Thumb shift or grip shift?

Hello everyone

My daughter's bike has a Shimano SLTX30 6 speed rear shifter but the button has snapped off. I repaired it with Sugru but that didn't last long so I'm going to replace it.

My question is whether a grip shift would be more durable. Any thoughts / recommendations?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As above, go for thumb shifters.
    I don't know why manufacturers put twist grips on kids bikes. They are awkward to use with small hands and tend to put kids off.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I think they are simpler - you just turn one way for up and the other way for down.
    If the OP's daughter has figured out thumb shifters then I'd stick with it.
  • dapperdan
    dapperdan Posts: 9
    That's reassuringly consistent!
    Thanks all.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Another vote for thumb shifters here. My son is 9 and on his second geared bike. First thing I did on both was replace the gripshifters with thumb shifters. (Second thing was to convert from 2X to 1X.)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I took responsibility for kitting out my two grandkids with bikes, starting from when they were two years old. They have had twist grips and trigger shifters. They both preferred the trigger shift.

So, one more vote for trigger shift! They need less effort than twist grip. Also, it gets them used to what will come as they get older. If you are still on twistgrip and they are having trouble shifting into the biggest rings, then disable that option for a while until they get stronger. You can do this very easily by moving the limit screw on the mech.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99

I took responsibility for kitting out my two grandkids with bikes, starting from when they were two years old. They have had twist grips and trigger shifters. They both preferred the trigger shift.

I did the same for my Grand daughters bike, even I found the Gripshift hard to use!!

• loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I have just replaced my daughters thumb all the way.
    So Far!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    JBA said:

I don't know why manufacturers put twist grips on kids bikes.

3 reasons
    1/ They cost less
    2/ They are cheaper
    3/ They're less expensive
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yep, the most common one is the SRAM MRX and it's aweful.

Noting I have an X0 on my commuting bike (great for decluttering the bars, levers get caught up with neighbouring bikes in stands etc) and it has a lovely light crisp action.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.