My 600lb life...

Anyone else enjoys watching hyper obesity on channel 38?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Utterly vile, ill-disciplined, and mostly whiny human life forms. Stop the support, apart from mental health counselling and let them fend for themselves.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • ETA

Only watched a few minutes on YouTube, which was more than enough.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    There is a lot more to it and most have been abused as children... that said, my favourite bit is the skin removal surgery... seeing 30 lb of skin in one lump is quite something
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    I like the ones i have watched before where they stop losing weight just before the point where the government supplied arse wipers would be withdrawn. Shows what drives them in life.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

Enjoys? I think you need to get out more 😳
  • ugo.santalucia
    orraloon said:

In the evening? Going where?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    As per the refrain in the Sham 69 song, Hurry Up Harry...

"Hurry up Harry come on
    We're going down the pub..."? 😉
  • ugo.santalucia
    Gave up drinking before Christmas... seems pointless to go there for a lime and soda...
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Only glimpsed those sorts of programs but what intrigued me is how do they fund their food shopping?

Surely you don’t get extra benefits for being a fat bastard
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

orraloon said:

You could go to the theatre or concert with your wife. Oh sorry you don’t enjoy that sort of thing but you like watching the clinically obese on tv.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    webboo said:

orraloon said:

You could go to the theatre or concert with your wife. Oh sorry you don’t enjoy that sort of thing but you like watching the clinically obese on tv.
    I think he is in the UK
  • webboo
    I know that he cannot do these things at present but he’d rather not even when the opportunity occurs.
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

I know that he cannot do these things at present but he’d rather not even when the opportunity occurs.

In January we reluctantly bought a couple of tickets for a RSC performance at Stratford upon Avon. About 70 quid for the cheapest seats in the venue. That was due to happen in May... that's how long before you had to book.
    Luckily, lockdown meant the all thing was cancelled and I got a full refund and bought some Corsa tyres instead.

The reality is that you sit there, actors play Shakespeare and I have no idea what they are saying, like the vast majority of the audience. Some performances are better than others, but overall they are not worth the hassle and money invested.

As for cinema... aside from X-men, minions, Pixar, Lego movies there isn't a lot. Even when we browse on Netflix, there is hardly anything worth a watch... we put on a film and 5 minutes later we give up.

We managed to watch all of "Contagion" a few weeks back, it was interesting for obvious reasons, but it was a very mediocre film nonetheless. In different times, it would have lasted 5 minutes.

If you have some tip on good films on Netflix I am all ears...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    I don't have Netflix but by all accounts there are a multitude of series that would be better than anything on channel 38. No?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited July 2020
    pblakeney said:

I don't have Netflix but by all accounts there are a multitude of series that would be better than anything on channel 38. No?

We tried a few... we enjoyed some, less so others... "Dead to me" was entertaining.

As for films, the last good release was "The Irishman", although even there, it's hard not to think that I had seen that film 25 years before and it was called "The Goodfellas"
  • webboo
    I tend to watch the adventure documentaries on Net flicks. The guy trying to do an Ironman everyday, one running the Appalachian trail. I would have thought these would interest you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

webboo said:

In January we reluctantly bought a couple of tickets for a RSC performance at Stratford upon Avon. About 70 quid for the cheapest seats in the venue. That was due to happen in May... that's how long before you had to book.
    Luckily, lockdown meant the all thing was cancelled and I got a full refund and bought some Corsa tyres instead.

The reality is that you sit there, actors play Shakespeare and I have no idea what they are saying, like the vast majority of the audience. Some performances are better than others, but overall they are not worth the hassle and money invested.

As for cinema... aside from X-men, minions, Pixar, Lego movies there isn't a lot. Even when we browse on Netflix, there is hardly anything worth a watch... we put on a film and 5 minutes later we give up.

We managed to watch all of "Contagion" a few weeks back, it was interesting for obvious reasons, but it was a very mediocre film nonetheless. In different times, it would have lasted 5 minutes.

If you have some tip on good films on Netflix I am all ears...
    Not all theatre is Shakespeare. If you don't like Shakespeare (I'm with you there) booking tickets for it is a bit odd, it's been around for centuries so surely you know what to expect?

