ineos Self isolation after return

david37
david37 Posts: 1,313
So will this affect the teams season now the UK Govt says isolation required after return from Spain or will they simply not come back to the UK?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited July 2020
    david37 said:

So will this affect the teams season now the UK Govt says isolation required after return from Spain or will they simply not come back to the UK?

Why would they come back to the UK? I don't think any of them live there. Maybe Luke Rowe. We've got races starting next week
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Will someone PLEASE think of the Tour of Britain!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Local race for local people.
    😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    RichN95. said:

david37 said:

Why would they come back to the UK? I don't think any of them live there. Maybe Luke Rowe. We've got races starting next week
    In any case, were there a problem, take any European mainland bound flight and then a connection.
    Given the government obviously haven't given this decision much thought if any, they can't possibly have considered this obvious loophole.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834

RichN95. said:

david37 said:

In any case, were there a problem, take any European mainland bound flight and then a connection.
    Given the government obviously haven't given this decision much thought if any, they can't possibly have considered this obvious loophole.
    You mean like Boris' dad heading out to his Greek villa last month from the UK via Bulgaria?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Can’t see any of the U.K. riders being ‘home’ before end of season now unless injured.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    38 Italian riders, including Davide Rebellin and Andrea Guardini, now have to quarantine for 14 days, if they plan to return home, from the Sibiu tour in Romania.
    The Italian government imposed the new rule on Friday.
    Means they can't compete in the following:
    Strade Bianche (1.UWT) on August 1, Gran Trittico Lombardo (1.Pro) on August 3, Milano-Torino (1.Pro) on August 5 and Milan-San Remo (1.UWT) on August 8.

Big name riders from Bora also effected and means no Milan-San Remo for Pascal Ackermann, for instance.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I can't believe Rebellin is still racing... what a legend!
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited July 2020
    Do the new rules in Italy make any concessions for athletes like in the uk? - The govt have confirmed that sporting teams coming in to /back to the uk are exempt from quarantine provided they stay in the teams bubble.
  • blazing_saddles
    redvision said:

Do the new rules in Italy make any concessions for athletes like in the uk? - The govt have confirmed that sporting teams coming in to /back to the uk are exempt from quarantine provided they stay in the teams bubble.

Doesn't look like it.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italy-imposes-14-day-quarantine-for-athletes-returning-from-romania/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    ddraver said:

Will someone PLEASE think of the Tour of Britain!!

The one Mick Bennett called off way back in May you mean?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/sibiu-tour-riders-blocked-from-racing-strade-bianche-milan-san-remo/

Adds some more detail. I can see some of these smaller races meaning the bigger ones don't happen now.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    Today I saw the first of what will be many of an new genre. Journalists going to bike races just to report on restrictions and whether they are good enough. Swanning around like they own the place (and not reporting on the actual race). This will escalate as hacks try to see how many protocols they can break and how many areas they can get into.
  • blazing_saddles
    redvision said:

Nice to know it's not only our government that can perform U turns faster than a speeding bullet..
    Riders returning from Sibiu are now exempt and can race on Saturday.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-quarantine-for-bardiani-csf-faizane-riders-returning-from-sibiu-tour/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95. said:

david37 said:

It's not just the cyclists though. My old club mate is a soigneur for Ineos and still lives in South Wales. I think he is due back today after being in Tenerife with them for the last couple of weeks.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

david37 said:

It's not just the cyclists though. My old club mate is a soigneur for Ineos and still lives in South Wales. I think he is due back today after being in Tenerife with them for the last couple of weeks.

I would have expected them to be going on to the races as well. There's three of them in the next week. Obviously not with your mate.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

david37 said:

I would have expected them to be going on to the races as well. There's three of them in the next week. Obviously not with your mate.
    He's home now until the Tour I think he said. The bigger problem would be if we had a new spike over here that prevented him getting back to the continent I suppose.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    Ineos just lost their first rider of the season.
    Seb Henao down and very definitely out.

Not sure about the reason, but Alex Dowsett could have fallen foul of the FOA for Spain, as he failed to take the start....

...........Alex Dowsett has been forced to pulled out of the Vuelta a Burgos after a team-mate tested positive for coronavirus.

No direct contact though and apparently his clear.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

Not sure about the reason, but Alex Dowsett could have fallen foul of the FOA for Spain, as he failed to take the start....

...........Alex Dowsett has been forced to pulled out of the Vuelta a Burgos after a team-mate tested positive for coronavirus.

I imagine he has to be extra cautious given his haemophilia.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

I imagine he has to be extra cautious given his haemophilia.
    Might not be a disadvantage as the danger seems to come from blood clots.
  • nickice
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

david37 said:

He's home now until the Tour I think he said. The bigger problem would be if we had a new spike over here that prevented him getting back to the continent I suppose.
    I think if we get back to the stage where people are restricted from travelling, there will be no Tour.
  • RichN95.
    nickice said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

david37 said:

I think if we get back to the stage where people are restricted from travelling, there will be no Tour.

They say some people see a glass as half empty and others as half full. You on on the other hand just see a future puddle on the floor
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    https://www.velonews.com/news/road/uae-team-emirates-pulls-three-riders-from-burgos-amid-covid-19-scare/

Posted in the other thread but probably more relevant here. Second Covid scare in 2 days, UAE-Team Emirates pulls 3 riders who recently had contact with someone who turned out to have Coronavirus yesterday.

It doesn't really bode well does it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Looking at what has happened with the Miami Marlins baseball team, they've all got to be very careful - and also sport where the participants aren't all in a bubble doesn't work in a place with high infection rates. Obviously.
  • nickice
    RichN95. said:

nickice said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

david37 said:

They say some people see a glass as half empty and others as half full. You on on the other hand just see a future puddle on the floor
    If it were up to me, I'd let it go ahead. I'm just basing it on the ridiculous restriction France has until recently. Expect the worst, hope for the best.
  • blazing_saddles

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/uae-team-emirates-pulls-three-riders-from-burgos-amid-covid-19-scare/

Posted in the other thread but probably more relevant here. Second Covid scare in 2 days, UAE-Team Emirates pulls 3 riders who recently had contact with someone who turned out to have Coronavirus yesterday.

It doesn't really bode well does it.

I'm not sure what to make of it, given that all 3 riders were Colombian and if they were on that "mercy" flight, it was exactly 2 weeks ago.

Burgos itself has pretty low infection levels.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    The plane flights are the risky part I imagine .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Leonardo Basso positive for Covid-19. Moscon, Ganna, Puccio to self-isolate for two weeks.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    DeadCalm said:

Leonardo Basso positive for Covid-19. Moscon, Ganna, Puccio to self-isolate for two weeks.

Blimey! Never has it been so important to be wearing the maillot jaune.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020

DeadCalm said:

Blimey! Never has it been so important to be wearing the maillot jaune.
    Only if it's 3 ply.