Sealant Refill Problem

Trying to refill my sealant from a 2oz bottle
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCy64sgLk4E)
Deflate tire, remove valve core.

But when I tried to squeeze in the sealant once I remove the bottle it all came flooding back out. I don't know if there was some kind of suction from the bottle or what but I've tried two bottles and just can't get the stuff to stay in!
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    At a guess the existing sealant in your tyre has gone off, or at least some of it has in the valve area. I stick an old spoke down there to poke a hole through any gunk before putting sealant in.
  • shortfall said:

At a guess the existing sealant in your tyre has gone off, or at least some of it has in the valve area. I stick an old spoke down there to poke a hole through any gunk before putting sealant in.

Thanks will try this.
    Though it seemed like plenty was flowing in rather than a blockage. The bottle emptied but them so did the tube once I removed the bottle.
    Ordered a syringe with a pipe so hopeful will have more success with that.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Yeah I use a syringe and tbh a bit usually escapes even when I use that rather than the bottle method. Just stick the valve back in sharpish and it'll keep most of it inside.
  • wobblebob
    wobblebob Posts: 73
    I always rotate the wheel 45° or so before removing the syringe/bottle so the sealant isn't pooled directly below the valve and force some air through the valve by pumping the syringe/bottle like in the video. Still get a little bit coming back out, but not enough to worry about
  • s_j_pwmb
    s_j_pwmb Posts: 75
    As wobblebob says, rotate the tyre before adding/removing the bottle.

I also tend to add sealant with the bike on the ground so the tyre is partially flattened, then lift the wheel off the ground so the tyre expands before removing the bottle.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    wobblebob said:

I always rotate the wheel 45° or so before removing the syringe/bottle so the sealant isn't pooled directly below the valve and force some air through the valve by pumping the syringe/bottle like in the video. Still get a little bit coming back out, but not enough to worry about

This.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.