How important is the look of your bike?

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
I would NEVER ever buy a road bike simply because of looks. 🙂
(If I were commuting everyday ... then I guess it would be a different matter.)

But then... I understand the madness of buying a fat wheel beast where you have to slave labour to ride!

For me it has to be a chunky mountain bike.

Just wondering if anyone else was mad like me? 😛

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Full on tart here. Even to the point of buying a new rear brake because it didn’t match the front. Road bike obvs
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    When I'm choosing a new bike, there are so many to chose from that I have to narrow down the field. I will do all the usual research on geometry, reviews, spec etc.

But it will not make the cut unless it has what I call the "look back factor". In other words, as I walk away from it do I look back at it (in loving admiration). I use this policy on cars, bikes and women (er, I used to use it women, now not at all, oh no, absolutely not, never in a million years, no!!)

That factor can be anything from a stealthed out beauty in satin black (bike), to a blingy thing in metallic Aegean blue (bike), to a sporty metallic tango red (car), to a grey-haired tanned model in size 12 (wife).
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Very.
    Even my commuter has to look good. I want to get some deeper alu carbon wheels just for the looks 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Some bikes I don't overly care about, town bike, child towing bike etc. But everything else has to look right, not for anyone else, just for me.

I'm currently spraying up a new rack for my commuter.
    I could have left it black, but I'm changing it to bright yellow B)

Cable protectors, valve caps, bottle cages, bottles, saddle bags, handlebar tape, cable outers are all ripe for getting them just so.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Some do, some don't.
    Be your own man/woman.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • omarm
    omarm Posts: 73
    Seems there are a few other nutcases like me. LOL.

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Most manufacturers make good bikes, so yes looks does come into the decision.
    If I prefer the look of A over B, and they're similar geometry, spec and price, then I'll go with the one I prefer.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    omarm said:

Seems there are a few other nutcases like me. LOL.

I think you may be on your own you would never buy a road bike because of looks, now I only ride MTB but see awesome looking road bikes almost everyday. It is important how my bike looks but that is usually down to colour and I cant seem to get away from stealth black which I would love to.
    So Far!
  • Big poseur/fitness loseur fits me well. Always pretty bikes with a Colnago Master/Cinelli/Campagnolo being the ultimate goal. Said it before, most frames just look ar8e achingly dull. And no black components either.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    edited July 2020

Big poseur/fitness loseur fits me well. Always pretty bikes with a Colnago Master/Cinelli/Campagnolo being the ultimate goal. Said it before, most frames just look ar8e achingly dull. And no black components either.

Something like this? 🤣😉😎🚴

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Big poseur/fitness loseur fits me well. Always pretty bikes with a Colnago Master/Cinelli/Campagnolo being the ultimate goal. Said it before, most frames just look ar8e achingly dull. And no black components either.

Something like this? 🤣😉😎🚴

Drool ........
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    And just to make my earlier point seem trivial, I’ve just spent another bunch of money on a Di2 bar end junction box to make the front look more streamlined. I am truly a bike tart with all of the gear and absolutely no idea. I’m that person everyone overtakes, shaking their heads sadly when the think of the waste that my bike being attached to me represents.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    All my bikes make me feel slightly weak at the knees. I'm not saying I don't like function, but form follows function and it has has has to be beautiful. Riding my Cinelli Nemo, the slight curve on the hoods of the Chorus hoods, the little bird on the topcap willing me on, the subtle fleck in the purple toptube, its all evocative stuff.
    Insert bike here:
  • parryman
    parryman Posts: 153
    Unfortunately i need to ruin most aesthetics just to ride a bike, as i usually run maximum seat post, even on XXL frames.
    My Fuji Tourer looks the most 'normal' as it is a 65cm frame, and had a relatively small amount of seat post showing.

All being said, my bikes live in a grotty garage most of the time, and when they are in use, I ain't looking at them.
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
    .•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨).•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.•´¸.•*´¨The Amazing Parryman
  • I never used to care really. However I’ve now discovered that if the bike is a looker, it’s far easier to find the motivation to ride it lots.
  • ......... I’ve now discovered that if the bike is a looker, it’s far easier to find the motivation to ride it lots.

That goes for so many things other than just bikes; cars, women....I'm sure there's lots more (horses I suppose).
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Forums, in his case.