Replacement for Suntour XCM-D 36/22t crankset

Hi

I have a Diamondback Hydra 1.0 with Suntour XCM-D 2 x 10 36/22t 175mm crankset (octalink BB). The non-drive LH crank comes lose and I think the teeth on the crank have been worn down. I could do to replace it but it appears impossible to get a replacement crank arm or an alternative in the UK due to it being octalink. Also can't replace the whole crankset like for like as they are unavailable in the UK.

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement set-up? It is a standard 68/73 bottom bracket fitting, with chainline 48.7mm I think (I don't have the manual). The rear cassette is 11-36. I am a novice with bikes so don't really know how much I can move away from the current set-up (in terms of chainring sizes etc) without causing problems. Don't really want to spend a fortune as the bike is probably not worth investing loads of cash in.

LBS recommended replacing with standard square taper, but doesn't seem anything obvious on market. Only possible options I can find are Deore M617/627, converting to Hollowtech II BB, which could be done for c£80 I think.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just change to HT II but make sure there is no paint on the ends of the bottom bracket shell to ensure a flush fitting.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2020
    This is the same 22/36 chainring sized combo, Hollowtech II type bb and 9 speed crankset bundle on sale and in stock for £30 at Decathlon and will work fine with the rest of your 10 speed drivetrain.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/chainset-double-9s-36-22-altus-id_8538594.html#

I've run a 9 speed crankset with 10 speed cassette, chain, shifters etc. together in the past and all worked very well without issues.