Going to FS from XC

Hi all just wanted some advice please I am currently looking on going FS still just for trails adhoc Bike Parks and a small amount of Downhill. Needless to say the choices are endless, I have decided to go with a 2019 Stumpy which I found with good discount. The Stumpy has a lot of sentimental value for me being one of the first bikes I owned a very long time ago and based on reviews see to be what I am looking for. I just wanted some advice prior to pushing the button.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind? Demand is high at the moment, don't take too long deciding.

No first hand experience of Stumpy but at a glance it ticks all the boxes and looks nicceee!🤘
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    A Stumpy is a legend in the mtb community, so buy without concern. As long as the bike fits you, is as described, and has been maintained, you will love it!

PS: I have never ridden one, but I know from the reports from owners and reviews in the press that it is a much loved bike.
  • Thanks both not made up mind totally yet and have not been able to demo due to covid the bike is new from Certini who have given me an option to hold for 2 weeks as we also purchased another bike.
  • reaperactual
    Would obviously be helpful to test ride before purchase, it gives a little piece of mind although with the Stumpy all you will need to know is if it's the right size.

My advice is if you already know the frame size that fits you, take a deep breath and push the button Pal!👍👍
  • Thanks all for your help took the plunge and have 50% deposit on a 2019 Stumpy, expected collection date 17th July. Unfortunately the dealer Certini are only able to provide collect from store and I presume quick setup as well but this may change nearer to date. So my hard-tail days seems to be over, now the fun starts I hope.
  • Thanks oxo I was recently looking for one then forgot about it do you think best to stick with manufacturer product ie Fox shock pump or do you have any recommendations. Thanks
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020

Thanks all for your help took the plunge and have 50% deposit on a 2019 Stumpy, expected collection date 17th July. Unfortunately the dealer Certini are only able to provide collect from store and I presume quick setup as well but this may change nearer to date. So my hard-tail days seems to be over, now the fun starts I hope.

Congratulations stevensonearl on your new Stumpy! 👏👍 Great bike and a wise purchase. Enjoy Pal! 😎
  • steve_sordy
    Congratulations on committing to your Stumpy!
    Any shock pump will do, they last years and years, and years!

In your rush to get out on your bike, don't forget to bed in the brakes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWQxGzHQZVU

And setting up your suspension.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ7ecZHx0wI
    That one is a quickie set up, but you will need more.

For more background understanding and to get the best out of your suspension, I 100% recommend you set aside some time to absorb this next download. You won't need all of it at once, but keep it and refer to it from time to time.
    https://bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/
  • Awesome thanks to both of you for the support just printing off guide now for a bedtime read, 16 days left.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Hi all I am the deleted user dont ask just some issues but all resolved now, need to pick up some pedals and shock pump now. Guy I sold my last bike to has not returned pedals and not much I can do.
    So Far!
  • loltoride
    5 Days into the big change - Still not used enough to make a firm decision but happy so far. I am shocked how fast bike goes downhill and see no issues going uphill at the moment although early days, 1st time with a dropper and so far I like but the action coming up takes getting used to needs to be slower.

I think I am going to try Flat Pedals although the XTR trails dont feel bad there where times when I felt really uncomfortable clipped in and needed to react quicker.

The other big change is 29er wow I am certainly using less energy to get where I need to but maybe should slow down (Bad Habit from riding XC).

So Far!
  • loltoride
    You could be right OXO I will get another weekend in and see how I go, I am hoping to get Leeds bike park.
    So Far!
  • steve_sordy
    oxoman said:

I went from flats to SPD,s and when I feel the need I will clip out 1 foot just in case. Might be worth sticking with them a bit longer.

I tried that but I never guessed correctly! My problem was an inability to unclip when my foot was at the top of the crank stroke. I was a lot happier when I replaced the spds with flats and proper flat shoes.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Replace the cleats on your shoes with the Shimano multi-release ones. They are easily identified by a large ‘M’ stamped in to them. They allow you to unclip by pulling/twisting upwards and outwards and this is much easier than having to keep your foot flat to unclip.
    Shimano part number is SH56.

If you are set on changing to flats though, how much do you want for your SPD pedals? I am after a new pair.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • loltoride
    Thanks JBA I always wondered what the other cleats where for but never looked into as SH51 worked fine - I may give these a try prior to going flat route - How much for pedals If I go flat not thought of yet but will send you pm.
    So Far!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd say stick with cleats if you can and get used to them, both have their fans but I really love being locked to the bike, if nothing else it reduces the temptation to dab a foot which intrinsically unbalances the bike when you do it anyway!

On all mine I still have the tension on only a click or two above minimum.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • loltoride

Personally I'd say stick with cleats if you can and get used to them, both have their fans but I really love being locked to the bike, if nothing else it reduces the temptation to dab a foot which intrinsically unbalances the bike when you do it anyway!

On all mine I still have the tension on only a click or two above minimum.

This certainly is my preference going to try a bit longer and also read far too many stories about the flat pedal connecting with the shin.
    So Far!