Creaking

My wife's cube sting 140 has developed a really loud creak. It came on about a month ago and sounded like it was the handle bar stem, removed, greased seamed to go away for a ride.
Yesterday, if came back and sound like the bottom bracket area. Removed crank and and chain rings (race face), greased, probably worse! Double checked all in right order. It was. Changed pedals, no change. Lubed but did not strip pivot points. No better.

It comes on under strain and, oddly, after rolling off the pavement for a second.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    could be loads of things, tighten the rear wheel skewer, recently ive had a few wheels that were creaking, turned out it was where the straight pull spokes were in the hub
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    bit like an old wood floor... just leave it and ride it
    left the forum March 2023
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Seatpost is always a favourite.
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    I recently read about someone dismantling their bike, reassembling using the same or different components... They eventually found the noise in their saddle rails.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2020
    All my creaks sounded the same and I thought it was around the bb area. Left pedal, right pedal, seatpost, saddle rail clamp, rear hub bearings and the last one turned out to be the saddle itself.

Fixing creaks is easy, finding where it's coming from is the hard part.
  • wayneghall
    wayneghall Posts: 15
    Found it. Rear maxle thing. Tightened up a quarter turn, creak gone! Thanks all. Think just needed the morale boost!