Ischial Tuberosity Pain

Hi guys,
New to the forum and fairly new to cycling... I'm not clocking up a lot of miles but...

My sit bones (ischial tuberosities or the boney bits that hit the saddle) hurt so much I can only tolerate up to about 15 miles. I have invested in a pair of Chapeau bib shorts (https://www.chapeau.cc/chapeau-mens-club-ii-bibshorts-carbon-grey.html) to help but I'm having to double up with another cheaper pair as well.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Possibly wrong saddle, wrong shorts, wrong position, or a combination of all three. Alternatively, if you are new to cycling (in the sense that you haven't ridden a bike for any considerable time previously), then you might just need time to adjust. Give it another 10-15 hours in the saddle and re-assess...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    When I first started I could only do similar to you, so I just kept adding a few miles each time. Then after a while I didn’t feel bruised anymore. However if I have more that a couple of weeks off the bike I start to get the bruised bum bones feeling.
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    Does it only hurt when on the bike? I had Ischial Tuberosity issues a couple years ago from running. Basically small tears in the attachment of the hamstrings to the pelvis if I remember what the doctor told me. It’s common in runners with tight hamstrings. No relief other than rest and recover about 6 months. Stretching only aggravates it. If it only hurts when on the bike more likely saddle issue.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Impossible to tell without at least a photo of you on the bike.