubbish but it actually works really well.

You can often find great shows to watch from seeing them on Gogglebox.
  • ugo.santalucia
    fenix said:

oxoman said:

Prefer doctor pimple popper myself

Saw a clip of that on Gogglebox. First time I've watched something on TV and nearly vomited :unamused:

Gogglebox? Is that where you watch people watch tv?

Yeah I was sceptical of Gogglebox. Concept sounds rubbish but it actually works really well.

You can often find great shows to watch from seeing them on Gogglebox.
    Some families are good, some are less so. The couple in the thatched cottage in Wiltshire are hilarious... the old couple from Liverpool who passed were lovely... the family with dogs and cake on the sofas are quite fun too...

Others are plain
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Watching 600lb lardarses on telly must be the modern equivalent of Victorians going to Bedlam.

The Wikipedia page lists all the subjects from the show who have gone on to pass away, 7 out of 110 shows. Although it explicitly states 1 was unrelated to the weightloss surgery and 1 was a suicide.

Pretty grim all round really.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Jeremy.89 said:

The Wikipedia page lists all the subjects from the show who have gone on to pass away, 7 out of 110 shows. Although it explicitly states 1 was unrelated to the weightloss surgery and 1 was a suicide.

Most of them give up half the way, as the process is too long... it takes years to lose the 400 lb they need to.

There seems to be a lot more women than men... I wonder if there is a reason (other than sexual abuse when they were children)
  • ugo.santalucia
    oxoman said:

I have a guy at my work who aspires to be like them I think. Can just about do his job. Diabetic and subject to urine infection, constantly smells OH and a butt crack you could park a Harley in.

It's easy to blame them, but most of them know no different. Obese parents, raised on junk food... an understanding that being obese is normal in the family and beyond... some manage to stay under 300lb and others spiral out of control.

None of them would be an Olympic athlete in a different body, as they don't have a drive to succeed, but all of them could have had a different outcome in different settings
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    I've not gone in a long time, but used to always go to one particular (modern) ballet company's productions here, which were utterly mesmerising to watch. Also went to see White Oak Dance Project when they toured, was not going to pass up the chance to see Baryshnikov in my lifetime. Just an extraordinary performer, even in his mid 50s then. (One of my guilty secrets is that I loved the movie White Nights too. Stupid plot, bad acting even from Helen Mirren, but Misha and Gregory Hines dancing? Awesome).

The classics (Swan Lake, Giselle etc) leave me a bit cold though.

Love small gig concerts with really talented muso's. Chanced in on a Sunday arvo impromptu at local jazz club, featuring a young bloke world-renowned as a classical acoustic guitarist. He'd ditched that for a selection of electrics, and put on an awesome show of funk/blues that no white kid in his 20s had any right to be doing so damned well. Best value gig I've ever been to. $10 on the door including one drink for 2 hours of just astonishing musical gifts.

Rather enjoyed (live) a couple of the Cirque de Soleil shows, proper escapist entertainment.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Some years back whilst touring the US of A we found ourselves in Nashville and had the chance to go to a show/recording at the Grande Ole Opre.
    One of the acts was a guy called Doyle Dykes, a guitarist from Jacksonville. Blinding!
    When I got home I googled him as I had never heard of him and lo and behold discovered he was in Birmingham (UK not Alabama).
    Saw him in a small room off Broad St. He was an ambassador for Taylor guitars and spent the evening showcasing their range. I found it fascinating, so I can only imagine how people who knew one end of a guitar from another enjoyed it.
  • Jeremy.89 said:

Most of them give up half the way, as the process is too long... it takes years to lose the 400 lb they need to.

There seems to be a lot more women than men... I wonder if there is a reason (other than sexual abuse when they were children)
    Just had a quick wiki read. Some of the weight losses are spectacular, but coupled with the short life span of those who didn't makes for sobering reading.

Not a Giro Hero!