We've had two musicals we were due to see postponed which has been frustrating especially as we've been waiting a few years for one of them to tour and managed to get tickets on my birthday. The other one announced a national drive in your so we got tickets for that only for that to get cancelled because a few localised lockdowns came in. Having these postponed and a few races I'd entered cancelled together with cancelling our holiday are the only real personal negatives coming out of the restrictions so far.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The Old Guard on Netflix was enjoyable. Must be better than watching morbidly obese people.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Have been to the theatre on a few occasions, locally, and have vowed to go more but never do. Quite fancy giving Billy Shakespeare a go. There is an outdoor production at Stafford castle (not this year obv) which I quite fancy but weather is a factor.
    I hate musicals, be it on stage or on telly, with 2 exceptions. Took Mrs B to Niagara for a birthday and whilst there, saw The Jersey Boys in Toronto. Brilliant! Great songs and a proper story. Not some halfassed bullsh!t story line. The other one was Lion King - excellent production.
    Wife fancied seeing Joseph. Crock of shite, especially second half. Kid you not, I dropped off. Likewise Phantom. Couldn't believe how people raved over it. Again, a little doze. The Bodyguard was shite as well.
    My only opera was Carmen at RAH. Excellent and would recommend to anyone. As operas go, I imagine it is quite light. Certainly not Wagnerian.
    Saw Swan Lake at Manchester. I was curious to see if I would like ballet but it's not for me. I appreciate the athleticism but dance leaves me cold.
    Can't remember last time I went to the flicks. Not into super heroes or films that spend $200m on cgi and 10 bucks on a script.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    oxoman said:

Prefer doctor pimple popper myself

Saw a clip of that on Gogglebox. First time I've watched something on TV and nearly vomited :unamused:

• ballysmate
    I can appreciate the skill and athleticism of dancers but I just find it boring. My missus will watch Britains got talent or some other such dross and marvel at dancers, especially modern dance.
    I point out that if we went to a variety show, the moment dance acts come on, that is when I would have the urge to empty my bladder or go to the bar to fill it up.
  • ballysmate
    https://youtu.be/kva4UndarE8

There are street dancers in this clip but certainly take second billing.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited July 2020
    Musicals are not for me. I think it's all contrived, happy-clappy bullsh1t.

Theatre is another matter. We've been watching National Theatre Live on their YouTube channe and making donations. Shakespeare is great, but it does depend which play and which production/cast.

One particular NTL that we watched was The Madness of George III (Alan Bennett) and Mark Gatiss as King George was an absolute delight.

Quite like seeing The Nutcracker at Christmas, as well.

(don't have a TV so can't add any insight on channel 38)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ballysmate

oxoman said:

Saw a clip of that on Gogglebox. First time I've watched something on TV and nearly vomited :unamused:

Gogglebox? Is that where you watch people watch tv?

"Ever had the feeling you've been cheated?" - Johnny Rotten.
  • Pross
    For those who generally don't like musicals I would say Avenue Q or Book of Mormon are still good bets. I've never cried with laughter as much as I did watching Avenue Q and Book of Mormon is written by Trey Parker of South Park fame, the lyrics aren't exactly Lloyd Webber!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131

oxoman said:

Gogglebox? Is that where you watch people watch tv?

"Ever had the feeling you've been cheated?" - Johnny Rotten.
    I used to think that, but there's a family on there with three rottweilers who are all over them - Dave the dog is an absolute star.

• Pross

I can appreciate the skill and athleticism of dancers but I just find it boring. My missus will watch Britains got talent or some other such dross and marvel at dancers, especially modern dance.
    I point out that if we went to a variety show, the moment dance acts come on, that is when I would have the urge to empty my bladder or go to the bar to fill it up.

I struggle with dance too. I took the wife to see Swan Lake on an anniversary break to Prague, it was visually stunning and I enjoyed listening to the score but couldn't really 'interpret' the movement even though, as you said, I appreciated the physicality.
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

I tend to watch the adventure documentaries on Net flicks. The guy trying to do an Ironman everyday, one running the Appalachian trail. I would have thought these would interest you.

but not my wife
  • ugo.santalucia
    One thing you need to remember is that these junk series are free to watch, they're the kind of bread and butter... you can't go out on a performance every night, even if you enjoyed them.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you can't really compare something that you can put on by pressing a 3 and an 8 on a remote control with something you have to book weeks in advance, pay a small fortune for and drive or bus to.

They are just different things altogether... the latter is an "occasion".

If we had a good independent cinema, we would probably go occasionally. The idea of going to the Odeon to see the last Marvel release fills me with dread... I'd rather look at the cracks between the fat of a 700 lb monster for free at home
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

One thing you need to remember is that these junk series are free to watch, they're the kind of bread and butter... you can't go out on a performance every night, even if you enjoyed them.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you can't really compare something that you can put on by pressing a 3 and an 8 on a remote control with something you have to book weeks in advance, pay a small fortune for and drive or bus to.

They are just different things altogether... the latter is an "occasion".

If we had a good independent cinema, we would probably go occasionally. The idea of going to the Odeon to see the last Marvel release fills me with dread... I'd rather look at the cracks between the fat of a 700 lb monster for free at home

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/