Help; Strange - braking sensation connected with grip on handlebars !

Ok , so i am travelling downhill and in the drops, i am holding the bars tightly but just happen to 'squeeze' the bars whilst in the drops and i notice the rolling resistance seems to reduce and the bike actually picks up speed almost as if a brake has been released, i then release my tight grip on the bars and I detect a subtle but distinct braking effect, it also occurrs on the tops.!!!! v strange

i have Hydro disc brakes and the bars have been wrapped by professional bike shop ....i can only think it is something to do with the hydro cables being constricted perhaps and then releasing when 'squeezed' ??

any thoughts to this strange phenomenon ????
cheers

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'll remember this for when I need an excuse for not riding fast enough ;)

When the bike is in a stand are the wheels spinning freely?
  • chris217
    chris217 Posts: 217
    he he ...ah yes a good excuse.

yes the wheels spin freely as did think of this ...there is a little 'disc rub on the front and have tested while spinning the front wheel and it doesn't seem to have an effect on the overall running speed of the wheel

its alsmost as if there is a drag and when the bars are squeezed it releases the drag !!
    very odd.

im sure it wont prevent any KOMs , not that i have any,,,,but just odd
  • chris217 said:

he he ...ah yes a good excuse.

yes the wheels spin freely as did think of this ...there is a little 'disc rub on the front and have tested while spinning the front wheel and it doesn't seem to have an effect on the overall running speed of the wheel

its alsmost as if there is a drag and when the bars are squeezed it releases the drag !!
    very odd.

im sure it wont prevent any KOMs , not that i have any,,,,but just odd

The chances are that as you squeeze the bars, you’re actually changing the position of your arms slightly ( elbows coming in towards your body perhaps ) and maybe hunkering down / tucking a bit. That would have a noticeable effect if you’re going down hill. The next time you do it, have a good look to see if your position is changing.

• chris217
    chris217 Posts: 217
    yes and thanks entirely possible , my immediate thought was it was a braking issue and the bar wrap was restricting the cables and by squeezing the bars tightly this was releasing however quite my position change may have an effect

cheers
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As Barry Manilow might say, 'could it be magic'.....
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    So what you are saying is that as you go down a hill, two things happen (1) you grip the bars more tightly (2) you pick up speed. I can explain (2) easily enough, but I don't think it is causally related to (1).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get someone to look at your calipers as you sit on the bike and squeeze the bars. Is anything moving ?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't hold the bars tightly, it's not necessary and often makes you tense in the shoulders.

Where do you think your brake hoses are routed the squeezing the drops would have any effect on them?