orbea laufey h10 2020 or Ribble HT 725

Hello all,
I had a little go of mountain biking a good few years ago on a voodoo hoodoo 26” hardtail and loved it but had to pack it in due to work commitments.
Now I’m in a position to get a bike on the cycle to work scheme so I thought I’d get a half decent modern geometry hardtail.
Orbea has an ally frame, marzzocchi bomber Z2 140mm forks, slx gearset, Deore brakes, dropper post and 29” wheels priced at £1399.

The Ribble is steel framed 27.5”, revelation 150mm forks, SRAM nx gearset, level t brakes priced at £1500.

Never rode a steel frame, never rode with 27.5” or 29” wheels either.

I’m 6ft 3 and 19 stone ????

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited July 2020
    I have been looking at 29er hard tails recently and really like the look of the Laufey. I'm a fan of Shimano kit though so haven't really looked in to the Ribble.

Once we can return to some semblance of normality a Laufey H-LTD will be high on my list of potential new bikes.
    The biggest problem at the moment though is supply and availability of bikes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • bigomlet
    bigomlet Posts: 3
    I’ve only rode Bikes with Shimano kit on so not sure on the sram components.
    I’m just waiting on an e mail from a LBS as you can pre order a Laufey but not sure on the wait.
    The Ribble will be dispatched on the 15th September.
    I’m sure the Ribble will be a smoother ride but the Laufey May be faster and a better climber ??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SRAM NX is not proving super reliable, also the Ribble is very slack at 64deg HA, the Orbea (65.5) of those two looks better for more general riding to me, the Ribble will not be a comfortable climber with that HA.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Will you be using it to cycle to work on the road?
  • Won’t really be using it on the roads... I’m leaning towards the Orbea. The bigger wheels, Shimano over SRAM and a dropper post 👍🏼