Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    edited July 2020

rjsterry said:

Anyone else read the About section?

The liberal/authoritarian axis is boring. Questions about civil liberties and democracy are less relevant than culture war issues are to current discourse. This is why we have decided to go with woke/conservative for the y axis.

Whole thing invented by two people with not enough to do.
    I'm not sure any of us is in a place to judge
    I'm paraphrasing the 'Who we are' section on the website, plus the various references to being bored.

Also, their flatmate posted this.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

Fair I think.

Almost the same as you. Two blocks further down.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    This cheers me up somewhat:
    https://cityam.com/johnson-driverless-trains-should-be-a-condition-for-transport-for-london-bailout/

Not sure robots go on strike at the drop of a hat...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    They also tend to be better drivers.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    And allow you to sit right at the front pretending you are driving.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    edited July 2020
    Yep on both counts - I like the DLR and it doesnt seem to have safety issues from the lack of human drivers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Stevo_666 said:

Yep on both counts - I like the DLR and it doesnt seem to have safety issues from the lack of human drivers.

maybe one for the intrigue thread but it does get hit by strikes
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

maybe one for the intrigue thread but it does get hit by strikes
    The person inspecting the tickets still has to check the platform is clear and turn a key to set the train in motion.
  • Stevo_666
    Less strikes though as less employees with hard line union reps to cause trouble.

And as RJS says, the machines are better drivers.
  • rick_chasey
    So it turns out the leaked papers Corbyn so proudly waved in the air were in fact, leaked by the Russians.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

So it turns out the leaked papers Corbyn so proudly waved in the air were in fact, leaked by the Russians.

Feels odd to suddenly release this before the intelligence committee releases the Russia report.

Almost like Russias end game is endlessly d!cking around, rather than wanting a particular person in power.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865

I seem to think that was mooted at the time. It'll be harder now for the Tories to block the report of Russian interference, if they are using parts of the report that (albeit fairly) benefit their narrative. Maybe they are getting this out first, to try to create a stir before the other forms of interference become public.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Preemptive whataboutery?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    No it's important. People don't care because Corbyn lost, but they should.

Even if this is a small piece of it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865

No it's important. People don't care because Corbyn lost, but they should.

Even if this is a small piece of it.

Of course it is, but so is the rest of the report on Russian interference - even if it says "there was no other interference". Unless the whole of the public part of the report is released now, the suspicion will be that the selective release is purely political.
  • Stevo_666
    Well shock, horror - Corbyn was a 'useful idiot' for the Russians in their attempt to interfere with the election:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/07/16/russians-played-jeremy-corbyn-useful-idiot-publicise-classified/

Not so sure about the useful bit, given the result :)
  • rjsterry
    Given the ISC fiasco last week, I'd say it's all going to plan for the Russians.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Stevo_666 said:

Well shock, horror - Corbyn was a 'useful idiot' for the Russians in their attempt to interfere with the election:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/07/16/russians-played-jeremy-corbyn-useful-idiot-publicise-classified/

If they are looking for a lack of trust in both sides, mission accomplished.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I think they were looking for the tories not to win the last election, given the subject and timing of that leak involving Corbyn. Massive fail :)
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think they were looking for the tories not to win the last election, given the subject and timing of that leak involving Corbyn. Massive fail :)
    🤣
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, they don't really care. Much like in the US, I'm sure they were happy that trump won, but undermining the system is what mattered.

Being found out is another positive for them. It all helps.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, they don't really care. Much like in the US, I'm sure they were happy that trump won, but undermining the system is what mattered.

Not really that fussed, it's not like we trusted Corbyn before that anyway. My point was that he's an idiot.
  • rjsterry
    edited July 2020
    Oh sure. I don't think there's much argument here on that front. The story of how that leak ended up on Corbyn's desk is interesting. IIRC the Russians had been trailing it around the nether regions of the Internet for some time before a Labour party activist spotted it and passed it on up to Corbyn's team. That none of them thought to question where it might have come from is particularly damning given that Russian interference was hardly a new idea.
    Mind you with his response to the Salisbury incident this is not surprising either.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    They were probably so desperate to land a blow on the Tories that they didn't think to check out the source/whether it was genuine etc and just put it out there. A bit like some people's posting on this forum :)
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not really that fussed, it's not like we trusted Corbyn before that anyway. My point was that he's an idiot.
    We'll see if you think that about others who have received their help (unwittingly).
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

We'll see if you think that about others who have received their help (unwittingly).
    I see you're not disagreeing with the point that I'm making.
  • kingstongraham
    That Corbyn is a tw4t of the highest order? Of course not.
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2020
    I wouldn't vote for him. Never have in any election. Guy's an idiot.
  • kingstongraham
    Someone like that in a leadership role, moves the overton window, has all sorts of unforeseen consequences.
  • Stevo_666
    That's the attitude ! :)