Servicing a Zipp 303 free hub.

webboo
webboo Posts: 6,087
Could anyone point me in the direction of a how to do this video. As all the ones I have found no longer seem to play.
Thanks.

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2020
    is it a 88 hub? If it is then just bang the bearing out of each end, clean the freehub shell, lightly grease and replace the bearings
    hand tighten the bearing pre load and back of a bit
    Job done.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Haven't done one in a long time, but they are pretty standard hubs... 5 mm Allen Key jobs to remove the caps I think, then you pull out the culprit, give it a good clean, relube with grease and re-fit
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo
    Turns out you just tap the caps off. I used a quick release skewer from the other side. This and no preload adjustment makes them a bit sh*ty overall.
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

Turns out you just tap the caps off. I used a quick release skewer from the other side. This and no preload adjustment makes them a bit sh*ty overall.

You can live without preload, there is a lot of load on the wheel and once it's there, side to side movement is prevented. I seem to remember the older hubs did have a preload cap, but maybe I am confusing them with some others... it's been a long time since I played with a Zipp hub
  • webboo
    I have had the bearings and the free hub replaced. However you can still move the rim from side to side.
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

I have had the bearings and the free hub replaced. However you can still move the rim from side to side.

You can, but try leaning on the saddle and do the same, you'll find that you can't... and that's what happens when you are riding
  • webboo
    I’m sure you are right but none of my other wheels have play in the bearings like the Zipp.
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

I’m sure you are right but none of my other wheels have play in the bearings like the Zipp.

I had a Novatec 542 hub that was the same... never been a problem
  • webboo
    I do get brake rub when climbing out of the saddle unless I have the pads well off the rim.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Must be a lot of side to side play then... time for a tiny washer carefully placed in the right spot?
  • webboo
    Can you explain please.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you have play, it means the axle is allowed to move sideways, or in other words, the hub body is allowed to slide on the axle, when the latter is clamped at the ends in your dropouts. If you add a tiny washer at some point between the two hub caps, that won't happen anymore. Problem is where to place it and how thick it needs to be. Definitely a sub millimeter washer, maybe at the base of the freehub or between the freehub and the hub cap. One could start by trying a thin plumbing rubber washer with the inner hole the same size of the axle and see what happens. If it's too thick, you'll have a lot of friction, or no movement at all
  • webboo
    Thanks