Recommend me some wheels please

Just bought a second hand Whyte T130, the rear wheel was buckled when delivered and I've tried to true it the best I can but it's ready for the scrap heap.
So being a roadie I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for wheels wise.
I'm after:
650b
Tubeless
10 speed (that can be used for 12 speed if I upgrade)
6 bolt disc
Bolt though axles
£200-250

Any ideas?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boost or non boost? I believe they are boost....

If so these are a darn good set for sub £300
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-arch-s1-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod163025

Or these for a bit cheaper
    https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/essential-wtb-v3-wheelset-tubeless-ready.htm

12 speed will need a new freehub, so ideally you buy a wheel with ready availability of freehubs (or be prepared to limit yourself to 11 which uses the same freehub as a 10speed).

Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2020

12 speed will need a new freehub, so ideally you buy a wheel with ready availability of freehubs (or be prepared to limit yourself to 11 which uses the same freehub as a 10speed).

With the exception of Sram SX or NX Eagle and SunRace Csmz90 12 speed cassettes which are compatible with standard Shimano freehubs.

• The Rookie
    edited July 2020
    Indeed, but they are compromised by the smallest cog and give no real benefit over an 11 (wide range) but carry the downsides of a 12. Great to clam you have 12 speeds but otherwise pretty much pointless IMO.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Agree with The Rookie. 11 speed is perfectly fine for 1x drivetrains and don't see the point of huge 50ish tooth cogs and associated 'downsides' that you get with 12 speed set ups.
  • The Rookie
    edited July 2020
    You can have an 11:50 in 11 speed (though 11:46 is more usual), but you have the more robust chain, cheaper components of 11 speed and less 'picky' shifting quality of the 12. All on a standard freehub.
  • I bought some Mavic XA pro Carbons for my 29er earlier this year. They are available in 650b as well , but a fair whack over your stated budget. However they do have a very clever freehub system, which can be adjusted from 135mm right up to super boost, using little magnetically attached adaptors. The freehub is very clever as well, as it’s attatched magnetically too, which means it’s a 5 second job to swap cassettes ( you just put a pre prepared different freehub with a cassette already fixed on ). They are surprisingly good considering they are Mavics, and should a set come up on the used market, I’d say they were worth looking at.
  • The Rookie

However they do have a very clever freehub system, which can be adjusted from 135mm right up to super boost, using little magnetically attached adaptors.

Not according to Mavic they can't.

And I can't see how you move the freehub and disc mountings....

And 4 times his budget anyway?
  • graememac
    graememac Posts: 4
    Thanks for the responses all. The bike is a 2015 so non boost. I ended up ordering some dt swiss m 1900 wheels which I hope will be decent. Sticking with 10 speed for now, but will upgrade to 11 in the future.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Ive just bought some Ritchey trail 40 £347 if you sign up to the website, were 599 euro, seem very nice!
  • The Rookie
    The DT swiss 1900 are a good solid wheelset for the price.