DT Swiss star ratchet upgrade possible?

My friend has DT Swiss X-1900 spline 3 pawl hub and is asking me about a star ratchet upgrade.

Looked it up and apparently it's not possible to do because the hub shell design is different and can't be fitted with any ratchet system according to DT hub identification clip I saw on YouTube?

1) Is there a way to make it work?
2) If not, why isn't it doable with current hub and axle etc?
3) If it is what parts and tools would be required?

Seems like the only difference between the two types is the freehub and a couple of spacers for the star ratchet rings rather than the hub itself.

Any thoughts, opinions and input is welcomed. Thanks! 👍

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1/ No
    2/ As the part of the hub the ratchet drive engages with isn't there on your hub body
    3/ A new hub laced into the wheel, if the flanges are the same you could use the same spokes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2020

1/ No
    2/ As the part of the hub the ratchet drive engages with isn't there on your hub body

Thanks for the reply. So the in-board star ratchet doesn't sit inside and lock into the already fitted pawl drive ring?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    It *might* be possible.

The pawls engage with a ring nut like this: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/dt-swiss-external-screw-thread-ring-nut-for-3pawl-hubs-m34-x-1mm-hbdt826/

The ratchet hubs engage with a ring nut like this: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/dt-swiss-external-screw-thread-ring-nut-for-v1-340540-ratchet-hubs-m34-x-1mm-hbdt818/

The threads are the same spec, but you won't find any documentation from DT Swiss telling you if this will actually work. It seems that not all hubs have a removable ring nut anyway, and the tools for removing the pawl ring nut and installing the ratchet ring nut are £60 each. The only way to know if this would actually work would be to pay at least a couple of hundred quid for parts and tools and try it, or find an LBS which already has the tools and is willing to experiment.

Long story short, I wouldn't bother.
  • reaperactual
    Nice one whyamihere!👍
    I suppose it's expected that DT won't shout about the possibility.

I have little knowledge of DT hubs and never even knew if a drive ring could be screw in, assumed they were press fit or impossible to change.

Your links showed me exactly what I thought would be the case, would have been too easy for the pawl tooth profile to fit straight onto the star ratchet otherwise everyone would do it.

My friend is curious about this and in turn made me curious also but don't think he is curious enough to spend that kind of money to prove it works or not!

Will suggest he just buys a new suitable DT Swiss hub or wheel if he wants to proceed. Thanks again for your input Mate. 😎👍

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I must admit, it's made me curious... I already have DT Swiss hubs with both systems, if I can find/borrow the tools for little money I might try it just to see if it can be done.
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020
    I likewise would be interested to see if it could work, the possibility itself seems worth looking into. 🤔

I do admire the simple elegance of this ratchet system and assume it's reliable, strong and performs well. I may have to invest in some DT's in the future. 😎