Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Me thinks that ultimately, Thebigbean is bored.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    pinno said:

Me thinks that ultimately, Thebigbean is bored.

Undoubtedly, I need to get out more.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    I popped into the local Halfords today to get some chain cleaner, just about out and need to sort out #1 daughter's filthy bike. I have never seen a bike shop so empty. There were a couple of customers there getting bikes wheeled out from the back, been ordered online for collection. Bar that there was approx one pink kids' bike on the racks. Staff member said to me, "yeah it's been mental".
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    orraloon said:

I popped into the local Halfords today to get some chain cleaner, just about out and need to sort out #1 daughter's filthy bike. I have never seen a bike shop so empty. There were a couple of customers there getting bikes wheeled out from the back, been ordered online for collection. Bar that there was approx one pink kids' bike on the racks. Staff member said to me, "yeah it's been mental".

Even the usual online places are very low on stock of all kinds of stuff they usually can’t even flog with huge discounts. I’m browsing for bits to build wheels, and finding spokes, nipples and hubs is near impossible.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    Where can I get this years SSOIS Miogee Cycling Team (CT) team jersey? Love that Burgundy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    orraloon said:

There was a bike shop on the news recently saying they are running low on essential parts for maintenance (chains etc.) and that they are being told it could be a year before they get supplies.

I was in Halfords to pick up a turbo trainer the day before the lockdown officially started and while I was waiting for it to be brought out to me they shifted 3 or 4 brand new bikes. I'm finding myself having to dodge the new cyclists (adult and child) if I try to run on my usual routes on the local footway / cycleway and canal to the extent I now try to only run on local country lanes instead (or on fields which isn't fun with hayfever!).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    edited July 2020
    Can anyone explain how the photo in the report below ties in with the text?
    I am baffled as to how there is a photo of investigators at the scene when the driver allegedly fled the scene, in the car. 🧐

Unless he crashed it into another bike in his drive. 🤣🤣🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    When I were a lad, houses had back yards. When did back yards become patios? Or for the really pretentious, terraces?
    Likewise, conservatories being described as orangeries?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    pblakeney said:

I am baffled as to how there is a photo of investigators at the scene when the driver allegedly fled the scene, in the car. 🧐

I guess they stuck the bike into the dent in the front of the car when they found it to prove it fitted so was the car involved.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164

When I were a lad, houses had back yards. When did back yards become patios? Or for the really pretentious, terraces?

Also, when did cookers become Rangemasters?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    edited July 2020

pblakeney said:

I guess they stuck the bike into the dent in the front of the car when they found it to prove it fitted so was the car involved.
    He could have driven he car with the bike embedded into the front, only 1km it said, and then fled . I don't know how the chap riding the bike was dragged though, buy he could easily have been thrown over the car and caught on something on the back of it.

OR, they had no pics at all of that accident, and this is just some stock photo of a sports car that's hit a bike :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    Stevo_666 said:

Also, when did cookers become Rangemasters?
    isn't that just a brand of cooker?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    capt_slog said:

pblakeney said:

He could have driven he car with the bike embedded into the front, only 1km it said, and then fled . I don't know how the chap riding the bike was dragged though, buy he could easily have been thrown over the car and caught on something on the back of it.

OR, they had no pics at all of that accident, and this is just some stock photo of a sports car that'censored a bike :)
    New queries then.
    How many grey Ferraris have fucked a bike?
    Why buy a grey Ferrari?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    pblakeney said:

capt_slog said:

pblakeney said:

OR, they had no pics at all of that accident, and this is just some stock photo of a sports car that'censored a bike :)
    New queries then.
    How many grey Ferraris have censored a bike?
    Why buy a grey Ferrari?
    Also, why buy a Ferrari if you can’t drive for sh!t?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
  • ballysmate
    Why buy a Ferrari?
  • ballysmate
    I certainly remember the, sadly absent, supercar expert VTech telling us that Ferraris disintegrate in collisions of 38mph.
  • capt_slog

I certainly remember the, sadly absent, supercar expert VTech telling us that Ferraris disintegrate in collisions of 38mph.

But only if they were tuned and he knew where they lived.

• pinno
    The reality is that if Vtech tuned them, they would disintegrate at 38mph.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    pinno said:

The reality is that if Vtech tuned them, they would disintegrate at 38mph.

Just as well he couldn't.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    When you have an new tab in Chrome there is an empty bar for you to type in an address (or the "search" *). There's a flashing long cursor on the left near the google G icon, but as soon as you start to type, it jumps about two spaces to the right to put in your first character. Why?

*Secondly, why is there a box in the middle of the screen for us to type in our search when it's not needed, because if you start to use it, the text appears at the top?

• Pross

pblakeney said:

Almost certainly this given the motorbike in the photo appears completely undamaged (my first thought on looking at the photo was 'how did a car get so badly damaged when the bike is completely unscathed?').
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    That it is 33 1/3 years (geddit?) since the release of Prince's 'Sign of the Times' album 😳

6Music playing it in its entirety.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Why DJ's (of the Ibiza type) are so famous.
    I'm not denying there must be a skill involved to both seamlessly blend from track to track and read a room but ultimately, you're just playing someone elses music. I'd imagine literally thousands of dance music fans could do a similar job in blind tests. Especially when a significant proportion of the audience are off their tits.
  • Pross
    Harsh, some of them do way more than that like shamelessly steal a beautiful piece of classical music like, for example, Barber's Adagio for Strings then synthesise it, change the tempo and pass it off as their artistic work.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Wife's cousin is married to a DJ and manages him and a few other acts. They get paid absolute f.uckloads of money and get flown around the world to various nightclubs and festivals. It leaves me cold if I'm honest. Maybe a bucket load of ecstasy helps?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    morstar said:

Why DJ's (of the Ibiza type) are so famous.
    I'm not denying there must be a skill involved to both seamlessly blend from track to track and read a room but ultimately, you're just playing someone elses music. I'd imagine literally thousands of dance music fans could do a similar job in blind tests. Especially when a significant proportion of the audience are off their tits.

Dance music is super basic so it’s pretty tough to make sound interesting.

I love it and there is a world of difference between a home made effort and an international banger.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

A terrace is some wood above a patio.

An orangery is a long thin conservatory. You can only have one of these if your house has a wing.

Sun rooms confuse me. Is this a conservatory with a roof or a carpeted conservatory? Or merely a conservatory that doesn't leak?

Intriguing.
  • When I were a lad, houses had back yards. When did back yards become patios? Or for the really pretentious, terraces?

A terrace is some wood above a patio.

An orangery is a long thin conservatory. You can only have one of these if your house has a wing.

Sun rooms confuse me. Is this a conservatory with a roof or a carpeted conservatory? Or merely a conservatory that doesn't leak?

Intriguing.
    In case any body is interested there is a legal planning difference between conservatory and orangery. Legally a conservatory must be too hot to be useable for 25 weeks of the year and 25 when it is too cold.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Conservatories are like ensuite bathrooms... a bit mock Tudor.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/