S*** small races - Post Lockdown 2020

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Timers talking about Salvatore Commesso.
    Must be trying to make up for the lack of commentators or to try and drown out the hammering rain.
    Motorbike crash last week.
    This season is definitely cursed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Some querying earlier whether this prologue was long enough.

Looks to be now... 2 min+ gaps over 2.5km!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Loving the water feature splitting the finishing straight in half.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    There was a perverse joy in watching Nessler here very much cycling like he was cycling to the shops whilst nursing a massive hangover.

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    What an advert for the new 'season'

But - actual racing. With added water.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Definitely looking drier again now, for what it's worth.
  • blazing_saddles
    Cobblies drying up
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm scared for the cameraman. Pilot was on the pavement dodging spectators and going through archways before. Crazy.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Annemiek Van Vleuten picking up where she left off, she's 2 for 2 in races competed in and won so far this season.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    fenix said:

I'm scared for the cameraman. Pilot was on the pavement dodging spectators and going through archways before. Crazy.

At one point I swear one of the motos bunny hopped a kerb on a corner.

Quite enjoyed seeing some cycling again though - I know that faintly farcical short prologues are kind of my thing, but even in that context it was nice to just watch some cycling going on. What really made me feel good was seeing a few of the guys on the ramp looking at the camera and then making a gesture towards the sky as if to say "what the hell are any of us doing here?" - that kind of felt like the essential spirit of cycling and the connection between riders and fans was still there.

YMMV, obvs.
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks like an early start and finish for the Queen stage. That link is due to start in 20 minutes. The big climb should start about 11-30BST, I guess.

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    I saw the finish is on the Transfargarian HIghway, which fans of Top Gear may remember was a lovely looking road
  • blazing_saddles

I saw the finish is on the Transfargarian HIghway, which fans of Top Gear may remember was a lovely looking road

Just came to post the same. An impressive road if ever there was one.
    It's a lovely morning in rural Romania.
    Great to see a peloton again.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    edited July 2020
    Just put on the live stream to be greeted with the peloton passing a parked truck at the top of a small climb

Also helmet numbers like a crit is funny
  • andyp
    Van Vleuten 3 for 3 now, she won again today. Went clear with Longo-Borghini with 45 kms to go, then dropped her on the final climb.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    She is riding like how I imagine Mercx was. No real need for tactics. She is just so much stronger that she can attack from 40-50 km out and no one can stay with her.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    edited July 2020
    There's some real life bike racing on in Spain and all anyone is interested in is speculating about the calendar.

Gaviria won stage 2 in Burgos after Grosschartner won the first stage and leads overall. Mark Cavendish didn't place in the state 2 sprint. Does anyone know if he's even trying to sprint yet?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    gsk82 said:

There's some real life bike racing on in Spain and all anyone is interested in is speculating about the calendar.

Gaviria won stage 2 in Burgos Street Grosschartner won the first stage and leads overall. Mark Cavendish didn't place in the state 2 sprint. Does anyone know if he's even trying to sprint yet?

The final km can be seen here and may or may not explain why Cav didn't sprint.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/43096

One of two big finishes today, where the climbers come out to play.

• blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    Bora plus Carapaz and Ganna are chasing down the breakaway. Sosa got dropped
    Everybody else all over the place. There about a dozen pieces as the wind blows....
  • gsk82
    Evenepoel wiped the floor with everyone in Burgos.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    gsk82 said:

Valverde well over 2 minutes down. Is it the end?

Ineos very poor in the end.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

This is their Giro squad though. That's two months away, and a backloaded route too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82

gsk82 said:

With all the talent in their squad, I think it's poor to be relying on Carapaz for the Giro. I'm not convinced he's any more than a top 5 rider in a half decent field.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited July 2020
    gsk82 said:

gsk82 said:

With all the talent in their squad, I think it's poor to be relying on Carapaz for the Giro. I'm not convinced he's any more than a top 5 rider in a half decent field.
    For someone with 2450 posts under their belt that is a very dumb statement - he won the giro last year!
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • andyp
    gsk82 said:

gsk82 said:

Tough crowd.

He's been fourth and first in the Giro, beaten by two GT winners in the first, and beat three previous GT winners in the second. I don't see how anyone can doubt his talent and he clearly has a winner's mentality.
  • gsk82
    josame said:

gsk82 said:

gsk82 said:

For someone with 2450 posts under their belt that is a very dumb statement - he won the giro last year!
    I know he did. But he won it by not been considered a threat among a weak field. I guess the point I'm making is that sending your top 3 riders to the same race is stupid.
  • josame
    edited July 2020
    Nibali, Landa, Roglic, Yates - yep that's some 'weak' riders right there people - I have a shovel you can borrow but you seem to be doing fine
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • gsk82
    josame said:

Nibali, Landa, Roglic, Yates - yep that's some 'weak' riders right there people - I have a shovel you can borrow but you seem to be doing fine

Roglic was far from his best, Landa was a teammate, Yates was miles off the pace, the fact you mentioned Nibali shows how weak it was.
  • josame
    edited July 2020
    'top 5 rider in a half decent field'
    Your words. He came 1st in a more than half decent field - stop digging
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    edited July 2020
    Evenepoel holy moly

I feel like the new generation know how to train so much better than previous.

None of this racing into shape malarkey anymore.