Travel.....??

As per my previous thread I’m looking for a new bike, dipping my toe in to full suspension. Currently ride a SC Chameleon with 150mm folks.

I had in my head I wanted a bike with about 150 / 160

However just been to look at some bikes and the very knowledgable guy in the shops advised my I’d be over bikes about should stick to 130 (given we are taking 20 / 30mm) and offered up an extremely nice Cannondale with 130 habit I believe.

Got me thinking am I looking for to much travel or does it not make much difference

My riding ranges from a quick blast around the local single track, to all days out, up and down type stuff. To bike parks. So little bit of everything. I’m not a big jumper

I also sat on a 5010 and a Bronson in another shop and they recommended what I was looking at with the 150/160 type bikes.

Just wondered what you lovely people thought

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I went from a 100mm full suss (Giant Anthem X2) to a 150mm All Mountain (Kona Dawg), to a 140mm trail bike (Norco Sight) to an aggressive trail bike 130mm (Whyte T130), and a 160mm Enduro bike (YT Capra).

Of all of those, my undoubted favourite and deffo the best all round bike for fun was the 130mm Whyte T130. That bike felt like the suspension was bottomless and punched way above its weight. I could ride that bike anywhere.

The message is that it is not the suspension travel alone that makes a good bike. It is the geometry, the stiffness, the set up of the suspension, the wheels&tyres, and finally the components that make the difference.

From the description of what you want to do, 150 to 160 travel is more than you need. What is wrong with "more", I hear you ask. Well more travel comes with more weight, more slackness on the head angle and more effort required uphill and climbing. Be honest with yourself about what you want to do with the bike and buy appropriately Read the reviews for the bikes you are looking at and what they are best at. The Cannondale Habit (130mm) is a very good bike and should suit your stated riding very well. But there are others, many others. equally suitable if you can find one. Sadly you may have trouble right now finding ones you want to actually sit on, let alone test ride. The bike shops have had a good lockdown and stocks are very low indeed.
  • Thank you for the input. I’m glad you mentioned wheel size as that is another done of contention. I need to test a few more bikes on that front

The habit was a beautiful bike. It was actually a demo / staff bike and had a number of upgrades, including a coil rear shock. Also had 29 wheels, I am lead to believe it can run either 27.5 or 29 Seems like a bargain price too. It looked brand new and couldn’t see a mark on it: However I only sat on it in the store. I am hoping to get back and have a test ride, the chap I was talking to in the shop Give the impression he competes but certainly knew what he was talking about. He was offering the bike to me for a bargain price however I get sceptical that they just need to love the bike on.

The bronson and the 5010, I had a little ride, both felt similar over the extremely short distance, the bronson did seem to fit slightly better

As I said I won’t be doing crazy Dh, nor will I be doing massive jumps and drops,

I was looking at direct sales bikes (as per my precious thread) but I worry about the sizing and feel without testing them. so I am focusing more on shop bought.

I look at what Danny Mac does on a 5010 and think surely I don’t actually need any more travel... do I!

I will be doing all days with lots of climbing so maybe 130 would be better option.

When I built my chameleon I was so sure what I wanted, find my self now not knowing where size or travel
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I have done similar move although going from XC to Fulls Sus, it has been an absolute nightmare finding the right bike in stock. In the end I have gone for a Stumpy 140/150 I think slightly more than I need but from reviews and other user advice it may be perfect for do everything type bike ( Trails, Bike Park, Small amount of Downhill) and what ever else I fancy I hope. I think if you find something that suits just buy it or put deposit to hold as going so quick but if you have time to wait then not an issue. Good luck with the search.
    So Far!
  • Cheers buddy, I am in no rush just want the right bike
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If you are in no rush, then wait until the larger bike shops start doing demo days Sep-Oct). In addition to that, some of the bike trail centres host demo days as well. You have to leave a credit card impression (just in case you run off with the bike), but apart from that they are run very efficiently these days.

Find out beforehand what is on demo and decide which ones you want to test.
    Get there early and be ready to ride at least half an hour before the official start time. Be prepared to queue, especially if the weather is nice. This is your free chance to rag the 4rse off the bike to find out whether it is something you want to ride for the next couple of years. Ride as many as you can; its free, and you don't have to wash the bikes afterwards!
  • If you are in no rush, then wait until the larger bike shops start doing demo days Sep-Oct). In addition to that, some of the bike trail centres host demo days as well. You have to leave a credit card impression (just in case you run off with the bike), but apart from that they are run very efficiently these days.

Find out beforehand what is on demo and decide which ones you want to test.
    Get there early and be ready to ride at least half an hour before the official start time. Be prepared to queue, especially if the weather is nice. This is your free chance to rag the 4rse off the bike to find out whether it is something you want to ride for the next couple of years. Ride as many as you can; its free, and you don't have to wash the bikes afterwards!

That is a cracking idea. And thank you so much for the input. Also gives me a bit more time to gather more funds I guess.

I need to step back a bit and keep researching I was getting a bit blinded by that Cannondale and all the blingy bits, it was the full carbon version they said it was worth £5k but I could have it for £3k

But it’s going to be better to get the right bike and not get blinded by the bling
  • loltoride
    I would agree if your not in a rush just take your time and get the machine you want, hopefully you have more chance of getting a good deal. Good Luck keep us posted.
    So Far!
  • Thanks all for the input
  • Been out today and test rode a bronson and then a mega tower. Was just around the street, I could quote comfortably ride either. But the bronson just did it for me

The mega tower was a beautiful looking bike. But 170mm travel is more than I need for sure
  • loltoride
    What are you going to demo next or are you going to stick with Santa Cruz?
    So Far!
  • Well I was thinking I was going down the bronson or fall back on the Hightower. But looking at financial stuff I’m not sure I can stretch to a bronson so would be the R spec Hightower

However I have seen a beautiful trek remedy 9.8 carbon. 2020 model, brand new within budget. Great spec, lovely bike,

I’ve also seen a ex demo sentinel within budget.

So it’s either low spec Santa Cruz or can get a high spec alternative
  • I seem to be jumping around a lot out of frustration
  • loltoride
    I cant answer for you but I love Santa Cruz bikes but I dont think you can wrong with a high spec alternative - A Santa Cruz similar spec would be 6-8k which is just a guest.
    So Far!
  • loltoride said:

I cant answer for you but I love Santa Cruz bikes but I dont think you can wrong with a high spec alternative - A Santa Cruz similar spec would be 6-8k which is just a guest.

I love Santa Cruz too. I have a chameleon now, and I just love it. I love everything about the brand. But like you say to get a bike or similar spec I’d have to spend £6k plus. And not the £3k the other two are going for

I desperately want a carbon bronson or Hightower but a decent spec but they appear to be a lot more than I can stretch to at the moment